Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411501 Posts in 69379 Topics- by 58435 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 30, 2024, 03:32:27 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFour Chambers of the Human Heart
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Four Chambers of the Human Heart  (Read 4781 times)
initials
Level 2

Initials

View Profile
« on: May 28, 2014, 11:22:15 PM »

The Four Chambers of the Human Heart

« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 04:27:53 PM by initials » Logged

Initials
VFX/Games/Music
Super Lemonade Factory, Super Lemonade Factory Part Two, Revvolvver, Four Chambers of the Human Heart.
suggo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 01:14:21 AM »

I dig the art, very nice pixel work.  Wink

Any other info about the game?

dancing_dead
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 01:29:05 AM »

the background art is a real mixed bag with the obvious use of "impure" tools. I'm not a pixel purist by any stretch of the imagination, but there's a border, past which it gets ugly. an example.

initials
Level 2

Initials

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 07:56:09 PM »

the background art is a real mixed bag with the obvious use of "impure" tools. I'm not a pixel purist by any stretch of the imagination, but there's a border, past which it gets ugly. an example.

Good call. I'd love to replace all the background graphics and tiles. I'm on the fence about paying a really good pixel artist to jump on board.

Initials
VFX/Games/Music
Super Lemonade Factory, Super Lemonade Factory Part Two, Revvolvver, Four Chambers of the Human Heart.
pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 08:19:40 PM »

Hmm...yeah, I really like the background art here: http://initialsgames.com/image/FourChambers3.png

But some of the darker sets border on near invisible, at least on my monitor, and others still come off a bit blurry.

That said, I'm interested in hearing more about the combo and scoring systems, as well as how the game's going to be designed around that!

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 08:22:55 PM »

New game Initials? Cool :D

initials
Level 2

Initials

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2014, 09:17:50 PM »

I'm changing the tiles.

I've used Generic Platformer by SURT.

Short movie of the game

Source code: https://github.com/initials/XNAFourChambers

Initials
VFX/Games/Music
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2014, 09:44:32 PM »

Oop I liked the other tiles better! Tongue

surt
Level 7

Meat by-product.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 01:31:04 AM »

Got to agree with eigenbom. The old tiles (cellusious's?) much better fit the scale and colour-scheme of the sprites.

Real life would be so much better with permadeath.
PJ Gallery - OGA Gallery - CC0 Scraps
initials
Level 2

Initials

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 09:01:23 PM »

Got to agree with eigenbom. The old tiles (cellusious's?) much better fit the scale and colour-scheme of the sprites.

Hi Surt,

Thanks for your feedback. I do tend to agree, it looked better before in terms of matching the characters and the world. I've wanted to move away from the old tiles (Yes they were by Cellusious) for a few reasons, but there's no definite open license on them.

At this point I'm thinking of paying a professional pixel artist to rebuild the whole look of the game (except for the characters).

Initials
VFX/Games/Music
initials
Level 2

Initials

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 05:42:00 AM »

Level 1

Initials
VFX/Games/Music
Denzel Turtle
Level 0

Video Game Music !!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2014, 04:12:10 PM »

I love the art, it looks really amazing !

Denzel Turtle
initials
Level 2

Initials

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2014, 04:27:19 PM »

I cut the trailer together last night.

Initials
VFX/Games/Music
surt
Level 7

Meat by-product.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2014, 04:32:01 AM »

Is there a binary of this? The webpage says "Buy it now from itch.io" but I don't see any link to do so when I get there.

Also says open source but I can't find any info on license.

If proper open source and preferably buildable for linux or at least runnable under wine and you are still looking for someone to do tiles then I might be able to motivate myself to do something (I'm hating seeing my crappy old tiles there Embarrassed).

initials
Level 2

Initials

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2014, 04:34:01 PM »

There's a bit of a story here, I'll try to keep it short.

I had everything ready to release on Halloween, but then in posting screenshots etc trying to generate interest I caught the attention of a publisher/PR agency. So I took down the binary from itch.io just incase they didn't want it floating around. I'll privately send you a link to the current binary.

If you're interested in building the source, it's written in XNA and the source code is: https://github.com/initials/XNAFourChambers

Agree with building for Linux. In theory this should build with Monogame. I don't have much experience with building for Linux, but it's something I'll look into.

License: Well, I've used some of your tiles, which I believe are Attribution 3.0 Unported.
The characters are from here: http://imgur.com/a/JOKAx#80 and the license is another CC license. By the way, if anyone knows the whereabouts of svh440, you'd be solving a big mystery.
So it's a mix of licenses, but basically it all amounts to the source code and all the sprites and tiles being available in the repo https://github.com/initials/XNAFourChambers

If you want to do some tiles that would be awesome! Usually I like to take apart mockups, as long as they are in layers, and make them work in game.

Initials
VFX/Games/Music
surt
Level 7

Meat by-product.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2014, 11:07:14 PM »

I mean the program source code license. I didn't see it mentioned in the git repo.

Any guidance on what you want for the tiles: features, environments, style, examples, etc.?

initials
Level 2

Initials

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2014, 01:35:53 AM »

You're right. I should put a license on the code. I assume I'll use GPL. It's a Flixel port to C#, so I am assuming the Flixel part of the code remains GPL (I'll need to look into it further)

As for working on it, that would be a dream come true. I've been following your work for a while. I remember the first one I found was the spaceships.

I think something it lacks at the moment is unique landmarks. To dress up the tiles I've got a bit of a grass and the occasional tree and bridge, but nothing unique. To be honest, anything you contribute would be greatly appreciated. If you prefer working with a specific brief, I could type something up.

Initials
VFX/Games/Music
surt
Level 7

Meat by-product.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2014, 05:06:46 PM »

If you prefer working with a specific brief, I could type something up.
Would certainly help if you are after anything specific. Otherwise you'll have to suffer with whatever oozes out of my skull.

Tooled around a bit with something a bit more fitting in colour-scheme and scale (somewhat inspired by cellusious's stuff):

initials
Level 2

Initials

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2014, 07:21:10 PM »

This is so awesome. I'm going to start putting it into the game right now and see how it looks.

The portal door that you made is amazing. It's so perfect. Stay tuned for progress pics.

Initials
VFX/Games/Music
initials
Level 2

Initials

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2014, 08:10:42 PM »

Quick reply to say I put the tiles into the game and they look awesome so far.

Here's an album:

http://imgur.com/a/Y6pFS

The dots over the screen are fireflies, which look cool floating around the screen, but detract from the stills.

Initials
VFX/Games/Music
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic