Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 04:01:16 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioFeedback Thread...! (READ OP BEFORE POSTING!)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Print
Author Topic: Feedback Thread...! (READ OP BEFORE POSTING!)  (Read 80807 times)
Jason S. Longia
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 08, 2015, 11:22:02 PM »

@facture

Thank you kindly  Coffee I'm gonna play around with reverb and see if I could get that slightly bigger room as you and M4uesviecr said, not to "drown" the piece and see if it fits with the art direction. I'll use a preset that's close and go from there. The silence, I played around with it, eg: using the reverb vst's decay option and pushing it to its limits which gives it a spacey effect, but it doesn't really relate as well as just using silence towards this piece, I thank you for the critique of using a different direction. I'll study redux and play with velocity.  Hand Pencil

@M4uesviecr

Nice use of velocity and reverb, I understand what you mean by filling the space, my art direction in mind was to have it have a slight reverb and focus on the highs of the EQ bringing out that "loud radio like sound" if that makes sense. Kind of like those piano songs you hear in anime that dont have much reverb, if that makes sense.

Yep the space thing is either here or there, half a second could mean all the difference, its never easy, even when humanizing silence, as in raw emotion instead of counting the beats XD.

The arpeggio and breaking of the chords idea is pretty nifty, I'll check em out.

Thanks again everyone! :D

Aliases: R3MR pronounced "Reemer or Remmer."
Powerword: Jason S. Longia (lol)

A pleasure to meet you all. I am Jason, an avant-garde composer.

I also dabble in the game making
and art making scene.

Gamejolt: https://remr.gamejolt.io
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/jason-s-longia
Jason S. Longia
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 11, 2015, 11:12:46 PM »

@Ark
Your Avant-Garde Classical style is gorgeous, you transcribe your gusto from image to sound very nicely.  My Word!
Loved "One Versus All", and "Medieval Heavy", you really do gusto up your trills! Thanks for the inspiration bruh!  Evil
You made me visually see purple and black soul ribbons for your "Drunken Ghosts" song. Sick stuff!  Grin Blink Corny Laugh
Your style reminds me of Arnold Barnabas and Paul Arnold's Medieval (PS1) OST. Very gothic stuff!

...In any case, my not so impressive stuff is here. It's NIER inspired and Royalty-Free. :D
https://soundcloud.com/jason-s-longia/valhalla-and-oblivion-royalty-free-music

and art making scene.

facture
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 16, 2015, 04:55:48 AM »

@Remr not sure if you removed your song, but I can't seem to get to it.

So, my friend is working on a sort of fast paced ascent game with guns.. and he asked me to make a track for it. This is what I've come up with so far, and I'm quite pleased considering I haven't done much 8bit music before.

I definitely think the drums need some work, and the melody, but what do you guys think? Also, I don't know if this song should become a loop or if I should make it into a finished track for something else..
Jason S. Longia
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 23, 2015, 09:34:39 PM »

@facture

Sorry facture, yes I have as I feel that it didnt compliment the style that I'm known for.
As for your song, it's nice and nostalgic, all I can think of would be maybe add a reverb to it, I kinda imagined it being like an army base in the clouds or something. As for the art direction in general, I'm unsure, maybe try adding to it and I'll have another look at it if you want. Hope that helps ^_^

Well, here's my latest song, it's BDSM and 80s Hardstyle Techno/House/Dance inspired.
Enjoy Smiley
https://soundcloud.com/jason-s-longia/no-quitter

and art making scene.

Spencer Bambrick
Level 0

Games, Music, and Cats

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: October 04, 2015, 07:03:37 PM »

@Remr

I loved that song! Really nice use of 3D space in the mix, and the tempo changes are killer. Really crisp percussion sounds too, I'm definitely into it Smiley

Here's a track that I'd love some feedback on actually. I've been tossing around the idea of writing a concept album geared towards a narrative-driven game, and this is somewhat of an introductory sketch to see what people think of it. It started out as basically a duet with viola and solo soprano, but I ended up orchestrating around it a bit. Let me know what you all think!

https://soundcloud.com/spriteremix/two-souls-an-introduction?in=spriteremix/sets/music-for-website

Game Design & Music

itch.io Page: https://entanglementinteractive.itch.io/bird
Breakdown Epiphanies
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 05, 2015, 11:06:50 AM »

That was pretty great Spencer, I enjoyed every bit of that piece. I don't have much critique to offer but thought I would drop you a line anyways  Hand Thumbs Up Right

Breakdown Epiphanies
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 05, 2015, 11:08:05 AM »

By the way, is that a live singer or a very convincing vocal library you used?

Spencer Bambrick
Level 0

Games, Music, and Cats

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: October 05, 2015, 11:59:23 AM »

By the way, is that a live singer or a very convincing vocal library you used?

Thanks! It's much appreciated. Definitely a live singer Smiley Actually if any of you are familiar with video games live, she's the vocalist and flute player known as flute link. She's awesome!

Game Design & Music

itch.io Page: https://entanglementinteractive.itch.io/bird
Breakdown Epiphanies
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 15, 2015, 03:04:03 AM »

I've just finished this Mixdown of my latest work for the Battle Brothers soundtrack. It's a piece that will play on the world map layer of the game where your party is travelling around, alongside 5 other tracks that are already in the game. I am not fully satisfied with the sound yet, for example I need to dial down a bit of the low end at the end as it gets a bit too muddy. But I am still very fond with where it is going and I thought this would be a great time to get your thoughts, ideas, criticism on the music/mix as it is still work in progress:

https://soundcloud.com/breakdownepiphanies/battle-brothers-ost-worldmap-six-sketch/s-jg2X7

Thanks for listening!
Patrick
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 04:26:30 AM by Breakdown Epiphanies » Logged

Barendhoff
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: October 28, 2015, 01:29:01 PM »

Whoops, it's been a while!

R3MR - No Quitter:
Cool track; nice use of arpeggio's and the percussion works well. The end's pretty nifty, too! To me, this piece is definitely more comfortable to listen to than some tracks you posted before. Progress! As for feedback, I'd recommend some changes in the mix. The sound effects that are layered on top of the track's main body--the bubbly sounds and the swooshes--seem a little too high in volume, which gives them a sense of detachment. By reducing their volume, I think you might find them more a part of the whole, comfortably embedded into the track's main body. Smiley

Spencer - Two Souls: An Introduction
First off: neat idea to write a concept album geared towards a narrative-driven game! It'll be a splendid exercise in consistency and coherence throughout a large body of musical work! Do you have a story in mind already? Grin

As for the track itself: lovely. Very enjoyable composition with touching dynamics! I'd recommend a few things, though perhaps that's just a matter of personal preference. Overall, some additional (soft!) layers could make for an improvement--like you've done in the Toromiro title track. Love the swell in that track!

Furthermore, I'd make slight additional changes to the volume level of the viola (the one doing the arpeggio's), bringing them up and down as the arpeggios flow onwards from 0:25 to 0:54. The swell at 1:23 might be more touching with some extra instruments chiming in (layers again; cello and woodwinds would work great, I think!), while the percussion in the final climax at 1:30 feels a little too present in comparison to the other instruments.

Finally, I think some more overall presence could work here. The track feels rather soft. Bluntly increasing volume levels is generally not the best idea, of course, so again I'd recommend more layers, even if they're running at -20dB. Running a maximizer over the track could work too, but the final climax is bound to clip then so you'll have to configure the maximizer accurately.

In any case, excellent job on this track! Let's see what other gems you keep on your Soundcloud; I really enjoy your lush and crisp swells. Do keep sharing your stuff on here! Grin

Patriiiick! - Battle Brothers Worldmap VI:
Nice to hear more from Battle Brothers! You shared a great deal a while ago and it's cool to see where you've taken the soundtrack in the meantime. The overall feel of the track seems suitably solemn while inspiring a sense for battle during the second half. Goodies! The chords work well and the horns do a wonderful job when they come in at 0:26. Subtle use of vocals near the end!

As you've said yourself, you'll want to dial down a bit of the low end. Perhaps not at all times--it feels fine at the end?-- but definitely at 1:29 when that drum kicks in! On a general note, be wary of using a single articulation for too long. It's tempting, but has the downside of sounding a little unnatural. As it is now, for example, the cello playing in the intro sounds like it has the exact same attack all the time. The same goes for many of the other instruments in the first minute. You can mask this by doubling the desired line and having another sample library play it alongside the first. Blend them carefully and they'll cover each other. Alternatively, you can govern their attacks some more by using volume automation.

Secondly, perhaps it's worth considering to let the music between bars in the first minute connect some more, as they do between 0:40-0:45. Not because it's better from a musical perspective, but because it can help make it less apparent that you're using MIDI, which is totally fine but not something you'll want people to be reminded of. For example, at the bar transition at 0:45-46, the attack of the new bar's instruments feels too rigid, slightly interrupting the flow of the piece. Maintaining the one-bar sequences works in the track and is a valid compositional choice though, so if you guys feel like that's the right thing to do, go for it. Just be on the watch for your MIDI instruments. Grin

______

Myself, I've been working on a personal project during weekends: remaking music from World of Warcraft. I've finished remaking music from the Westfall area earlier this week and would love to hear feedback on all the things. This is an exercise in listening, composition, arrangement, mixing and control over MIDI instruments, and while I like to think I've made a fair rendition of the

piece, I aim to get much better with every piece I do and I'll need your help with that! Grin

Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: October 30, 2015, 11:47:00 AM »

Yay! The thread is going strong! =D

@Patrick:

This is sounding great as usual. You have a knack for building tension and then releasing it in a very adrenaline pumping, full force kind of way. It is really fitting for BB and it's fun to listen to! You never know what you're going to get, or where the piece is going to transform.

I listened and tried to find things that Baren didn't comment on. In the intro primarily, and another spot, the transitions are a little flaky (volume change at 00:23, and drum drop out at 00:46). The strings kind of hiccup rather than fade gradually, and the drum dropping out at 00:46 seemed abrupt.  Transitions after the major mood change sound good, though!

Aside from the transitions, I felt that the opening (beginning to 1:00) felt stagnant. I know at times, layering ideas as a piece progresses kind of keeps the music alive, but with the suspended strings, it felt.. consistent, but with little life. The way I can illustrate it is the difference between a lake with still water and a pond with small ripples. They are both serene, but one has more spirit than the other. Perhaps try playing with dynamics? Parts breathing and releasing?

Actually, now that I relisten.. I think you are actually doing that, but it sounds sporadic. Kind of like some instruments are fading and some are not. It's not exactly unison, I suppose. Try exaggerating it a bit more and perhaps unifying the dynamic shifts across the instruments.

That aside, great piece! Can't wait t hear the finished product.

@Baren:

So glad you introduced me to this piece. WoW has been as much of a surprise to me as Skyrim. I always associated Western orchestral composing with.. well.. trombone clusters, and stereotypical "fantasy" Celtic music, but this stuff is SO freaking good. Great to be proven wrong.

I think your rendition is awesome. You paid such close attention to detail and it shines through tremendously. After listening through and comparing it to the original, I think the only thing I noticed was balancing discrepencies. Where it felt like an instrument was overshadowing another when it wasn't their time. Example:

0:33, 00:45, and 1:44 (violins, more so).

Perhaps letting the strings hang back. I feel like this is extremely tricky (for me, anyway), especially using synthesized instruments. Getting the instruments to feel and sound as if they are sitting behind the instrument, yet giving them the ability to push in front when it is necessary. Those are the only three times when it seemed as though the balance was off-kilter.

Another! The beeesssttt part at 1:13. Something was sticking out to me and I think it is the fact that the strings are stopping before the transition. It seems really small, but it felt as though the piece wasn't.. moving forward like in the original. In the original, the strings don't seem to stop but rather, they back off. When they held back, it felt as though the piece was preparing you for another wave, but when stopped, that motion was lost.

Could just be my ears, but I felt the motion break at 1:13 and 1:24, but the third push, it sounded like you didn't cut the strings off. It felt much more fluid.

That's about all I heard, though. Looking forward to the next one you recreate!

Barendhoff
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: November 11, 2015, 09:00:26 AM »

Thanks Mues! So glad you took the time to have a listen. I hear what you mean with regards to fluidity. Looks like I'll be training to level up my automation skills some more! Same goes for balancing. I'll definitely keep these things in mind for the next recreation! Smiley

MikeSal
Level 0

Yo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: November 13, 2015, 03:35:55 PM »

@fracture
This is a great start! Love the graininess. It sounds very nostalgic but at the same time pretty unique. The panning is also done very well. Definitely hoping to hear more of this!

So, its been a while! Its me MJS.

Here's a battle theme for an RPG or something. I'm trying to explore using more real instruments but keeping a pinch of retro in there. I also tried to make use of panning for pretty much the first time ever so tell me how I did!

https://soundcloud.com/mikesalois/worthy-adversary

Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 03:48:21 PM by MikeSal » Logged
Barendhoff
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: November 14, 2015, 02:01:28 AM »

I think you accidentally the link!

MikeSal
Level 0

Yo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: November 14, 2015, 01:25:26 PM »

I think you accidentally the link!

Oops haha! Its up now.
Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: April 08, 2016, 03:40:59 AM »

Hello, Mod. Is there anyway that we can sticky this thread? We are getting a lot of individual posts requesting feedback, and the purpose of this thread was to put all those posts in one place, while also encouraging others to give critique!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 04:11:20 AM by M4uesviecr » Logged

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 08, 2016, 04:23:52 AM »

I'm pretty sure you're gonna have to refference the thread from outside of the subforum in order to garner up any attention from our lords and saviors.

Barendhoff
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: April 10, 2016, 10:08:56 PM »

I'm glad this thread is stickied now; it's useful to keep (requests for) feedback in one location. We can learn from feedback on each other's work and have a central place to discuss, instead of sticking to individual threads.

MikeSal, I never got to giving feedback on the track you've posted in November. Would you still like feedback on that? Or have you moved on to other tracks, or made an updated version in the meanwhile?

Kyle Preston
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: April 10, 2016, 11:24:10 PM »

I'm glad this thread is stickied now; it's useful to keep (requests for) feedback in one location.

Very agreed. Persuading future feedback posts to this thread is now on my radar.

alaicc37
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 01, 2016, 03:46:44 AM »

@Remr not sure if you removed your song, but I can't seem to get to it.

So, my friend is working on a sort of fast paced ascent game with guns.. and he asked me to make a track for it. This is what I've come up with so far, and I'm quite pleased considering I haven't done much 8bit music before.

I definitely think the drums need some work, and the melody, but what do you guys think? Also, I don't know if this song should become a loop or if I should make it into a finished track for something else..

I like it, very VVVVVV like vibe. What did you use to make it?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic