Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411506 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 09:55:51 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsReturn of the Obra Dinn [Releasing Oct 18]
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 44
Print
Author Topic: Return of the Obra Dinn [Releasing Oct 18]  (Read 935735 times)
cougarten
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #640 on: May 01, 2016, 06:23:16 AM »

Great great game!

Here some feedback:

- For me the display never is crisp. Even in Precice or Reduced mode

- arrow keys where nice. As your controls are simple that would make you get away without key setup for exotic keyboard layouts like mine. Also good for non-gamers (the timeless-ness is really great to introduce someone to the first-person mouse-look)
- I wonder if it's necessary to have a timer for the flashbacks after all. It doesn't feel good to start a flashback again, just to see if you missed something on the upper deck. Maybe flipping the pocket watch to close by a click would be good. Also more elegant than the extra door in the white (which is only there on the second time you see a flashback?).
- I too don't like the stripes on the otherwise beautiful waves
- I think the arm would benefit from a bit more speed so it's not so super smooth, but more of a distinct movement and than countering inertia at the end.
- the hand work on click, even if it's still a few inches away. While it's nice to actually trigger the event and not have a short walking in between, it's really easier to grasp that "hand == i can click for action".
- ladder climbing could be done with the arrow keys maybe? feels strange to loose control. At least the fiew should still be free (maybe restricted to the back)
- auto closing doors feel weird, maybe they can be flappy and fall back with the waves? Ratteling doors you left open would be nice too Smiley
- opening the memento mortem box leaves you in another locked position where you loose control.
- the timing of the last string notes when entering the flashback seems a little too quick.
- leaving a flashback through the door in the white you could cut the music with the end of the drum whirl, not before.
- zooming should be consistently available in non-flashback too
- doors opened after a flashback are very blury. Is that on purpose? http://malea.lacerta.uberspace.de/up/b3613ae9-bb04-4b3c-88a3-d1239a610c58.png Also happens to the grid cover next to the stairs down.
- if it's not relevant to the story and just the one line in the beginning: I might prefer a silent character, that does not give away his voice and gender

Cheers and thanks for the devlog and all!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 06:33:32 AM by cougarten » Logged
Sporkaganza
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #641 on: May 01, 2016, 06:38:01 PM »

Been following this project for quite a while, finally registered to give some feedback.

• The comment about the dither being affected even after you stop "moving" is right on. It doesn't matter in the present-day sections since the boat is constantly moving, but in the flashbacks it looks weird when you come to a stop and the lines fuck around for a couple seconds.
  • I also agree that the POV character should not have a voice. The lack of quotes around his dialogue suggested that to me in the 0.0.4 build, so if you still want to give him a voice then I think it'd at least make more sense for his lines to be in quotes too.
  • Aside from a little bit of the reflection of the moon in one spot, the ocean has no detail whatsoever. This might be an intentional aesthetic decision, but it does break the immersion slightly. Everything else feels real enough even though objectively it's very artificial, but the ocean FEELS artificial to me, if that makes sense.
  • I also had an issue where I fell inside the floor in one of the flashbacks.
  • On the muster roll, everyone else just gets a country while the captain's place of birth is Cornwall. What makes him so special? I mean, I guess being the captain, but it seems inconsistent nonetheless.
  • I'm not sure why everyone seems so confused by the blurry doors. For me it reads clearly and is a perfect fit - it turns what initially felt like a cheat into just another part of the watch's powers.
  • Uh... the voice actors are going to be credited in the final game, right?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 06:50:24 PM by Sporkaganza » Logged
martincerdeira
Level 0

1UP!

View Profile
« Reply #642 on: May 02, 2016, 10:08:09 AM »

I just played the GDC build and I must say: The game is fucking awesome!!
When I reached the end of the demo I left the game just wanting to play more.

Some feedback:
  • I would like to have an easy way to "cancel" or skip a memento if, for example, I already saw it.
  • I really like the art style but being 2 colors combined with 3D I found myself a bit lost sometimes, like if I'm playing "Red Alarm" on Virtual Boy.
  • Sometimes I see something like a "tv static" on doors, I don't know if this is intentional.

Great game!
rjw801
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #643 on: May 02, 2016, 02:15:00 PM »

I would like to have an easy way to "cancel" or skip a memento if, for example, I already saw it.
If the Memento Mortis is still rewinding, you can simply click again to cancel. If you're already in the flashback, you can go out the magic door in the wall of haze on the deck. The door won't be there on the first playthrough of a flashback, though.

Sometimes I see something like a "tv static" on doors, I don't know if this is intentional.
This is to illustrate that a door which was previously closed has now been opened thanks to the power of the Memento Mortis.
martincerdeira
Level 0

1UP!

View Profile
« Reply #644 on: May 02, 2016, 03:35:20 PM »

I would like to have an easy way to "cancel" or skip a memento if, for example, I already saw it.
If the Memento Mortis is still rewinding, you can simply click again to cancel. If you're already in the flashback, you can go out the magic door in the wall of haze on the deck. The door won't be there on the first playthrough of a flashback, though.

Sometimes I see something like a "tv static" on doors, I don't know if this is intentional.
This is to illustrate that a door which was previously closed has now been opened thanks to the power of the Memento Mortis.

Thanks rjw801, I'm aware of those things you mentioned.
The thing is, playing the game myself and talking about it with some friends I noticed that I'm not the only one who found this two aspects a little odd.

But, yes, it is going too much into detail, nothing about the game is really "bad" Smiley

Bye!
rjw801
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #645 on: May 02, 2016, 06:30:32 PM »

I noticed you changed the suicide from the first dev build quite a bit. In 0.0.4 it was easy to see who it was, but in this demo you kind of have to assume who it is, as you can't really see his face.

Ah good point, I hadn't thought about that. Gun to the chest felt better from a character standpoint but yeah, now you can't see his face. Hmmm...
I don't think that's really a problem, since you can see the trail of blood he left from when he got stabbed from the previous vision. Also, his voice is the same in that flashback as in the other ones where is is clearly identified by his title. So there's still plenty of information to deduce his identity, I'd say.
Sporkaganza
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #646 on: May 03, 2016, 08:41:49 PM »

I noticed you changed the suicide from the first dev build quite a bit. In 0.0.4 it was easy to see who it was, but in this demo you kind of have to assume who it is, as you can't really see his face.

Ah good point, I hadn't thought about that. Gun to the chest felt better from a character standpoint but yeah, now you can't see his face. Hmmm...
I don't think that's really a problem, since you can see the trail of blood he left from when he got stabbed from the previous vision. Also, his voice is the same in that flashback as in the other ones where is is clearly identified by his title. So there's still plenty of information to deduce his identity, I'd say.

Agreed, I think it's a better choice too. It's slightly less information, but there's still plenty of indicators to help you figure it out. Actually, small things like that may help the player feel more like they're "solving" something.
unipus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #647 on: May 04, 2016, 04:22:48 PM »

Through internet magic, I stumbled on this devlog on this otherwise excellent-looking site and had to create an account! So, thanks for that. Hundreds of hours of my time will now be lost to LEARNING and being INSPIRED. Ugh.

I read about most of this thread, skipping past as many spoilers as I could, and decided to go straight to the most recent demo – which, hey, turns out to be very recent!

Overall, I think you've succeeded at building a wonderful mood. The visuals, audio, and themes all pulled me in. Like one other commenter, I do wonder how you scope this up to a complete game – but I also have complete faith you've figured that out or soon will. It's probably a very interesting game that I will suffer at (I suffer from facial recognition problems to a degree – it'll be interesting to see how that plays out with 1-bit faces versus real life!) but I'll definitely be waiting to check it out as it goes.

A few things that I don't THINK have necessarily been beaten to death in this thread already, but I might be wrong...

- like others, I found the inability to crouch frustrating. Honestly, I think this game has exactly the kind of immersion that calls for AS MUCH freedom of perspective as possible. Six degrees of freedom would be wonderful. I'm aware that's not a likely implementation but I'm also having trouble understanding your stated aversion to crouch.
- similarly... I found the inability to pick up objects (like the knives, axes, etc) that SO DESPERATELY want to be picked up very frustrating! My guess is this comes from two angles: 1) less asset manipulation means less time spent on assets, and 2) you're clearly trying to subvert some of the conventions of game genres here. If the emphasis is on #2, I'd just say that I get that, but it left me feeling really hamstrung by the limits of the world, rather than open to truly explore it. And I would point to Firewatch (another game which successfully subverts many of the very same conventions).
- is the game supposed to tell you whether your deductions were correct or not? Because I'm fairly certain I got two fates correct and one slightly wrong... but I saw no feedback one way or another on that.
- regarding the specific suicide scene (I also deduced who this was but couldn't make out the face)... I'd think you could simply re-position the gun/blast somewhere less obstructive. To the side of the head, under the jaw, etc.
- also was a little aggravated by the self-closing doors and the fast, steady way in which they closed. Maybe a slow, unsteady closing, as if triggered by the wind/rolling of the ship?

Sporkaganza
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #648 on: May 04, 2016, 04:27:32 PM »

- is the game supposed to tell you whether your deductions were correct or not? Because I'm fairly certain I got two fates correct and one slightly wrong... but I saw no feedback one way or another on that.

First page of the Muster Roll has a little stamp which shows the number of fates you've guessed correctly. It's pretty easy to miss, though.
ZoidZilla
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #649 on: May 07, 2016, 04:50:16 PM »

I have to ask: is that a cradle we see against the starboard wall of the captain's ready room? Are we going to have a dead baby in this? Sad

I think that is the captain's bed. On sail ships it's build like a cradle and it swings like a hammock to counter the movements of the ship. It is also the captain's coffin in the case he dies at sea.
BartsBlue
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #650 on: May 16, 2016, 02:27:56 AM »

I have played GDC version and then hunted down the first dev version just to see what changed. And there's sh!tload of things that were added: details on the ship, new scene, voiceovers, various graphical modes (including colours!). So don't go saying "it's almost the same", no, it's not, even a nobody without gamedev experience such as myself can see a lot has changed.

Brilliant atmosphere, splendid execution and now I can't wait for the release to see if it goes more in the direction of Edgar A. Poe or H.P. Lovecraft...
bambosze_babuni
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #651 on: May 17, 2016, 03:38:29 AM »

I'm not sure if that's the right place to post this kinda stuff, but I just want to say that during investigastion of first skeleton (after picking up the "compass", but before starting first flashback) I was able to fall on the lower deck (Gun Deck?) and after short time of walking around I fell on the bottom of the ship (Cargo Deck):

I wasn't able to recreate the problem again, so I can't provide exact steps to reproduce it, but I will give it a shot later today.
dukope
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #652 on: May 29, 2016, 05:26:04 PM »

Thanks for all the feedback and comments. I've been head-down in finalizing the narrative (and reworking the Maya tools for a 3rd fucking time) and have enough of a breather to post an update here.

The two biggest surprises in all the feedback I've gotten are:

1) Confusion over the noisy static effect on doors. Talked about below.
2) Falling through the floor everywhere. I guess Unity's physics just aren't as robust as I assumed.

Response dump...

[...] like others, I found the inability to crouch frustrating. Honestly, I think this game has exactly the kind of immersion that calls for AS MUCH freedom of perspective as possible. Six degrees of freedom would be wonderful. I'm aware that's not a likely implementation but I'm also having trouble understanding your stated aversion to crouch.
- similarly... I found the inability to pick up objects (like the knives, axes, etc) that SO DESPERATELY want to be picked up very frustrating! My guess is this comes from two angles: 1) less asset manipulation means less time spent on assets, and 2) you're clearly trying to subvert some of the conventions of game genres here. If the emphasis is on #2, I'd just say that I get that, but it left me feeling really hamstrung by the limits of the world, rather than open to truly explore it. And I would point to Firewatch (another game which successfully subverts many of the very same conventions).[...]

Both of these (no crouch, no pickups) are specifically designed to focus the game space. There's nothing to gain from shuffling through drawers, picking things up, crouching to look at stuff, etc and it's a false lead to even let players attempt it. I know it seems super limiting right now but the sleuthing problem opens up so wide later on that any distractions like that would be really frustrating. Can you not open this door because you didn't pick up the axe, or because you didn't find the right flashback? Well, you can't pick up anything so it's not the axe; keep looking for more bodies. My plan is to establish these counterintuitive rules right away (there's an axe right on deck and the first few rooms are full of drawers) so the player is on target as soon as possible.

Menu bug: Open the manifest. Click on a crewman's fate. Click on their fate to open the options. Press ESC. (The manifest closes). Reopen the manifest. Again, click on a crewman's fate. At this point, the manifest is locked, and neither will the fate options appear nor will the back button work. ESC still closes the manifest. This bugged condition resets after a flashback.

Thanks for this. Will fix.

[...] I've noticed that there are significantly fewer crew members (only six pages instead of eight), some of them have had their names modified, cities of birth have been simplified to just countries or changed to a different place altogether, and many have had a change of career. A couple appear to have even changed genders!

All of the names in the earlier dev build were placeholders. Even in the GDC demo I wouldn't say they're final. I also cut 20 crew members at some point. The "Place of Birth" column was simplified when I realized that British accents are extremely location-specific. Better to just say "England" than to require an actor to match a specific regional accent, or risk UK players being annoyed. (The captain being "Cornwall" is an oversight. He should just be "England" like the rest.)

The comment about the dither being affected even after you stop "moving" is right on. It doesn't matter in the present-day sections since the boat is constantly moving, but in the flashbacks it looks weird when you come to a stop and the lines fuck around for a couple seconds.

Brent sent me an updated shader that should help with this but I haven't had time to integrate it yet. Hopefully before release...

I also agree that the POV character should not have a voice. The lack of quotes around his dialogue suggested that to me in the 0.0.4 build, so if you still want to give him a voice then I think it'd at least make more sense for his lines to be in quotes too.

I'll think about this. I really like the actor's voice here, and it'd be a little weird to have silence for these lines but I agree that not placing him/her so precisely would be cool.

Uh... the voice actors are going to be credited in the final game, right?

Yeah absolutely. I have elaborate plans for crediting the actors and just didn't have time to put it in the demo.

For me the display never is crisp. Even in Precice or Reduced mode

That's bizarre. What resolution is your monitor?

I wonder if it's necessary to have a timer for the flashbacks after all. It doesn't feel good to start a flashback again, just to see if you missed something on the upper deck. Maybe flipping the pocket watch to close by a click would be good. Also more elegant than the extra door in the white (which is only there on the second time you see a flashback?).

For reasons that I can't quite articulate, I like that the flashbacks are time limited. Makes it more of a glimpse than a hang-out-for-however-long thing. Also it allows timing with the music.

[...] I too don't like the stripes on the otherwise beautiful waves [...] Auto closing doors feel weird, maybe they can be flappy and fall back with the waves? Ratteling doors you left open would be nice too Smiley

The waves are otherwise really difficult to texture map. Without the stripes their form is invisible. I'll experiment with a different mapping method though. Also I'll try to get the doors to swing back more gently, and only when you're not standing right on top of them.

[...] So don't go saying "it's almost the same", no, it's not, [...]

Thanks Smiley I just personally expected to make a lot more obvious visual progress in 1.5 years.

Brilliant atmosphere, splendid execution and now I can't wait for the release to see if it goes more in the direction of Edgar A. Poe or H.P. Lovecraft...

I read "The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket" by Poe recently and man, that is one weird book. Starts normally but quickly jumps the rails and flies off into the sunset.

[...] I was able to fall on the lower deck (Gun Deck?) [...]

I think the problem is that the deck floors are made of multiple adjacent single-sided meshes. This is an optimization for the lightmapper, so any one object isn't too big, but it's probably not good for the physics engine. I'll switch to large convex collision objects for each deck floor and hope that fixes it.

kopknaf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #653 on: June 02, 2016, 09:54:19 AM »

dukope check out this short movie from 2013

Sporkaganza
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #654 on: June 03, 2016, 08:03:17 PM »

You never did get around to talking about this. I'm sure you're a busy man, but I was still a little amused by that. Responding to comments one-at-a-time can get people sidetracked quickly.
dukope
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #655 on: June 05, 2016, 05:38:10 PM »

dukope check out this short movie from 2013

Holy shit. I wonder if they were inspired by the old Mac look too...

You never did get around to talking about this. I'm sure you're a busy man, but I was still a little amused by that. Responding to comments one-at-a-time can get people sidetracked quickly.

Hah, you're right. Looking back I don't even know where I intended to followup on that Tongue

I like the static effect enough to keep it so the problem now is how to make it less confusing. One of the things besides open doors that can be pulled forward from a flashback is dead bodies that may be strewn about. I don't want to automatically pull these in just by visiting a flashback though - you'll need to actually find and view the body first. The game will show the static effect briefly in the flashback to indicate this "noticed" state for both doors and bodies. Hopefully that'll kill both birds: feedback that you've found something that'll appear in the current time, and make it clear what the static actually means. We'll see.

cougarten
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #656 on: June 12, 2016, 06:13:09 AM »

That's bizarre. What resolution is your monitor?

1920x1080
dukope
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #657 on: June 12, 2016, 05:44:14 PM »

Vignetting

Some words about the bit where the world fades to white outside a certain area.

Flashback vingetting

The idea of limiting where the player could look/go in the flashbacks came up way back when I was experimenting with the 1-bit blur effect. One of the applications there was an "area of effect" to keep the player focused on important items. Blurring was way too distracting but the idea of vignetting the flashbacks seemed like it had potential. My thought process:

Vignetting: Bad

1. Limits the player's search space

One cool aspect of the game is how you can explore the whole ship at different moments in time, discovering clues and secrets. Limiting each flashback to a small area nixes that.

Vignetting: Super Great

1. Limits the player's search space

This can seem bad near the start of the game but later on, with a large number of flashbacks available, it keeps the player from having to search the entire ship X times for something they may have missed. 

2. Faster production

It's much easier to make a flashback when I don't need to pose the entire ship and crew for each one. That makes it more feasible to add individual death scenes where I would've packed multiple deaths together or had them off-camera before.

3. Reduces the level geometry

Cutting away >50% of the ship per flashback gives me way shorter lightmap generation time and faster scene rendering; without having to get clever on the technical implementation.

Verdict: (3 > 1) vignetting is super great

Settled. My first implementation was a fade to black. Looked good but just felt depressing in all that darkness. Also it gave a "spotlight" effect where it wasn't entirely clear that darkness = not there, as opposed to just, well, dark.

Fade to black

Without the shader effect, to show how much geometry can be discarded

Fading to white felt more surreal, and fixed the depression:

Fade to white

After getting this in, I stumbled on a solution to a different and totally unrelated problem...

Exiting Early

It was a common request from the first dev build to add a way to exit the flashbacks early, especially on a second viewing. While designing the dialog system I had a bug once where the music and dialog started at the same time. That caught my ear as being kinda neat and so I added the option, on second viewing, to skip the fullscreen dialog playback and jump right into the scene with the music and dialog audio overlapping.

Music and dialog are playing together here. Dialog is subtitled instead of fullscreen.

That gets you into the flashback quickly, but how do you get out of it quickly? The game only has one action button so I'd worked out a slightly convoluted way to zoom when near faces or bring up the watch when not looking at someone. Tapping action again with the watch up would start the exit animation.

Fortunately the vignetting gave me a better idea: Just walk outside the scene and the flashback will end.

Walk into the white to end the flashback

Brilliant. Felt good, made sense. There's a rising drum-roll effect and the watch lifts as you walk out; it's also possible to cancel the exit by walking back in.

I took this build to GDC. Of all the people that played, exactly zero walked into the white to end the flashback early. No one even tried. It turns out that fading the whole world to white outside a certain area is like drawing a wall, and players are trained to not run into walls. I talked with a few people at the show about this and someone suggested that I put them in a really small flashback first, to basically force them to wander into the white. A good solution but I don't have a small flashback near the start of the game. 

Enter, the door:

Walk into the mysterious door to end the flashback

Yeah! It looks out of place but I'll take that over onscreen instructions or frustrated players any day.

Now, the opposite problem. You see a door like that and you are absolutely compelled to walk into it, first thing, without delay. Nothing could stop the player from immediately strolling through it. Fortunately (again) that's ok because I don't want the flashbacks to allow early exits on first viewing anyways. So the option to skip the fullscreen dialog and the door only appear on second viewing and there's hopefully no problem communicating this implicitly.

Story Visualization

Figuring out the narrative for this game has been tricky. The general ideas weren't too hard to work out but drilling those down to incorporate all the deaths and clues is another thing entirely. The structure is surprisingly complicated due to the severely limited mechanics. I can only drop nuggets of story and identity information when someone dies. And a death is only observable if you can find the body, either in the current time or a flashback. The player is often working backwards through time but they can also find bodies out of sequence. At the top level the game is divided into several large disasters that kill a bunch of crew members around the same time. How do you string all those deaths together in a way that's coherent for the player?

First, a shot of my crew board to illustrate the scope (blurred to avoid spoilers, sorry):

Gotta kill these 60 peeps

I can't work through anything like this without a way to visualize it. Similar problems came up for Papers Please where wrote a couple custom tools to help:

Papers Please custom economy tool

Papers Please custom event tool

I'm all about spending money to solve problems on this game though so I looked at some commercial tools to help with the process (working on OSX here). My first stop was a traditional writer's tool called Scrivener:

Using this makes you feel like a total pro but it turned out to not be that useful for me. It's designed well for traditional non-interactive story development but doesn't help that much for non-text visualizations, which I need. Next, something more visual:

Better. Scapple is a really simple app that lets you create boxes with text or images and connect them with lines. That's it. Using this I could easily lay out the general progression of events on the Obra Dinn using snapshots of each crew member's face. It wasn't enough to get down to the precise details of who-killed-who and which-body-you-find-when though so I kept searching. Round 3:

Maybe better. OmniGraffle is a (very expensive) diagramming tool with tons of features. Great for visualizing dependencies. The downside is that it's built for office workers and I found laying out 60 crew members with information and arrows was clunky and slow. Playing around in here did give me some ideas about what might be better though. Round 4:

Retrobetter. Monodraw is really cool. It's a diagramming app rendered/edited in ASCII characters. I got surprisingly far with this. Enough to realize exactly what I needed. Which ended up being a lot like a simple spreadsheet app with a tuned interface:

Timeline, a custom HTML5 story layout tool. Faces & names blurred for privacy.

Another custom tool. Gonna set a personal record here. Each row is a crew death. The game starts at the top and moves down as the player finds each new body/flashback. The columns from left to right represent the time of the death.

Timeline lets me define and visualize when someone died, who killed them, where their body is found, which doors their flashback unlocks, where clues to identity appear, and who is present in each flashback. It's a simple javascript/HTML5/CSS thing that took a few days to put together. Being HTML5, it runs on both Mac and iPad. 

Doing this sort of story layout requires a lot of staring at the ceiling and it's been nice taking my iPad to the local coffee shop and working for a bit there. I think this is the first project where I've done any serious work outside the office.

The deaths are all laid out now but there's a few plot holes and questions left here and there. Meanwhile I've restarted implementing all the flashback scenes, after rewriting the Maya tools again jesus for the last time I really hope.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #658 on: June 12, 2016, 10:40:40 PM »

I actually kinda like the idea of a door floating in white nothingness. Maybe a different style would fit better though; making it an ellipse instead of a rectangle or something.

Since my daty-to-day job is designing interfaces, I really, really would like to see a screencast of that tool (with mock-entries of course, no spoilers) to see how you use it and how you built it around your specific needs.

Slightly silly idea perhaps, especially now that you have a custom build tool, but maybe an interactive fiction engine like Twine or Inform7 is a good option for the storyboarding? Let's you make interactive text-only mock-ups easily!

http://twinery.org/

http://inform7.com/
Lim-Dul
Level 1

The Necromancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #659 on: June 13, 2016, 12:38:20 AM »

Nice to see that exiting flashbacks early made it into the game. The was one piece of feedback that I (among others) provided way back.

The thought process on how to implement this shows why you, and not I, are a game designer. Wink

It's good that the scenes are only skippable on second+ viewing and that you managed to come up with an organic way of incorporating that mechanic.

I would agree with JobLeonard that the door/gateway out of the flashback might need to be made a bit "cooler". How about some kind of vortex thing? Or maybe making the door have some kind of distortion effects akin to a fata morgana. Flashback scenes are static, so people would probably understand that the door is not part of the scene but rather a thing put there due to a gameplay mechanic.

Otherwise - cool write-up on the death/story modeling. As someone who is currently creating workflow-diagrams for complex business process in Visio I feel your pain and the need to find something that EXACTLY suits your needs. Smiley

War does not determine who is right - only who is left. - Bertrand Russell
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 44
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic