Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1292053 Posts in 57334 Topics- by 48369 Members - Latest Member: bobbobbob77

April 24, 2017, 01:05:55 pm

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsFeedbackDevLogsReturn of the Obra Dinn [GDC 2016 Demo Build]
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38]
Print
Author Topic: Return of the Obra Dinn [GDC 2016 Demo Build]  (Read 381259 times)
Sentionaut
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #740 on: April 18, 2017, 03:13:03 am »

Wow, nice effect. I must admit I had some trouble at first understanding the last two images, but I guess it's easier to read during gameplay, and moving around.
Anyway, it makes "motions" look a lot more physical and interesting. Really cool. Smiley

Thaumaturge
Level 3

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #741 on: April 18, 2017, 10:29:01 am »

That is a really neat effect--I do worry a little that it's going to obscure things a bit much, but that's something that's tricky to speak to without a more in-depth demonstration, I think.

If I understand correctly that dust particles are always single pixels, this technique should, I think, have the advantage of the cloud "naturally" thinning in the foreground, as the visual space between particles should be greater in the foreground than the background.

Hmm... If the particles are always single pixels, what do you intend to do about changes in resolution changing the apparent density of the dust cloud? Or does the game work in only a single resolution?

Traversal, exploration, puzzles, and combat in a heroic-fantasy setting
Website ~ Twitter
dukope
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #742 on: April 18, 2017, 01:40:20 pm »

If I understand correctly that dust particles are always single pixels, this technique should, I think, have the advantage of the cloud "naturally" thinning in the foreground, as the visual space between particles should be greater in the foreground than the background.

That's exactly right. It mostly has the effect of obscuring things in the distance. Up close the particles effectively disappear.

Hmm... If the particles are always single pixels, what do you intend to do about changes in resolution changing the apparent density of the dust cloud? Or does the game work in only a single resolution?

Right now the game is limited to just 640x360 as a stylistic choice. A little arbitrary but everything so far has been designed against that and some things (mostly character models) don't hold up well at a higher resolution. Dust pixels are always scaled to a 640x360 screen so when I do test something like 1280x720 each dust particle is 2x2 pixels. Also doesn't look that great and another reason I'm trying my best to make it all work at 640x360.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #743 on: April 18, 2017, 10:46:11 pm »

I could probably play an entire game in just that empty fog style Shocked
Thaumaturge
Level 3

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #744 on: April 19, 2017, 10:21:37 am »

Right now the game is limited to just 640x360 as a stylistic choice. ...

Aah, that makes sense--fair enough, then! ^_^

Traversal, exploration, puzzles, and combat in a heroic-fantasy setting
Website ~ Twitter
cougarten
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #745 on: April 19, 2017, 01:06:59 pm »

Can't you expand and than contract the 2d collision pane to avoid places to get stuck in? (instead of removing the chairs legs)

All passages should be quite a bit wider than the player and stay open and thin edgees or points don't get smoothed off/away.

edit: a player in a 2d hamster ball would do the same  Cheesy
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 01:43:41 pm by cougarten » Logged
io3 creations
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #746 on: April 19, 2017, 01:18:35 pm »

The fog effect looks good!  The only issue that comes to mind is that due to monochrome colors, certain objects/features might be hard to see.  Kinda like a whiteout effect.

Frappa Studio
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #747 on: April 19, 2017, 04:30:58 pm »

Very amazing, graphically and technically. Thanks.  Shocked

dukope
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #748 on: April 20, 2017, 06:32:05 am »

Can't you expand and than contract the 2d collision pane to avoid places to get stuck in? (instead of removing the chairs legs)
All passages should be quite a bit wider than the player and stay open and thin edgees or points don't get smoothed off/away.
edit: a player in a 2d hamster ball would do the same  Cheesy

I like your thinking. That end result looks great. IIRC, the original Quake actually does this exact thing in 3D so that collision testing can be done with points/lines instead of spheres/capsules. It generated something like 3 different fixed sizes (point, player, shambler) of collision data for each level. So if you wanted a solid dynamic object that collided with things, it had to be one of those sizes.

I do expand the shapes a little bit but don't contract afterwards since I want some separation between the player and the walls. The player is modeled as a circle, not a point, and currently the basic 2D circle/poly collision response is smooth enough at keeping the player out of small gaps that I haven't had to take it farther. Basically, yeah, a 2d hamster ball.

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic