Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411643 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 07:21:48 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytesting[Prototype] Bad Things Happen- A Game about Home Invasions
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [Prototype] Bad Things Happen- A Game about Home Invasions  (Read 661 times)
srslypretentious
Level 0

View Profile
« on: May 23, 2014, 08:03:13 AM »

Bad Things Happen is a game about home invasions. You play as a father desperately trying to prohibit invaders from gaining access to his home and family.

Hi all!  Gentleman

Here is the first prototype for the project I am currently working on: Bad Things Happen.

My focus for the game is the provide the player with the experience of facing the unknown- that feeling that makes you pause when hearing a noise late at night. It is essentially a game of hide-and-seek between an enemy and yourself, the stakes of which is the safety of your family and your possessions.

It is very early in development at the moment, and riddled with bugs. I appreciate any amount of feedback you would like to give- like seriously, anything at all (see below for some focused questions).  Coffee

Play Bad Things Happen Here: I took the link down for the moment, will post an updated build soon(TM).

Gameplay
The game is split into two “stages”: upgrade and defend. During the upgrade stage you can buy an upgrade if you can afford it, and during the defend stage a burglar tries to break into your home and either reach one of your possessions or family members.

If the burglar reaches a possession he steals it, if he reaches a family member, “bad things happen”. Moving into the same room as the burglar causes him to run away.

Upgrade Stage

Defend Stage

Focused Questions
1)Did you understand the goal of the game?
2)Did the music fit with the theme?
3)How was the pacing of the game, did you feel things happened too quickly or too slowly?
4)Was there anything you felt is broken, or what you feel is the "most" broken?
5)Was there anything you felt worked well in the game?
6)Anything else?

Known Problems
  • Music not always playing throughout the game or not restarting when the game restarts.
  • Create more paths for the player to move through the house.
  • Upgrade stage has various problems, such as not calculating/updating the points correctly, needing more points to buy an upgrade than its’ cost and able to buy upgrades when not having the correct amount of points.
  • Only load upgrade window after first level so that the player actually has points to be able to buy something.
  • Grammatical typo in one of the load screens.  Facepalm
  • Pathfinding and navmeshes are dodgy to say the least.
  • Burglar sometimes get stuck at the beginning of the level.
  • Line of sight triggers and overlays sometimes show the wrong overlays or don’t show anything at all.
  • Needs to be clearer what differences upgrades make during the attack stage.
  • Need to provide more feedback to the player about the different end states. Currently, game overs, wins and game finished aren't really discernable.
  • Need to provide more feedback about the consequences of  when the burglar steals something or reaches a family member.

DevLog: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=40750.0

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 09:32:13 AM by srslypretentious » Logged
castled
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 08:57:05 AM »

edit: forget what I said below, it looks like Unity webplayer is broken for me right now, not your issue

Something is wrong with the input for me, sometimes space wouldn't work to progress through the intro text, and clicking on the "Continue" button on the first upgrades screen did nothing for me, so I couldn't play the game Sad
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 02:27:28 PM by castled » Logged

Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 10:35:00 AM »

1) Yes, I think the goal is quite clear.

2) I really like the slightly unsettling music, but I wish it actually played during the game.

3) The text speed was a bit slow, but the gameplay speed seemed all right. The house itself could use a path at the top, though, because going all the way around the bottom takes forever.

4)

Bug: When I returned to the upgrade screen, I had two points and it wouldn't let me upgrade my locks. With three points, it was possible, but the other two weren't available even though they should have been. Worse, I seemed able to install both the alarm and cameras with only four points. The cameras didn't cost me anything at all (if they were even installed).

Bug: The pathfinding for going down the lower hall, heading right, didn't work well. Most of my clicks didn't even cause the father to move at all, so I couldn't properly protect that half of the house.

Typo: "...and the father's resolve where put..." -> "were put"

5) The basic concept is a good one and the feeling of entering a room only to see the burglar standing there, then watching him flee out the door/window was great.

6) Why does it tell me to "Choose upgrades" on the first screen, when the game should know I don't have any points to spend yet?

I feel there should be more feedback about the upgrades I've bought. There's no indication on the upgrade screen's map that the locks are upgraded, for example.

There's also no real feedback about the consequences of failure. My TV was stolen, but I didn't lose anything. In fact, I gained the ability to upgrade my locks even though I also had to buy a new TV. When "Bad Things Happen" like the baby being taken, the game resets without telling me anything or giving me a "Game Over".

The baby's crying was a bit weird, because it went on long after the baby was gone. It was also the only sound I heard during my time playing, which seemed weird. Why not windows opening, footsteps, worried grunts as the robber runs off, etc.?

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
srslypretentious
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 04:55:42 AM »

Something is wrong with the input for me...

Thanks for the edit, got a little worried when I saw you couldn't play the game at all.

Thank you very much for the awesome feedback!

I added a list of known problems in the original post.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic