Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411991 Posts in 69441 Topics- by 58486 Members - Latest Member: Fuimus

June 17, 2024, 01:38:17 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Google Help
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Google Help  (Read 2313 times)
SteveHarris
Level 0

No, I'm not the guy from Iron Maiden

View Profile WWW
« on: December 28, 2008, 07:33:59 AM »

Hi All,

Just finishing off the website for my new game and wondered if anybody knows how to get your google entry to show like this: http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=aquaria&btnG=Google+Search&meta= with links for different parts of the site?

Thanks in advance all

Steve

Javilop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 08:17:50 AM »

Hi!

This is something you can not directly control. Google creates these links automatically for each page taking in count in several factors as page rank, entry pages, etc.

SteveHarris
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 08:27:14 AM »

Thanks Loover. I wondered why I couldn't find any info on how to implement it!

Steve

Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 09:24:26 AM »

Actually I don't think that's entirely true. You can influence this by embedding spider-friendly meta-information in your site. I don't know the specific values however. I'll try to find them...

Edit: Ah it's not standard but rather Google-specific. What you're looking for is here, referred to as a Google "Sitemap".
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 09:30:52 AM by Core Xii » Logged
Javilop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 09:32:25 AM »

You can influence this by embedding spider-friendly meta-information in your site. I don't know the specific values however. I'll try to find them...

That's sounds interesting. Share it if you find something, please.

I tried in the past using "Google webmasters tools." Having a sitemap, etc. But I didn't found any option in order to influence directly upon such links.
Javilop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 09:36:51 AM »

If you use "Webmasters tools", and you go to "Link>Site Links" you can read this:

Sitelinks are additional links Google sometimes generates from site contents in order to help users navigate your site. Google generates these sitelinks periodically from your site's contents.

Because we generate sitelinks dynamically, this list can change from time to time.

Google has not generated any sitelinks for your site. Sitelinks are completely automated, and we show them only if we think they'll be useful to the user. If your site's structure doesn't allow our algorithms to find good sitelinks, or we don't think that the sitelinks are relevant to the user's query, we won't show them. However, we are always working to improve how we find and display sitelinks.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 12:36:02 PM by Loover » Logged
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 12:32:10 PM »

It's related to your sitemap (if you have one) I think. I don't know.

SteveHarris
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 05:47:40 AM »

Have now added a sitemap... i'll let you know if it works!

Javilop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 06:11:15 AM »

Like I said, is not the sitemap what creates those links. I have sitemaps in all my pages and none has still these links. Only webpages with high pagerank on subpages have them.

Maybe you can influce a bit with the sitemap, but I haven't read anything about that in any official google help.

What is official is the text I copy pasted before.
Javilop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 06:13:30 AM »

What you can only do is to block the Sitelinks showed that you don't want to appear:

Please, read this:

http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=47334

At the moment, sitelinks are completely automated.
medieval
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 06:31:12 AM »

if you spam your website on a lot of places like forums and stuff, no doubt that you'll get your rank up.

I do not recommend it though
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 06:44:46 AM »

Actually not, because most forums use 'no-follow' tags, which means links from them do not count towards Google pagerank. If you want to get your pagerank up, you need to get links from sites with high pagerank, not forums and such.

Javilop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2008, 06:58:06 AM »

If you want to get your pagerank up, you need to get links from sites with high pagerank, not forums and such.

100% Correct.

And I would like to add that is not only a webpage with high pagerank, it has to be an important subpage (or the index, of course) and the link is more much valuable for Google if it is inside text with keyworkds (not only in a link list).

I like SEO Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic