Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411468 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 12:15:58 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPlanetoid Pioneers - built with a NEW engine: Crush2D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Planetoid Pioneers - built with a NEW engine: Crush2D  (Read 22756 times)
Data
Giant Enemy Crab
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2014, 10:00:06 AM »

More grindin'... time for sleep:

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2014, 01:52:42 AM »

The character locomotion still looks kinda floaty but I'm sure it's partly a symptom of being so zoomed in. Looks better in the more recent gif than the first anyway - he's just really jerky, almost fast-forward. Looks great when stopping and clambering on the gib junk for sure.

That friction based particle stuff looks sweet, especially with the bigass rock.

Would be interested to see a day time rocket launch with that dust stuff. Big billowing smoke clouds is something I got working in CC mods - with about 15 fps. would be a nice stress test of Miro's particle stuff that's a little more gameplay relevant than the floating "test" particle systems!

Greipur
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2014, 04:10:55 AM »

When reading your inspiration I've a hard time figuring out how all that will fit together. I'd like to see a more thorough explanation of the general gameplay aesthetic. One thought that comes to mind is Giants: Citizen Kabuto though. What with exploration together with a fixed base you can invest in.

Looking forward to try it out. I've many fond memories of CC (an interesting albeit flawed gem imo). So I've faith that PP will be worth playing. Especially since I'll be able to wiggle about with your physics and Arne-art. Oh, and I like the idea of old timers in space. Did that for a small space exploration project myself a couple of years ago. I can recommend getting inspiration from Time Masters (1982), Silbad from the film is a crazy and charming old space adventurer.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 01:33:11 PM by Greipur » Logged

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2014, 05:07:05 AM »

*subscribe*

Data
Giant Enemy Crab
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2014, 03:50:01 AM »

Thanks for the nice feedback, guys

Geti: Big, billowing dust is no problem with GPU rendering Smiley

Greipur, that Time Masters movie is blowing my minddd.. can't believe i wasn't aware of it before! PM me if you want a recent build to play with.

We are getting a LOT of progress done on the scene building workflow:

Will help tremendously to build and prototype various challenges/puzzles/areas and then easily putting them together into the final scene (which are now up to 1km x 1km.. but can be made 4x that size if necessary)
absolute8
Level 5

WTF, some aggressive nerd... (•̀ω•́)و ̑̑

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2014, 07:19:18 AM »

The level of awesome in this project is staggering. Please finish it and take my monies! Hand Money Right

Greipur
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2014, 08:19:30 AM »

Greipur, that Time Masters movie is blowing my minddd.. can't believe i wasn't aware of it before! PM me if you want a recent build to play with.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. That's great, I'd love to try it.

PeteHuf
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2014, 12:41:17 PM »

Looks very cool! I'm surprised there is no mention of Blaster Master yet. The tank is very evocative.

Biodrome Devlog! Competitive exploration in procedural platformer adventure worlds.
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2014, 05:27:32 PM »

The old design doc on Arne's page is explicitly about blaster master, but mentions that it's kind of merged into metroidcitebionictribes.

Data
Giant Enemy Crab
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2014, 04:37:25 AM »

Oh yeah - blaster master is such a fundamental influence to this that i sometimes forget to mention it!

Anyway: PLANETOIDS ARE HAPPENING:

The grid is 1x1 km, and the circular world (with appropriate COG in center) is a quite a good use of the space. Need to make rotating camera, trickery for revolving starry background, and properly flexible control schemes for the Pioneer to handle a rotating gravity acceleration vector and also in microgravity (when you get really deep into the planetoid's innards, or get stuck in orbit by traveling at escape velocity and taking that rover off a sweet jump)
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2014, 04:07:29 PM »

Plausible to have some smaller planetoids with satellites as well, or is level geometry pretty static?

How are you planning on filling in the terrain gaps? or are you just going to leave that space black?

Data
Giant Enemy Crab
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2014, 10:07:10 PM »

Terrain is completely static, yeah. Still can have geostationary satellites with their own (exaggerated) gravity fields though.

We have a special solution already implemented for the inbetween of rocks; works alongside the  lighting model... will post more about that soon
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 10:13:44 PM by Data » Logged
Data
Giant Enemy Crab
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2014, 12:34:57 PM »

Round and round and round. This is so much better and less problematic than the scene wrapping i foolishly did in CC:
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 01:01:47 AM by Data » Logged
Data
Giant Enemy Crab
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2014, 01:01:11 AM »

What goes up must come down... or go into orbit
Noogai03
Level 6

WHOOPWHOOPWHOOPWHOOP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2014, 09:55:15 AM »

The parallax within the planet centre is rather disorienting when the planet is zoomed out...
Otherwise this is incredible so far, a really good planetoids-based game should be awesome :D

So long and thanks for all the pi
Data
Giant Enemy Crab
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2014, 01:30:11 AM »

Based Arne art + dat Data physics +  big smooth gifs leaves me quivering.

The physics engine development is only directed by me this time around; credit for actual implementation work goes to Miro, our lead engineer. He is about 10x better and faster programmer than I ever will be

- D
Data
Giant Enemy Crab
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2014, 02:17:39 PM »

Ride 'em, cowboy!!

In sprit of
http://youtu.be/WgNhoZVrSVE?t=4m46s
and
http://youtu.be/8FpigqfcvlM?t=18m20s
Data
Giant Enemy Crab
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2014, 10:06:37 AM »

Buildin' bridges and structures that are anchored to the terrain

Data
Giant Enemy Crab
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2014, 07:26:54 AM »

And this is what happens if you are a sloppy bridge builder

Bombini
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2014, 07:31:12 AM »

I love cortex command...and i im pretty sure that i will love this Well, hello there!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic