Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 09:11:17 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)The happy programmer room
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 279
Print
Author Topic: The happy programmer room  (Read 677728 times)
Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: April 05, 2009, 11:28:37 PM »

Incidentally, anyone who does a lot of programming should seriously consider using an editor that can map any operation across multiple lines. The easiest way in most editors is to use a macro. Go to the start of the first line, start recording, do whatever it is, move to the start of the next line, then stop recording. Now replaying the macro will get your task done. (Start, stop and replay should be bound to single keystrokes.)

Notepad++ does have macros, but I don't find any use for it. The only multi-line operation I usually have to do is indenting.
Chris Z
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: April 05, 2009, 11:36:24 PM »

Incidentally, anyone who does a lot of programming should seriously consider using an editor that can map any operation across multiple lines. The easiest way in most editors is to use a macro. Go to the start of the first line, start recording, do whatever it is, move to the start of the next line, then stop recording. Now replaying the macro will get your task done. (Start, stop and replay should be bound to single keystrokes.)

gVIM!  Wizard

Kekskiller
« Reply #182 on: April 05, 2009, 11:37:32 PM »

I discovered the useful aspects of templated one-structure-lists! Now I can make the most weird list handlings ever in the world! Oh shit, I love C++.

Code:
template<class D> struct item
{
  item<D>* nxt;
  item<D>* prv;
  D data;

item<D> ();
  item<D> (D d);
  item<D> (item<D>* p, item<D>* n);
  item<D> (item<D>* p, item<D>* n, D d);
  itemtype type();
  void cut();
  void tear();
};

I wonder why I haven't used that before...
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: April 06, 2009, 10:14:13 AM »

Congrats all 'round to all ye programmers who have participated in the Cockpit Compo!

Revel in the ability to spend your spare time /playing/ games instead of having to /work on/ them.

Chris Z
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: April 06, 2009, 10:25:41 AM »

Congrats all 'round to all ye programmers who have participated in the Cockpit Compo!

Revel in the ability to spend your spare time /playing/ games instead of having to /work on/ them.

Tell me about it!  Screamy Can't wait to get home and play SF4 and WoW all night.

Personally, I think this community is incredible for just pumping out so many games.  A few people weren't in their comfort zone with 3D but still jumped on this competition.  I'm relatively new to TIGS but I already love it sooo much better than a certain other site (rhymes with "mainsev.met") where all they do is talk technique and theory and have ego battles.  People really get their hands dirty here and produce some quality stuff.

Tiger Beer!

genericuser
« Reply #185 on: April 06, 2009, 11:33:45 AM »

Today, I finally gave up trying to use PyGame for doing MP3s, and started using (compressed) WAVs instead.

It didn't affect the size of my game that much, and I don't have to worry about Python dependencies any more!  Grin
Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: April 08, 2009, 05:10:22 AM »

Today, I finally gave up trying to use PyGame for doing MP3s, and started using (compressed) WAVs instead.

MP3 is compressed WAV, so I wonder what you're using now.
Zaknafein
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: April 08, 2009, 06:08:23 AM »

He probably meant ADPCM or other cheap lossless compression inside WAV containers...

As for me, I'm happy that the Xbox 360 GPU is ridiculously fast compared to PCs I tested. Hand Thumbs Up Left

Business Bear
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 08, 2009, 07:05:15 AM »

gVIM!

Wizard
genericuser
« Reply #189 on: April 08, 2009, 07:52:27 AM »

MP3 is compressed WAV, so I wonder what you're using now.

Oops, meant lower-quality WAVs (i.e. not 44khz stereo)  Shrug
Gold Cray
Level 10

Gold Cray

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: April 08, 2009, 08:06:42 PM »

I laid out all of my classes for this game before I started making them instead of just coming up with things as I go like I normally do. I've only just started implementing them, but I can already tell that things are going to go more quickly and smoothly than normal, and it's really nice having some idea of how everything will fit together before I start. I am a happy programmer.
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: April 09, 2009, 06:11:33 AM »

I laid out all of my classes for this game before I started making them instead of just coming up with things as I go like I normally do. I've only just started implementing them, but I can already tell that things are going to go more quickly and smoothly than normal, and it's really nice having some idea of how everything will fit together before I start. I am a happy programmer.
I know that's the way it's supposed to be done, but I've never managed to pull it off. Should have for ASCIIpOrtal, I did enough planning, but I still didn't. Ah well.

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
Business Bear
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 09, 2009, 06:52:11 AM »

Using UML to describe your programs can be very helpful!  I like to make class diagrams that show high level interactions first, and then get started programming.

Once the "framework" code comes together, I'll go back and create some more detailed class diagrams for each of the components.

Coffee
bigbossSNK
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 09, 2009, 07:20:05 AM »

Bear, care to give us a suggestion on a program you use for UML?
Business Bear
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 10, 2009, 05:55:40 AM »

Sure!  I'm using OmniGraffle Pro at the moment, which I believe is Mac only.

Back when I was a Windows user, I used Microsoft Visio.

I'm currently looking for something open source for Linux, but I haven't really looked that hard yet.

David Pittman
Level 2

MAEK GAEM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: April 10, 2009, 08:51:11 AM »

I finally got my AI behavior trees to a state where there's a real playable combat loop. It's not quite fun yet, but it works well and is a decent "straw man" to test and improve upon.

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: April 11, 2009, 03:25:08 PM »

Sometimes you get on to a task and it takes ages because you engineered it badly in the first place and the thought of reprogramming it makes you gag. Other times, like tonight, you can just write loads of code and it all flows naturally and easily, and you can get nice things done quickly. I think a big part of it is focus, you have to be in the right frame of mind as well as have code you are familiar with and that isn't all hacked together.

TeaAndBiscuits
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 21, 2009, 07:42:44 AM »

I love the way this forum embraces OOP and modern programming techniques like scriptin and markup languages.

I salute you. One and all.
 Beer!

-T&B

Alex2x
« Reply #198 on: April 21, 2009, 08:12:29 AM »

Perhaps programming trends are cyclical, and in 20 years everyone will code procedurally once again Smiley
increpare
« Reply #199 on: April 21, 2009, 09:37:25 AM »

I love the way this forum embraces OOP and modern programming techniques like scriptin and markup languages.
And how we're simultaneously open to more old-school languages, right? Smiley

[planning on having a lispy week here next week, and thoroughly looking forward to it Smiley ]
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 279
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic