Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 02:06:01 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioFeedback Thread...! (READ OP BEFORE POSTING!)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
Print
Author Topic: Feedback Thread...! (READ OP BEFORE POSTING!)  (Read 80851 times)
ArnoldSavary
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 05, 2016, 05:38:03 AM »

Hey everyone, sorry I haven't been posting much recently, been pretty busy with uni and I haven't been able to finish a track in ages. On that subject...

https://soundcloud.com/asavary/electronic-wips-marchapril

It's a compilation of some of my most recent works in progress in electronic music. It's pretty long so you don't have to listen to all of it but comments on the production and on which tracks you prefer would be welcome.
I also have plenty of piano, jazz and orchestral music in the works but I guess I'll post that later...

Here's a battle theme for an RPG or something. I'm trying to explore using more real instruments but keeping a pinch of retro in there. I also tried to make use of panning for pretty much the first time ever so tell me how I did!

https://soundcloud.com/mikesalois/worthy-adversary
I like when all the instruments come together, the production is solid and you've got the spectrum covered. Defiitely got that rpg battle sound going on. The part at 0:23 is pretty damn catchy too. I think you could have continued with that riff without adding the mid-range piano melody from the start - maybe with a different drum beat, then go back to that part.
I've got to say I'm not a fan of that use of the piano at the start though - it sounds robotic so might as well use a synthetic sound in my opinion. It's okay when it's used among other instruments though.
And yes the panning was good as far as I can tell.

Mokai
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 12, 2016, 10:15:01 AM »

@fracture

Here's a battle theme for an RPG or something. I'm trying to explore using more real instruments but keeping a pinch of retro in there. I also tried to make use of panning for pretty much the first time ever so tell me how I did!

https://soundcloud.com/mikesalois/worthy-adversary

Thanks!

I don't have any constructive feedback because I am still a novice in music, all I can say that this sounds amazing, I love it!
MikeSal
Level 0

Yo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: June 02, 2016, 06:50:41 PM »

Great! I thought this thread died or something but here it is stickied! Thanks for the feedback everyone!

@ArnoldSavary
So I'm not gonna have too much criticism here because this is all above my level. This is all fantastic and If you had the time I'd say finish all of em but if I had to pick I'd say finish:

1:12 - This is awesome really cool mix of electronic and classical. Gave me a really nice Castle Crashers vibe.

2:45 - Very cool. Love the instruments and the progression. I especially love the part when the more electronic middle section transitions to the semi trippy end around 4:00. Again amazing work!

4:16 - Probably my favorite. Love when the lead trickles back down the scale. I guess that is the best way I can put it. Very catchy and upbeat. Happy yet still a little intense.

Great work keep it up!

I guess while I'm here again I'll drop these off:
https://soundcloud.com/mikesalois/nearing-the-core
This one is supposed to sound pretty rough. I'm trying a new style mainly with the drums. I was inspired by Dino Run if anyone remembers that game.

https://soundcloud.com/mikesalois/bioluminescence
This one here is a completely different style. Kinda ambient but kinda not.

https://soundcloud.com/mikesalois/electric-jungle
This one is similar sounding to bioluminescence in instrument use but its a lot more upbeat. Its inspired by Donkey Kong Country and if you know that games music well you'll hear a little nod to it.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 08:13:54 AM by MikeSal » Logged
Chaotrope
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: August 10, 2016, 12:36:56 AM »

I'm creating the soundtrack for a music-focused RPG that's currently in development, Tuneria.

I'd like some feedback on the newest track I've made for the game, the Songsmith Theme. The piece is basically the main theme for the good guys of the game, and plays when the player is in their headquarters. I'm just looking for general feedback really, although I've struggled with mixing in the past.

Here's a link to the song: https://soundcloud.com/chaotrope/tuneria-songsmith-theme

Composer of music for a number of video games, including Deadpour: Tactics and Tuneria, a music-centered RPG. Author of Chaotrope songs on RockBand Network.

Stay up to date with my new music at https://soundcloud.com/chaotrope
Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: August 21, 2016, 03:22:10 PM »

I'm creating the soundtrack for a music-focused RPG that's currently in development, Tuneria.

I'd like some feedback on the newest track I've made for the game, the Songsmith Theme. The piece is basically the main theme for the good guys of the game, and plays when the player is in their headquarters. I'm just looking for general feedback really, although I've struggled with mixing in the past.

Here's a link to the song: https://soundcloud.com/chaotrope/tuneria-songsmith-theme

Hey man! Giving is better than recieving. Wink

Read over the OP, but you are supposed to offer feedback to a previous user before you ask for it. Make sure to amend your post.

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: September 10, 2016, 11:50:51 AM »

With regards to my responses below to MikeSal's pieces, let me note that music is perhaps not my forte, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt.

https://soundcloud.com/mikesalois/nearing-the-core
This one is supposed to sound pretty rough. I'm trying a new style mainly with the drums. I was inspired by Dino Run if anyone remembers that game.
Hah, I remember Dino Run, I believe! That was a Flash game that had the player take on the role of a small theropod dinosaur, running from the blast wave of a meteorite impact, collecting eggs along the way, was it not? ^_^

As to the piece that you posted, I liked it overall. The tone and style does seem to me like a good fit for a game in the vein of Dino Run!

I did find the "base rhythm", I suppose that you might say--the tune on which the details are overlaid--a little repetitive. Perhaps bit more rise-and-fall in its rhythm might make it a little less so.

https://soundcloud.com/mikesalois/bioluminescence
This one here is a completely different style. Kinda ambient but kinda not.

This is rather pretty, and rather pleasant to listen to! ^_^

I like the little "liquid drop" sounds that drip in every so often.

Overall it reminds me a little of Aquaria--although that connection may be somewhat suggested by the title. I think that it could fit quite nicely into one of the more exploratory segments of a game like that.

https://soundcloud.com/mikesalois/electric-jungle
This one is similar sounding to bioluminescence in instrument use but its a lot more upbeat. Its inspired by Donkey Kong Country and if you know that games music well you'll hear a little nod to it.

Hmm... Little comes to mind regarding this one, other than that I like it. It's not quite an action beat, but it's not relaxed, either; perhaps it more conveys an urge to push forward, to my ear at least.

(It may be that it's just less my "style" than is Bioluminescence, above.)

~

I'd like to ask for feedback on a sound effect, if I may. I'm not sure that this thread is the right place to do so--it appears to focus on music, not effects--but I don't see a dedicated thread for sound effects, and the first post doesn't appear to indicate that this one is intended to be specific to music.

The effect in question is a set of "chimes". It's used to indicate that "something good" has happened: the player has found a piece of lore, or acquired a collectible, for two examples. I'm considering using it when a minigame-puzzle is completed (I want something for that duty), but I'm not sure that it's wise in those cases in which doing so grants lore, thus resulting in the sound being played twice.

The setting is heroic-fantasy: think magic, mystery, exploration, danger, and adventure.

As to the feedback that I'm looking for:
  • What sort of feeling does it convey to you?
  • In general, what is your opinion of its quality?
  • And, well, any further critique or suggestions that you might have regarding it.

The sound can be heard near the start of the video below, and, with a bit more context, shortly after about 1:55, I believe.

thersus
Level 0

Sometimes I'm grumpy, sometimes I'm not.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: November 01, 2016, 07:48:08 PM »

Hey everyone, sorry I haven't been posting much recently, been pretty busy with uni and I haven't been able to finish a track in ages. On that subject...

https://soundcloud.com/asavary/electronic-wips-marchapril

It's a compilation of some of my most recent works in progress in electronic music. It's pretty long so you don't have to listen to all of it but comments on the production and on which tracks you prefer would be welcome.
I also have plenty of piano, jazz and orchestral music in the works but I guess I'll post that later...
Wow, that's just awesome! I like your basses and the jazzy/"venetian snares" feel in some of the tracks. I can't find anything useful to say as a critique, because to me it sounds like everything is in its right place.

I'd like to ask for feedback on a sound effect, if I may. I'm not sure that this thread is the right place to do so--it appears to focus on music, not effects--but I don't see a dedicated thread for sound effects, and the first post doesn't appear to indicate that this one is intended to be specific to music.

The effect in question is a set of "chimes". It's used to indicate that "something good" has happened: the player has found a piece of lore, or acquired a collectible, for two examples. I'm considering using it when a minigame-puzzle is completed (I want something for that duty), but I'm not sure that it's wise in those cases in which doing so grants lore, thus resulting in the sound being played twice.

The setting is heroic-fantasy: think magic, mystery, exploration, danger, and adventure.

As to the feedback that I'm looking for:
  • What sort of feeling does it convey to you?
  • In general, what is your opinion of its quality?
  • And, well, any further critique or suggestions that you might have regarding it.

The sound can be heard near the start of the video below, and, with a bit more context, shortly after about 1:55, I believe.

About your SFX (and take everything with a grain of salt, as I am not a real sound designer): to me, it sounded like a warning, a notification. Like when you receive a toast with info about something in your cellphone, or something like that. It does tell me that something happened, it doesn't look like it was something bad, but it doesn't look like it was something special either. I think that if you want it to really catch the attention of the player, as if to tell "hey player, you did something really great now!", maybe you need to add some kind of emphasis to the sound.
Well, how? First of all, maybe make it a little longer, more like a fanfare (add more notes, don't just stretch it to take more time). Also, you may try to make it sound more "brighter", adding more high frequencies with an EQ or using filters - now it is sounding a little bit dark, and I think it could easily blend and disappear into music and ambience, as you start adding those elements into the game. But it is not too far from being what it needs to be, I think.
Hope it helps!

~~~~~

Now, for the feedback I need, here it is:
I am making a song for the undergrad project of a friend of mine. It is a 2D platformer with puzzles that aim to teach programming logic for kinds. It has an adventure feel, with a character that is reminiscent of the main Spelunky hero, and the stages (for now) all happen in a forest environment, so I'm working with that mindset.
So, I need critique on the general feel of the song:
-Do you feel it fits an adventure theme?
-Does it sound "foresty"?
-I added a little interlude with some dissonance to change the flow a little, but also to make it feel as something mysterious lies ahead, but do you people feel this as well?
-Are the instruments and the textures sounding good, or is it too amateurish?
You can give feedback on general mixing and mastering, but bear in mind that this is still a work in progress.
For now, I have only this dropbox link, and nevermind how it starts and ends, its supposed to loop around... Also, turn up your volume a bit! https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21349413/arnold_ideia1.3.mp3

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: November 04, 2016, 12:06:30 PM »

Ah, I'd forgotten about this thread, I believe! (I'm glad that I had a notification set.)

Thank you very much for the feedback! ^_^

I think that if you want it to really catch the attention of the player, as if to tell "hey player, you did something really great now!", maybe you need to add some kind of emphasis to the sound.

Hmm... I'm not sure that I want to go as far as "really great", and I'm hesitant to make it much longer: I'm worried that a longer, more intense sound might become grating through repetition.

Well, how? First of all, maybe make it a little longer, more like a fanfare (add more notes, don't just stretch it to take more time). Also, you may try to make it sound more "brighter", adding more high frequencies with an EQ or using filters - now it is sounding a little bit dark, and I think it could easily blend and disappear into music and ambience, as you start adding those elements into the game. But it is not too far from being what it needs to be, I think.
Hope it helps!

I do want to stay away from an "epic fantasy" feel (which is what I have in mind when you say "fanfare"--although I do realise that this may not be what you intended to convey); this is "heroic fantasy", and has a smaller, more personal scale.

I'm not sure of how much in-game music I'll have, or how heavy the ambient sounds will become, but I do take your point about it being lost in those. Right now I don't think that this is a major issue, but it may well be in future...

I might play around with pitching the sound up, or perhaps adding a few lighter notes on top of those already present. I'll confess that I'm uncertain here--I want to retain a sense of... mystery, perhaps, or magic--a feeling that I associate with the setting and story--that I fear might be lost in making it too "bright", too "open".

elliotr
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 21, 2017, 10:54:58 AM »

My piece is being created for a small indie game I'm working on (as I imagine most people's are). My intent was to build suspense for a first boss fight, so it should feel intense and build the suspense of the fight, but not in the same way that a final boss would. the first 8 measures I intended to be exposition /  dialogue that happens immediately before the fight.

I would be looking for mostly feedback on if you think the melody holds immediately after the rise until the end of the loop, and if you felt the layering of instruments was able to build suspense in the piece as a whole (given the context of the player already being in a suspenseful, intense position).

https://soundcloud.com/user-727861526/adventure-theme

**this is not the whole piece (as I am not finished) but the part I felt needed to be critiqued most importantly
VinG
Level 0

Somehow Here

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 14, 2017, 07:01:58 AM »

I would be looking for mostly feedback on if you think the melody holds immediately after the rise until the end of the loop, and if you felt the layering of instruments was able to build suspense in the piece as a whole (given the context of the player already being in a suspenseful, intense position).

https://soundcloud.com/user-727861526/adventure-theme

Really nice track! i really like the piano, however
is it your intetion to make it sound more menacing?
if it is the former i would sugest, in my opinion, to make the looping piano notes a little bit lower or make them scale down then loop back up to amke ot sound more intense.

Im also searching feedback for my games soundtrack, it is a 2d platformer,, my intention was to make the pieces fit the theme of the worlds while using the same instruments to keep it consistent (Same Piano, Strings, Bass, some Drums, some only have 1 or 2 additional instruments), level pieces are calm, boss themes will be intense remixes of those level pieces.
I want to know your overall opinion about the soundtrack as it is right now.
https://soundcloud.com/ving-9/sets/qs-quest
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 07:16:39 AM by VinG » Logged

Jed_Crouch
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: June 12, 2017, 10:47:01 AM »

Hi guys!

I am working on a tactics based First-Person shooter (a S.W.A.T game), where you must extract hostages and eliminate enemy personnel.

I would love some feedback on the piece; it takes inspiration mainly from the Modern Warfare series, and focused heavily on rhythm using noise gates. This is meant to be the title theme/demo reel theme... The first piece of the game basically.

https://soundcloud.com/jed-crouch/swat-demo-theme

Cheers everyone. Much love x

Jed

https://soundcloud.com/jed-crouch

Send me your music portfolio for critique! Smiley
robfoden
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 25, 2017, 05:32:22 AM »

I would love some feedback on the piece; it takes inspiration mainly from the Modern Warfare series, and focused heavily on rhythm using noise gates. This is meant to be the title theme/demo reel theme... The first piece of the game basically.

Very nice production technique used in this Jed! Fits the genre perfectly!
My only tiny piece of criticism is maybe to take out some of the sub bass, but thats all!

Now for some feedback from you guys!
As a beginner to the gaming industry I thought it would be wise to start creating music without a brief. When ever writing music I find myself gravitating towards fast based action music which I think would fit nicely into trailers.

Any feedback from you guys regarding writing style, orchestration, mixing or sound design is encouraged!  Smiley

Cheers!

Rob
Jed_Crouch
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: June 25, 2017, 10:03:38 AM »

Hey Rob, cheers for the kind words! I really appreciate it Smiley

Here are a couple things that stood out for me when listening to your work (which is great by the way!)

1: There is some exceptionally low rumble in parts, have you cut out everything sub 20/30Hz in your mix?

2: Some of your instruments very occasionally don't sound as if they are part of the same environment; different reverbs? I find this is particularly important for cinematic music. Also, consider the distance of the instrument from the listener and adjust high-cut and reverb dry/wet accordingly.

Overall the work is stunning. No need to comment on anything harmony related, the structure is satisfying and overall the production is spot on! I don't think you'll have any trouble getting work whatsoever.

Best of luck,

Jed

https://soundcloud.com/jed-crouch

Send me your music portfolio for critique! Smiley
youry.kiki
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: July 04, 2017, 01:24:04 PM »

Hello,

https://soundcloud.com/jed-crouch/swat-demo-theme

Jed

I'm a beginer at making music and I'm still learning a lot ! But I like your piece, I think it fits very well to an action game with guns ! It give some pressure before begining the gunfight !

Any feedback from you guys regarding writing style, orchestration, mixing or sound design is encouraged!  Smiley

Cheers!

Rob

Those two musics are great, I think it fits well medfan epic trailer ! The second sounds like the start of a trip.
I don't know what more to say, this already sound great for my beginer ears !

After this two feedbacks, I hesitate a lot before posting my track ! But I am ready to learn Smiley 

I tried to make a music for a cyberpunk puzzle game that must be resolved under the pression of a timer... The structure is 4 loops of about 45 seconds, the two firsts are "slow" and the two lasts are the fast ones. In the game I use a short transition when the timer is too low. On soundcloud, I append the 4 parts. It is my 4th track, I began to make music about 6 month ago, I use Sunvox. I'm ready to ear any feedback on music style, any awkwardness Smiley

So here it is :

https://soundcloud.com/youry-kiki/electric-mind-pulse-puzzlelock-1

Thanks for listening !

The Magic Circle
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 27, 2017, 01:00:06 PM »

Those two musics are great, I think it fits well medfan epic trailer ! The second sounds like the start of a trip.
I don't know what more to say, this already sound great for my beginer ears !

After this two feedbacks, I hesitate a lot before posting my track ! But I am ready to learn Smiley 

I tried to make a music for a cyberpunk puzzle game that must be resolved under the pression of a timer... The structure is 4 loops of about 45 seconds, the two firsts are "slow" and the two lasts are the fast ones. In the game I use a short transition when the timer is too low. On soundcloud, I append the 4 parts. It is my 4th track, I began to make music about 6 month ago, I use Sunvox. I'm ready to ear any feedback on music style, any awkwardness Smiley

So here it is :

https://soundcloud.com/youry-kiki/electric-mind-pulse-puzzlelock-1

Thanks for listening !
[/quote]

Your music is very cool. It reminds me a lot of Oneohtrix Point Never but significantly more upbeat. If you haven't heard of him, you should check him out for some inspiration. He makes really...interesting...ambient electronic stuff. Check out "Chrome Country" and "Zebra" first, those are two of his best tracks in my opinion (and might give you some ideas going forward).

This song (Annular Fusion) is pretty old, but it was my first attempt at really trying to mix a track, and it's a personal favourite, so I wanted to get some feedback on it. It's for a really intense fight in an "insane asylum" (prison for political dissidents) near the end of the game against a guy whose power is to "annulate" things, which basically means that he heals things to the point that they start horribly mutating (he also did this to himself to turn into a huge monster).

The phrasing etc is deliberately very weird. I was trying to meld some tracks by 20th century classical composers together with a prog rock band called Magma, so that's why everything sounds like it's meandering a bit. Since this is an old recording, I'm going to go back and give it a definitive ending (think the tracks in Risk of Rain) instead of making it loop normally.

iamoneabe
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: October 22, 2017, 01:28:44 AM »

Electric Mind Pulse - Puzzle Lock:
I think the music until around 1:23 could do without drum or at least less of it (just hats, maybe) overall very nice sounds and great melodies. Especially enjoyed everything after 1:23 mark. Great job!

Here is my first attempt at cinematic composing:

https://soundcloud.com/iamoneabe/give-me-strength

phantaminum
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 28, 2018, 05:01:22 PM »

(Am I allowed to try and revive this thread?)

McAroney:

Your drums have a great punch and really capture that explosive, adventure-driven mood quite well! Also, the initial build-up is great; I like the idea of stacking the strings on top of each other to really add to a building tension. I feel ready to draw my sword and slay some monsters!

I do think the horn samples/synths could have more release on them. They sound good, but when they stop playing it just kinda drops and makes it seem like they don't really vibe well with the rest of the instruments. I like the idea of adding a drum machine into an analog-styled setting, however I'm not sure if it ever finds a place within the piece.

Here is my piece: https://soundcloud.com/phantaminum_official/the-grand-grimoire-to-the-skies-with-drums
Love to hear your thoughts!

RedNote
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: December 20, 2019, 11:47:59 AM »

(Am I allowed to try and revive this thread?)

I do think the horn samples/synths could have more release on them. They sound good, but when they stop playing it just kinda drops and makes it seem like they don't really vibe well with the rest of the instruments. I like the idea of adding a drum machine into an analog-styled setting, however I'm not sure if it ever finds a place within the piece.

Here is my piece: https://soundcloud.com/phantaminum_official/the-grand-grimoire-to-the-skies-with-drums
Love to hear your thoughts!

I like your work, good atmosphere. You make good use of 7th chords, its a pleasure to hear that.
The drums are in my taste a bit too much alike the ones in the Boléro of Ravel, and at 1:28 it really sound like the Boléro  Tongue
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 02:08:43 AM by RedNote » Logged

Piano at high risk !
AntRayAudio
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: January 03, 2020, 03:31:01 PM »

I definitely enjoyed the progression, I am picturing this fitting nicely as the crew takes off in an old-timey zeppelin  Gentleman It's also nice how you gave the cloudy texture to the theme at the start and end. Sorry I don't have any negative feedback or improvement suggestions, unfortunately you did a great job already  Grin I think the drums fit really well, at most they could sit a bit farther back in the mix to keep things light.

I'm still putting together reels (music+sound design). I used the LIMBO trailer to do both. I know typically they say not to mix the two, but I feel that the elements are far enough between to justify throwing both together. I even added a little PIP action to make it more interesting. But I'm wondering, does this take away from my credibility by "lifting the curtain"?

See below, any feedback will of course be highly appreciated!!

Follow me on Twitter, YouTube or Soundcloud!
Sku
Level 0

Music Producer/Composer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: November 13, 2023, 10:45:55 AM »

I definitely enjoyed the progression, I am picturing this fitting nicely as the crew takes off in an old-timey zeppelin  Gentleman It's also nice how you gave the cloudy texture to the theme at the start and end. Sorry I don't have any negative feedback or improvement suggestions, unfortunately you did a great job already  Grin I think the drums fit really well, at most they could sit a bit farther back in the mix to keep things light.

I'm still putting together reels (music+sound design). I used the LIMBO trailer to do both. I know typically they say not to mix the two, but I feel that the elements are far enough between to justify throwing both together. I even added a little PIP action to make it more interesting. But I'm wondering, does this take away from my credibility by "lifting the curtain"?

See below, any feedback will of course be highly appreciated!!

Wow, surprised to see no one has posted in this thread for so long. Just watched the video of the Limbo reimagined sound design and soundtrack from the previous message – truly commendable work. The creativity and attention to detail are inspiring.

Over the past year, I embarked on a personal RPG project to refine my composition skills and gain a better understanding of crafting soundtracks for such games. However, as I delved deeper, I realized the immense complexity and effort involved in creating a comprehensive RPG. Consequently, I made the decision to abandon the project. Here are a few tracks I composed during this period, showcasing my work for 'Soul Mannequin.
Here's a boss battle type track:
https://soundcloud.com/skunkk-843283512/important-battle?in=skunkk-843283512/sets/soulmannequin-ost

Tell me if you can imagine this kind of soundtrack on an Shin Megami Tensei type vibe game lol
Loudness levels are all over the place, I didn't worry about that because of master fader on RPG Maker Smiley

V000id
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic