Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 07:27:09 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioFeedback Thread...! (READ OP BEFORE POSTING!)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: Feedback Thread...! (READ OP BEFORE POSTING!)  (Read 79796 times)
bbtombo
Level 1

lvl 2 spellcaster

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2014, 03:25:20 PM »

Hey friends, I'll be sure to listen to some of the above tracks soon, but I just made this jazz piece, I imagine it to be for the intro of a film noir game. Let me know what you think! It's Piano, upright, drums, and trumpet. Do they blend well? Thanks!

And Thus, Our Day Dies - Soundcloud

Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2014, 07:04:57 AM »

Hey friends, I'll be sure to listen to some of the above tracks soon, but I just made this jazz piece, I imagine it to be for the intro of a film noir game. Let me know what you think! It's Piano, upright, drums, and trumpet. Do they blend well? Thanks!

And Thus, Our Day Dies - Soundcloud

Before you can post a track, you must give feedback first! (Read the OP)

You can always submit a piece after you have finished reviewing someone else's.

No hard feelings, I just want to keep this from becoming a dumping ground.

---

@Arnold:

I took a listen and I agree with Aamp: All of your tunes are great! I'm surprised you said they wouldn't fit in a game...

Dude, many of these tracks you created would fit PERFECTLY in some type of future, dark, gritty, cyber punk setting (though the last tune in the mix is a stretch, haha).

Many of them took me by surprise - I was expecting it to be an assortment of generic "electronic" themes, but they all had personality and character! It got to the point where I wanted to listen to the next one just to see what you came up with!

Now, as far as what to do ---

1. You could sell them as stock, most definitely. Round them out so they loop perfectly and you'd do fine. Not exactly sure how well you (or anyone for that matter), would fair in the stock side of things, but it's an option.

2. Most of the tunes that I create for practice that I believe are salvageable are given for free. Now, there's no point in avoiding making money off something if you can, but, it tends to widen your pool of listeners.

^Highly doubt you'll choose it, but just throwing it out there!

3. Perhaps make a game music soundtrack and sell it as a "pay what you want" item?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 07:33:06 AM by M4uesviecr » Logged

ArnoldSavary
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2014, 04:34:25 PM »

Aamp, Pete and M4uesviecr, thanks a lot for your feedback and compliments.

I like to use a compressor on the focus track being fed by the kick, this gives it a nice pump as long as you get the decay time good.
I'll keep that in mind. I had already put a sidechain on the drums but maybe it was too discrete.
I already know about Chipsounds actually but I found it a little too expensive for my use of 8-bit sounds - I use the Massive pack Videogame Mania instead, which sounds great but is indeed lacking of any serious percussive sounds.

I only found that Rhodes piano a little out of place
Haha, I can see why you'd feel that way but it was actually the starting point of the whole track so I didn't feel like changing the sound, even though it sounds "smaller" and less refined than the other sounds.

I'm surprised you said they wouldn't fit in a game...
Yeah, you're right, I probably scratched that too soon. I just thought it was too beat-driven and too overbearing to work as a soundtrack but now that I think about it many games work well with this kind of music, mostly arcade-based games. The Tekken 3 soundtrack that I posted in another thread was very beat-driven for example and it's still one of my favorites. Which makes me think, damn, I really want to score a fighting game.

Most of the tunes that I create for practice that I believe are salvageable are given for free. Now, there's no point in avoiding making money off something if you can, but, it tends to widen your pool of listeners.
What I'm going to say is entirely personal (and not directed at you at all!) but I think this approach is a bit messy. The issue would not be that I'm not getting any money, it's that I prefer to only have albums and EPs available for download, not individual songs. There are several reasons behind that:
- forcing yourself to release albums instead of individual songs will make you refine your sound more, work on coherence and generally make your standards higher in terms of what you consider to be good enough for a release
- exerting a strict control over what you release is, I think, a good way to fight the oversaturation of the music market.
- I don't want to disorient the people who like my music too much. If it's an ost, it's expected that it will be all over the place stylistically, but for individual track releases they might lose their interest and basically think I'm spamming them.

Unless you simply meant uploading them to soundcloud (in which case I'm sorry for the rambling) which I already do, mostly for critique and showing people what I'm making. But I don't feel the same way towards streaming music and putting it up for download. It's probably a little ridiculous, but if I make a song downloadable, to me it becomes part of my "discography" in a way, so I want to be super sure it's good enough.

So yeah, I think I'm going to keep them on the back burner, wait for opportunities.
(Additionally I should totally make a site like yours. It looks great and your way of organizing your Music Portfolio is a good way to showcase many genres but not look cluttered.)

Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2014, 12:29:37 PM »

- forcing yourself to release albums instead of individual songs will make you refine your sound more, work on coherence and generally make your standards higher in terms of what you consider to be good enough for a release
- exerting a strict control over what you release is, I think, a good way to fight the oversaturation of the music market.
- I don't want to disorient the people who like my music too much. If it's an ost, it's expected that it will be all over the place stylistically, but for individual track releases they might lose their interest and basically think I'm spamming them.

You bring up some very great points! Our mentalities are different in this aspect, but your reasons for taking the route you have agreed upon are things I had not though about.

When it comes to being refined, since most of my tracks are free, unfinished exercises, the quality fluctuates. Most of them I'm not even looking for feedback on, it's simple to create something. I believe that, at times, if I create something, I don't want it to go to waste, though I HAVE tried taking it upon myself to check and make sure the piece posted corresponseds with your first bullet -

I AM talking about posting these tracks on soundcloud but I still believe your approach warrants more merit, haha.

But in my case, all they have to do is go to soundcloud and screw around. If I wanted to focus more time on creating something viable, I'd definitely opt for the EP/Album option.

(Additionally I should totally make a site like yours. It looks great and your way of organizing your Music Portfolio is a good way to showcase many genres but not look cluttered.)

Awe, thank you! I appreciate it!

medieval
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2014, 01:03:48 PM »

And now for something completely different.
https://soundcloud.com/asavary/electro-wips-october-2014/s-J8k7L
-Bit'n'Bass has potential, both the metal-like first part and the dnb part have a really catchy melody. This would probably get radio plays if it were more tame. (but don't be tame)
-Epic Electro should be part of a game soundtrack. Something cyberpunk, but the song itself already sparks my imagination of what that world might be
-I like the stonermetal vibe in Drum'n'Rock. The synths are already really solid, but I think you can take the drum rhythms a bit further. Right now it feels like placeholder drums
-Abrasive Techno sounds like the dark counterpart of Epic Electro, and I think it would fit well in the same soundtrack as a much darker, grittier side of that beautiful world in Epic Electro
-Rusty Trip-Hop is smooth and relaxing, i like the arpeggios and percussion especially. I wouldn't know what you could use it for.

Props on the mixing! you've got a very full sound

What do you guys think of this?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wdt6mm5x4wyq27h/contradiction.mp3?dl=0

It's a raw recording with mistakes etc. but I want feedback on the composition; could I have made better choices, does the music capture you etc
ArnoldSavary
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2014, 03:30:15 PM »

Thanks for the feedback narasu.

I really liked Contradiction. It did capture me (and made me want to compose some more neofolk to go with https://soundcloud.com/asavary/spires that people seem to like) and I liked the changes of moods like at 2:20. I don't really have much criticism to give. Maybe one little thing I would have done differently: for your second chord you start playing a wider arpeggio and then switch back to smaller ones, so I was left wanting a resolution to the higher note. It's probably not very clear so here's what I mean : http://vocaroo.com/i/s0bxGPaFg4xT . But it's not a problem at all, it's just more in keeping with what I'm used to hearing.

Do you plan to add other instruments / vocals to it? I think it would help us understand the structure better, particularly for the first minute.
Like I said I think this could work either as neofolk (like

) or as dark folk (like

).

medieval
« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2014, 12:22:43 PM »

Thank you Arnold. I like what you did with it! It had occured to me that the first part was missing something, but I only realized what that was until I heard your sample. I'm gonna meddle with that idea now. Also, maybe a solo cello.
ArnoldSavary
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2014, 12:32:06 PM »

I made a tango
https://soundcloud.com/asavary/sergei-no-tango
and a Noise track
https://soundcloud.com/asavary/the-stain-will-never-wash-out

If some of you are into either kind of music, I'd love some feedback.
(There's nothing new to review so I hope that makes it okay to post my stuff. Undecided)

Edit : By the way, this was done for nothing other than my continued ambition to conquer all the genres.

Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2014, 06:15:43 PM »

Oooh! I looovvee tango. Had to check out this piece! I think it's great! The guitar improvisation was great too. My only complaint would be the guitar timbre -- It had a biting texture and I was expecting something warm, to kind of fit with the piano.

Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2014, 04:14:49 AM »

Hello, all! Gotta piece I'd like to have looked at (especially by those who are accustomed to recording with real instruments)

It is being created for a forest that happens to have hostile (but unalarmingly so) creatures dwelling there. Kind of like a bunch of angry chihuahuas. It isn't supposed to be comical, by any means, but the overall feel of the piece should be... easy going.

I am looking for feedback on the tin whistle recording. I actually edited the whistle out for the final version because, to my ears, the tin whistle sounds far away, and I want a closer, more intimate sound. Comments on anything else is also appreciated!

https://soundcloud.com/jasminecoopermusic/dat-whistle/s-IF9CW

ArnoldSavary
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2014, 01:27:27 PM »

I really liked it! The intro was particularly pretty. I didn't feel the slightest hint of hostility from it however but from what you described I guess it's okay.

I actually edited the whistle out for the final version because, to my ears, the tin whistle sounds far away, and I want a closer, more intimate sound.
I actually feel the opposite. I think the piece as a whole sounds a little distant, but in a good way - it definitely sounds like we're in a forest, not a room. So I would personally put the tin whistle further away, lowering the volume and maybe adding a short-tailed natural reverb (like you did at the beginning) and some slight panning changes, to make it feel like the whistle player is prancing around in the forest, somewhere in the distance, and improvising his own phrases rather than playing in unison with the guitars.

Also, there are times where the whistle is out of tune, so you might want to fix that.
And I'd probably add some more compression on the master or on the guitars.

medieval
« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2014, 02:51:56 PM »

I'll just copy this from soundcloud:

Sounds really nice, the chord arrangement is solid and I love the flute melody. Only thing that bothers me is that the flute's pitch is slightly higher than that of the guitar, making it sound unusually sharp. To an average listener's ears, this will sound like it's out of tune, which is a shame when you have such a great melody going.

Other than that, great work. I like how the track switches between contrasting segments yet all of them flow so smoothly into one another.  You create this atmosphere that makes the environment so vivid you can almost see it. You should definitely build on this skill, and keep it with you as you expand your style.
Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2014, 10:22:15 AM »

@Arnold
Great stuff! The "box" statement was an eye opener - It would make sense for the music to feel open and unencumbered, due to the setting. I'll keep that in mind (along with panning and reverb). I have been struggling with the guitar as well, so I will work on the compression bit.

@Narasu
The flute - I noticed it was out of pitch too, and I figured it was unbearably so. I'll probably have to buy another tin whistle. I researched, and tin whistles being out of tune is a common thing. With fast passages, it's not as noticeable. Too bad I have a lot of sustains... Also, I greatly appreciate the comment. Wink I'll make sure to expand on that (and all my other skills) as best I can!

Thanks a ton fellas! You were both a huge help!

Pete301
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2014, 01:21:14 PM »

Dat Whistle:

I think it sounds great :D. It's definitely noticeable that the whistle is out, but it isn't drastically enough to take it completely away from the feel of the track. I think if you wanted to keep it intimate and close that you should possibly try and get it more pitch perfect.

If you are going to take on board Arnold's idea of sending the whistle further back and panning, then the original recording would work and the intonation would give an advantage by displaying character in the context of 'monsters/hostile creatures playing instruments'.
medieval
« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2014, 10:56:00 PM »

@Narasu
The flute - I noticed it was out of pitch too, and I figured it was unbearably so. I'll probably have to buy another tin whistle. I researched, and tin whistles being out of tune is a common thing. With fast passages, it's not as noticeable. Too bad I have a lot of sustains... Also, I greatly appreciate the comment. Wink I'll make sure to expand on that (and all my other skills) as best I can!
Great thing about the 21st century: we can cheat now! If you should really feel the need to, you can always just pitch it down digitally.
bbtombo
Level 1

lvl 2 spellcaster

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2015, 11:15:37 PM »

@M4uesviecr, Tin whistles are fun, but I think your piece deserves an actual flute for the musicality that it's adding to the piece.

a while ago, and it instantly made me want to use flute. The guitar is also doing a lot of great stuff, and I think the tin whistle kind of muddies up what's going on. Have you considered any simple pitched/non-pitched percussion, like wood block or marimba? I think it could keep it simple, but give it another layer. Other than that, it's super nice.

I wanted to ask about this piece I wrote today! I thought of it as a title theme, but it has no home yet besides my soundcloud. I'm looking for mixing/form issues that you might have with it. Does it sound good in headphones to you? On nice speakers? What do you think of the textures + composition overall?

Snowy Wheatstacks - Soundcloud

Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2015, 10:19:51 AM »

@Neap -- You make a good observation. Alas, it's a little too late now, haha, but next time, I'll try not to exhaust my options. In truth, I was the only player available at the time, and even though I liked the idea of the flute, I wanted something a bit more rustic.  Though, I realized that the flute also added a nice touch. As of now, if I had a viable flute player (asked a few, none came around), I probably would have opted for it.

NOW!

Snowy Wheatstacks

I really like the space you make with the intro synths. The fading of the low synth (minus the noticeable break at 00:40) is a nice touch of bass. I think, atmospherically, you have done a great job.

To add something, for the intro, with the melody, perhaps you could space it out? Kind of give the listener time to relish in the small bleeps and bloops of the atmosphere you have created.

Personally, with all of the soft, round sounds you have going, the biting synth you brought in (1:24) kind  of mused the feel for me. <-- Personal taste, though. Others may not agree. Also, you may prefer the change in contrast.

I like this, though! Great stuff.

Pete301
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2015, 12:17:13 PM »

Hey Neaptide,

That's a totally cool and relaxing track. I like the whole feel of it. The few niggles I have are similar to the previous post...

Let's talk all about that bass Wink. I really like the breathing it has, however I don't think it should cut out completely when it is nearing the end of it's cycle (0:21 and 0:40), it kinda breaks the flow slightly.

Secondly at the 1:24 part where the new synth comes in I think you place the part that used to be the bass quite high, this is fine and sounds good, but you then have a bit of a gap in the low end and as this section is the climax it seems like it needs that bass filling out, repeating the bass an octave lower might be enough to fill it.

Enough of the bass. That synth that comes in at 1:24 does seem a bit harsh on the ears for such a relaxing track, though that may be what you're looking for (in which case it's ok). However I enjoy the melody it has, just maybe adjust the synth to be less harsh on the ears.

I have this track that is work in progress.

YARRRRR

Pirates be here. The track is for a game and is meant to be looped. I have some understanding of what is wrong with it, but I would like to know if this is just because I have listened to it too much and if other people will pick up on the same things.

The main thing I feel that is lacking is connection between parts/the flow.
bbtombo
Level 1

lvl 2 spellcaster

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2015, 12:51:13 AM »

hah! I immediately got a banjo-kazooie vibe! I honestly really like it - it's got a clear A section and a B section, and with the loop it works pretty well. I think in this case it works, but normally I would say if we have to hear it repeatedly, the loop should be a bit longer! I don't know though. I might download it and loop it in audacity for a bit to test that. It sounds great though! I love the woodblocks + guitar! Lots of layers, but it doesn't feel too busy. A third section might be worth experimenting with, but I don't know! I don't think it feels too separated either. it's very piratey and jarring (in a good way)!

Barendhoff
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2015, 01:06:25 PM »

@Neap - soothing and tranquil, this is a track I'd definitely like as a title screen theme. An ambient track that captures a cold misty morning in a warm fashion. Lovely! The high bells are adorable.

I agree with the others. The melody synth (1:24+) seems a little too harsh on the ears for comfort. If you're not comfortable with a smoother synth sound, perhaps try using an accordion; I kind of get the feeling of slightly melancholic French chansons when listening to the melody, so the instrument feels appropriate. But maybe that's just a silly thought. In any case, the melody itself is quite fine.

But enough about the melody synth! I found that the bells playing the chords sound significantly harder as they get lower in pitch. It sounds like it might be related to cutoff. High notes are sometimes barely audible in comparison to the lower ones. Perhaps that's your intention, to give room to the ambient bells ringing in the high ranges, but it's something you may want to look at: keeping a constant sound on the instrument. Of course, monotony is no good, but there's a fine middle road to walk. ...On a second thought, the changes in intensity could give an aural representation of seeing snow falling down.

As a slightly ambient track, perhaps consider playing the repeating chords slightly slower, or to give some rest between each repetition. It feels a little rushed sometimes, although it's just fine at around 0:45-0:52. :D

Finally, the higher frequencies of the bass drone felt a little intrusive on my speakers. Might be just me though. I agree with Pete's comments on the bass, too.

All in all a great track!

@Pete - Sweet! I always find it admirable when so many different instruments play together without giving a rushed, busy or oversaturated feeling. The plucky guitar works great. Well done. :D As for the flow of the piece, I don't find it lacking; the rest about halfway in sounds quite natural. As Neaptide suggests, maybe a third section would be worth the effort. How do you plan to code the music in the game? If you have three sections, you could have a randomly selected part follow after one another. Might reduce the risk of getting annoyed by hearing the same loop of music all the time. On the other hand, I've been looping this stuff for fifteen minutes now and it's still cool. So maybe there's no need for that. Smiley

I've made a little piece, too: Efflorescence! It's intended as background music for an RPG, the accompaniment to sunshowered meadows and pastoral farmsteads, overgrown ruins and purling streams running down the grassy valley. I'd love to hear whatever feedback you have on composition and orchestration, but I'm particularly looking for tips on mixing and mastering; I've always found that the hardest part of writing! The timing on some parts (the choirs, mostly) seems a little off, too, but perhaps that's because I've been listening to this for a while now!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 01:23:54 PM by Barendhoff » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic