Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 09:17:48 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsWings of Saint Nazaire (Retro Space Combat) New Alpha Live! (IMAGE-HEAVY!)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Wings of Saint Nazaire (Retro Space Combat) New Alpha Live! (IMAGE-HEAVY!)  (Read 29461 times)
Cakeypigdog
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2014, 02:53:31 AM »

hnnnnnnnnnnnnnng!

That HUD is looking so cool.  Love it.
Howard Day
Level 1

Huge fan of spaceships and exposions.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2014, 05:57:17 PM »

Finished up the Diamondback cockpit, now we're on to other things, like possibly making the human ship-selection screen functional.

Main Art guy on Wings of St Nazaire, here's our Devlog, and my Personal Website. SPACESHIP!
Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2014, 06:11:59 PM »

Quick question, is the HUD real-time? Or is it just animated to look cool?

Either way I can't wait to play it  Grin

Muzz
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2014, 06:30:40 PM »

Holy shit, that is sweet. That is really really cool.

I have nothing else of value to add.

Howard Day
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2014, 06:32:40 PM »

Either way I can't wait to play it  Grin
It's real-time. There's a post a page back about how we do it. :D It's mostly just moving geo at an angle through a flat plane, and adding a texture with scrolling UVs.
Also, there's a build available to play right now at www.wingsofstnazaire.com!

Main Art guy on Wings of St Nazaire, here's our Devlog, and my Personal Website. SPACESHIP!
Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2014, 08:21:04 PM »

Either way I can't wait to play it  Grin
It's real-time. There's a post a page back about how we do it. :D It's mostly just moving geo at an angle through a flat plane, and adding a texture with scrolling UVs.
Also, there's a build available to play right now at www.wingsofstnazaire.com!

I just played it, my reaction?  Crazy

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2014, 02:56:05 AM »

So I made a thread for the game on NeoGAF
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=848510

A few people are confused about this:
We're currently focusing on finishing the content we need to release a multiplayer combat game, with TF2-style game modes.
Is the game going to be MP-only? The current alpha is single player.

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2014, 09:51:47 AM »

Hey, Wings got featured in RPS's Devlog Watch
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/07/07/devlog-watch-tim-cosmonaut-path-to-the-sky-more/

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
gambrinous
Level 4

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2014, 09:53:11 AM »

Just wanted to say superb work on the cockpits  Gentleman

Howard Day
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2014, 02:47:45 PM »

Slader16: Thanks!
Muzz: Awww, thanks sir!
Christian: The first release of the game will be a MP game. The second release, however will be a single-player campaign, one where the space combat is melded with a lucas-arts style adventure game. Here's a couple of shots from that portion:

Thanks for the heads up on RPS!
gambrinous: Oh, I'm glad you like them! I'm working on the next one already. I'll start posting up WIPs as soon as they don't look like nonsense.

Howard Day
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2014, 12:41:35 AM »

Tonight's Devlog update: Text Rendering and Ship Collisions

Hello, again! Tonight I worked on fixing our text rendering and general jaggy-ness of our cockpit displays. I did this by turning off our old Unity Post Process AA effect, which at the 640x400 resolution we run is fairly ineffective.
Instead, we turned on 4x MSAA, which is slightly faster, has lower system requirements, and looks much, much better. Here's an example:
Old Text/UI rendering:

New Text/UI rendering

The other thing I tackled tonight was the ship collisions. When we transitioned over to OnTriggerStay() for our weapon collisions, that meant we lost the automatic physics collider reactions. After a brief period of worry, the solution was very simple - just add a second, non-trigger collision shape. It's a minor thing, but in the next build, the ships won't be flying through each other anymore, and the player can once more take damage from the aliens.

Now that this minor bit of housecleaning is done, I'm back on the Hognose cockpit. It's definitely going to be an interesting one, and not something that's been seen before. I can't wait to show progress!

Howard Day
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2014, 12:34:56 AM »

Greetings, It's Howie again. Tonight I worked on the human ship selection screens - more accurately tonight and last night - there as a lot to be done here, and some of the renders took quite a while.
Each of these is filled with parallax, with around 12 different layers that shift as your viewpoint changes.
Boomslang:

Copperhead:

Diamondback:

Cobra:

That leaves only one remaining to do, the Hognose Bomber, then I can focus in on the functionality and we can make this live!
That would allow all of you to fly another ship for the first time! We can't wait to hear your feedback on all the different flight/weapon/loadout styles. Any thoughts or suggestions?

moure
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2014, 01:25:37 AM »

Those hangar shots are great! I would love to see some wireframe renders of them.
Coming from an arch-vis background(where things like uvmaps dont matter much) i always admire the proper uv mapping and texturing work you have put in there.
Do you use some texture painting program, or are all these done in the regular photoshop action? Also which renderer did you use for these hangar shots?

Cheers!
Howard Day
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2014, 10:55:36 AM »

Thanks, moure! I'll post up some wireframe renders in the next update! I just use plain-vanilla Photoshop, and 3dsMax's material editor for texturing. I use a lot of procedural textures and gradients to blend a large set of textures together to get the result I want. I just use the old-as-dirt 3dsMAX scanline renderer. I throw in a lighttracer component as well, but it's all pretty bare-bones.
Thanks again!

DoorKnobHandle
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2014, 01:04:36 PM »

It's-a-me, the programmer. We had a bunch of exposure on PC Gamer, Rock Paper Shotgun, Kotaku, Gamestar.de etc. this last week and - as a result - a BUNCH of new bug reports came in through e-mail, twitter and our forums. I'm happy to be able to say that I was able to iron them all out pretty quickly!

A lot of issues, player invulnerability, max turn rate differences between mouse and controller input, a cockpit sprite error when using inverted pitch, multiple instances of the options menu being opened and a lot of other issues are now resolved!

A new and great alpha update is on its way. Keep your eyes peeled!
Howard Day
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2014, 07:20:12 PM »

Hey guys! Tonight I got the logic for the ship selection screen all working. I've still got to add effects and more stuff on deck in each shot, but the basics are there!

We're going to be working on getting this polished up for you, and the next big Alpha update will let you fly 3 of the 5 different ships!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 11:25:18 AM by Howard Day » Logged

Seaport
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2014, 01:43:34 AM »

This all looks really good, especially like the ship designs, looking forward to seeing more Smiley

Howard Day
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2014, 11:34:10 PM »

Thanks, Seaport!

Hey everyone! After a ton of polishing we've got the Ship Selection interface just about exactly where we want it to be.

Enjoy that short glimpse of sweet, sweet background information. :D
Now, the only thing remaining is to clear up some minor gameplay bugs and integrate Daniel's new "Choose your ship, pilot!" hangar music.
If all goes well, we'll have a new update on Saturday!

Howard Day
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2014, 03:37:00 PM »

Hello, Everyone. Unfortunately we're going to have to delay the Alpha update till tomorrow - Jan is incredibly busy and Daniel's still working on the updated music. I meanwhile am running around like a madman, tweaking weapon effects, adding new sound effects, tuning weapon values and generally touching everything I can to make sure this will look as awesome as possible when the time comes to send it out into the wild. Thank you for your patience, and I hope the delay will be minimal.

team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2014, 05:31:38 PM »

This game...  Gentleman

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic