Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 01:45:06 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)The happy programmer room
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 279
Print
Author Topic: The happy programmer room  (Read 677777 times)
Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 07, 2009, 06:17:37 PM »

Finished porting the main portion of my first D3D/C++ game from eight years right now into OGRE and using proper structure and coding standards. Shit, I wrote some sorry code then Sad But if felt good rescuing that old game (though the code was shite, the concept is good) which also gave me a great opportunity to test my new framework I'm developing for another game project!

It is a very good feeling seeing how much one has developed as a programmer! Coffee

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
increpare
« Reply #161 on: March 07, 2009, 06:26:38 PM »

going to upload this game for the rest of us to see now that you have it running, eh?
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 08, 2009, 04:16:09 AM »

got guile examples up and interpreted with close to 0 difficulty, and just about to try getting ecl up and working as well.

Are you saying you're thinking about embedding a Common Lisp implementation (ecl) as a scripting language for a game? Intriguing, though... aren't these typically quite gargantuan beasts?

(I've been feeling a little guilty at how much I've been using lua recently; need to broaden my horizons just a little

If you're open to suggestions, one language I've always thought would work very well as a game extension language is Io. It's quite unique, has minimalistic syntax and some intriguing concepts; I think you might enjoy it.
increpare
« Reply #163 on: March 08, 2009, 06:40:41 AM »

Are you saying you're thinking about embedding a Common Lisp implementation (ecl) as a scripting language for a game? Intriguing, though... aren't these typically quite gargantuan beasts?
ecl=embeddable common lisp.  the library is about 1mb I think (just checked: 1.8mb).   Scheme is a much smaller language (the dylib is 812KB). I don't know exactly if I do want to do any scripting proper in lisp/scheme-based languages, but I think that's unlikely to just occur to me unless I have it available as an easy-to-use option.

I'll check out IO now.  (Though, in general, I tend not to be too sensitive to object-oriented delicacies, so it will take some concentration...)
Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 08, 2009, 06:47:44 AM »

going to upload this game for the rest of us to see now that you have it running, eh?

Yeah, perhaps in a while Wink Translating and porting the game basics and fundamentally refacturing the code to a week, but I still have to implement a new user interface and tweak some mechanics that's been affected by changing libraries... But I will request feedback when ready for it, and thanks for the interest!
Beer!

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
Ravine
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: March 09, 2009, 05:30:11 AM »

i'm going to work on a 2d fighting game with some voice activation in it. We're aiming at XNA and .Net, so i'm quite happy since i'm more a C# dev than anyhing else. The schedule is tight, the technos available to ease the dev are obscure or not documented (yes i'm looking at you xnaMugen), but the team is eager to work and motivated.

(this forum lacks a "the in between happy and grumpy not old but not too young programmers room" actually)

Oh btw, if any of you know any good reference or litterature on fighting games, architecture, dev tricks, etc, i'll definitely be happy. Really.
Ina Vegt
Level 1

Girl Game Developer

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 12, 2009, 02:06:58 PM »

Woohoo, got my RNG to work.

An implementation of Multiply with Carry, creating plenty of lovely pseudo random numbers.

Fast too, 2^20 ints or floats within about a fifth of a second. Same amount of integers within a set range in a quarter of a second.
bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 12, 2009, 02:24:30 PM »

Oh btw, if any of you know any good reference or litterature on fighting games, architecture, dev tricks, etc, i'll definitely be happy. Really.

Dunno about "literature", but there's always KOF if you want to look at a working system.

Ravine
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 13, 2009, 08:38:47 AM »

Dunno about "literature", but there's always KOF if you want to look at a working system.

oh dude, thanks a lot ! THAT makes me happy (damn, even the smileys here make me happy :  Big Laff Outraged Cool Beg Giggle Shrug Epileptic )
Krux
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 13, 2009, 04:25:59 PM »

I am not happy, because I want to have physics in my Games, but I do not understand anything of those ODE (open dynamics engine) demos  Hand Shake Left Mock Anger Hand Shake Right
genericuser
« Reply #170 on: March 14, 2009, 01:08:58 AM »

Might wanna go to the grumpy old programmers then.
Ravine
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 14, 2009, 04:46:15 AM »

and maybe you can have a look on Bullet. I heard lots of good comments on that engine.
Krux
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 14, 2009, 10:07:44 AM »

Bullet looks cool, i have seen all the demos now. It has Soft bodys, and soft bodys are cool. I think I try that instead now. I hope the C++ interface helps a little bit to understand it, but thank you  Gentleman
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 14, 2009, 10:40:28 AM »

I use Bullet for collision detection in my engine and it's really fast and easy to use.

Hand Thumbs Up Left    Hand Thumbs Up Right

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Ryan
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 14, 2009, 10:06:19 PM »

I was able to remove the xib dependency in my iphone engine just by adding a couple lines of code. A tiny victory.

Shrug
increpare
« Reply #175 on: March 15, 2009, 10:42:26 AM »

Reading Modern C++ Design at the moment.  It's pretty of fun.  Just toying about templatizing some of my code now (the larger-scale engine code, where the structure is fixed at compile-time).
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: March 15, 2009, 11:34:29 AM »

I'm happy that I succeeded in my 7DRL challenge. It's amazing how much can be accomplished in a week.

So now I'm a 7 Day Roguliker. Sounds like a religious cult. Imagine the door approach: "Do you believe ADOM is the one true father?" "have you used the VI keyset?" "How much do you know about roguelikes? Would you like to play more?"

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
TeaAndBiscuits
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 18, 2009, 08:49:17 AM »

I'm happy.
Work is not so busy now Smiley
Gives me time to spend with my girlfriend
Gives me less stress
Gives me time to get back to my project

Bad news is that we are looking at another run of the BUSYS in mid April... think I may start a mini project that I know I can finish easily... Hmm...

-T&B
Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: April 04, 2009, 10:44:21 PM »

Uh oh after years of tedious coding I only now found out Notepad++ can indent (and un-indent) as many lines of code as you have selected at once. I used to manually go line by line indenting when the nesting levels changed. WTF

This will make future coding much easier!
bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 05, 2009, 09:33:07 AM »

Uh oh after years of tedious coding I only now found out Notepad++ can indent (and un-indent) as many lines of code as you have selected at once. I used to manually go line by line indenting when the nesting levels changed. WTF

Incidentally, anyone who does a lot of programming should seriously consider using an editor that can map any operation across multiple lines. The easiest way in most editors is to use a macro. Go to the start of the first line, start recording, do whatever it is, move to the start of the next line, then stop recording. Now replaying the macro will get your task done. (Start, stop and replay should be bound to single keystrokes.)

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 279
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic