Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 05:32:37 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)The happy programmer room
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 279
Print
Author Topic: The happy programmer room  (Read 678558 times)
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: February 22, 2009, 05:25:11 AM »

I downloaded and installed/compiled AllegroGL. I had no idea it lets me use normal Allegro drawing commands, except with hardware acceleration o.o

*squeee*

increpare
« Reply #141 on: March 01, 2009, 05:39:09 AM »

I've found myself using unsigned ints a lot recently.  I derive a definite pleasure from doing so.
dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 01, 2009, 10:25:24 AM »

I got bitmaps working in flash and I think my idea will be very easy to implement!
Zaknafein
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: March 01, 2009, 11:27:06 AM »

I'm half grumpy, half happy about the Code Contracts features of .NET 4.
I loved the Spec# syntax for defining contracts, preconditions, etc., and knowing that they're using the ideas in real C# is great, but I think I would've preferred reserved keywords to a library.
The "!" for non-nullable types was especially sexy.

Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 01, 2009, 02:13:28 PM »

I take objection to this thread. Programmers aren't supposed to be happy, they're supposed to hate MS APIs, any code not made by them (and old code made by them), and quaff Mountain Dew and Doritos in a futile attempt to hide from the miseries of life.

There, I have burst your false bubble of illusory happiness, now please return to the grind.

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: March 01, 2009, 03:06:48 PM »

irrlicht comes with a codeblocks project file.

easy compilation of libraries make me very happy (unlike that freeglut thing) <3

Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: March 01, 2009, 07:49:54 PM »

I am happy now that I got my dude walking across the screen, pushing boxes, and stepping up on them. Freaking yeah, I got a game now.

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
Will Vale
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: March 01, 2009, 08:10:55 PM »

I've found myself using unsigned ints a lot recently.  I derive a definite pleasure from doing so.

Good stuff! Far too many 'counts of things' are stored in ints, even though you can't have a negative number of whatever thing is being counted.
bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 02, 2009, 01:22:52 AM »

Good stuff! Far too many 'counts of things' are stored in ints, even though you can't have a negative number of whatever thing is being counted.

Equally, one could argue that storing a count of something as an unsigned int is crazy if you can't have more than 2147483647 of them!

increpare
« Reply #149 on: March 02, 2009, 01:33:23 AM »

Equally, one could argue that storing a count of something as an unsigned int is crazy if you can't have more than 2147483647 of them!
No, that's precisely the best time to have counts stored as unsigned ints  Wink
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: March 02, 2009, 10:39:47 AM »

When i was using pure C, I paid attention to the size of my variables. I would go so far as to only use single bytes for counts that would never be larger than 256. Now that I use only C++, i don't think about it too much, especially since most of the math that happens uses floating point math and i find myself storing things as floats so i dont have to bother with casting things left and right.

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
mirosurabu
« Reply #151 on: March 02, 2009, 11:00:50 AM »

I downloaded and installed/compiled AllegroGL. I had no idea it lets me use normal Allegro drawing commands, except with hardware acceleration o.o

*squeee*

Try OpenLayer. It's basically AllegroGL but comes with some neat things.

Regarding topic,

I haven't touched C++ since december last year. That makes me happy programmer.
Gold Cray
Level 10

Gold Cray

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: March 02, 2009, 11:35:34 AM »

I tried to compile a game with VC++ and then Code::Blocks in an attempt to use the C++ version of fmodex. After failing in both cases (in retrospect, I could have succeeded with code::blocks if I had realized what was going on), I finally installed Dev-C++ and converted my game to the C version of fmodex. It worked the third time (silly mistakes on my part involving included files). Dev-C++ has always been there for me.
increpare
« Reply #153 on: March 02, 2009, 11:43:36 AM »

devc++ stopped working for me recently (even when I try reinstalling stuff).  managed to get allegro compiling nicely with mingw myself today though.

I've abandoned cygwin for the moment; it had some nice parts to it, but overall I find mingw (well; I think I'm using something that's not strictly mingw, some sort of newer build of it so I can compile the latest boost versions) more amenable.
Greg
Level 0

has a compass, lost my map

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 02, 2009, 01:34:03 PM »

unsigned is good, but signed-unsigned comparisons can be a gotcha.
Code:
unsigned int i = 1;
int j = -1;
if ( i < j ) 
    printf( "what the?\n" );

A day for firm decisions!!! Or is it?
increpare
« Reply #155 on: March 02, 2009, 01:59:18 PM »

-Wall
David Pittman
Level 2

MAEK GAEM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: March 02, 2009, 05:48:16 PM »

-Wall

This. It will suck at first and you'll want to turn it off, but it feels way, way better to fix everything and maintain 0 warnings.

Cthulhu32
Level 6

Brawp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: March 04, 2009, 10:41:09 AM »

I rewrote the Winsock2 hook code at my new company for our main app, apparently nobody except the original Russian coder understood what it did. I also found an error in the assembly, because it works a little like this

[call function] 5 bytes
[nop space to fill old winsock2] 8 bytes
[jmp function] 5 bytes

Original article here: http://www.internals.com/articles/apispy/apispy.htm

the call function calls our new function,
the nop space is filled in by the previous first 5 or 6 bytes of the winsock function,
the jmp function is overwritten by an actual jmp offset between the old winsock2 call and our DLL inject.

Everything was fine except when send() was overwritten, the nop space was overwritten WITH the new offset jmp, leaving 2-3 bytes behind. Which means if any of those bytes is a 0x10, thats a system interrupt, kablooey to whatever is in eax possibly. (including system restarts)

I also hooked WSASend after I rewrote the code, and I have impressed the entire office  Wizard
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 11:01:01 AM by Cthulhu32 » Logged

Lynx
Level 5

Upstart Feline Miscreant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: March 04, 2009, 02:21:36 PM »

Most impressive!  That's Arcane with a capital A.

Currently developing dot sneak - a minimalist stealth game
increpare
« Reply #159 on: March 07, 2009, 05:55:26 PM »

got guile examples up and interpreted with close to 0 difficulty, and just about to try getting ecl up and working as well.  (I've been feeling a little guilty at how much I've been using lua recently; need to broaden my horizons just a little (not that I've really used lua that much or anything, more that a change of scene would be nice Smiley  ).

It constitutes a sort of bedtime treat: I've not had too productive a day today coding-wise.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 279
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic