Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 06:39:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)The happy programmer room
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 279
Print
Author Topic: The happy programmer room  (Read 678233 times)
Maikel_Ortega
Level 1

...and the stars, my destination.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2940 on: October 27, 2012, 04:57:45 PM »

My shooter enemies shoot me, and my melee enemy tries to kick my ass. And they move, and evade and stuff like this. This almost feels like a beat'em up!

Evil

Melee Studios:http://melee-studios.com<br />Forever WIP (ESP devlog): http://maikel.londite.es/devlog/
@Alex@
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2941 on: October 28, 2012, 08:39:25 AM »

Well I've been busy adding support to all Towers in a tower defence game to have 2 aspects that determine the bullet they shoot. A primary one which is like Standard ,Fire , Acid etc and a secondary one which is like Limited Range , Homing , Piercing and surprisingly this all worked out first time.
Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2942 on: October 30, 2012, 02:03:54 AM »

Had some code that was malfunctioning. Nasty bug promising nasty fix. Code was written a couple of months ago, so I'm a bit rusty on it. Was having great trouble tracking down the cause, looked to be something that was going to take a great deal of time to track down, with a considerable degree of tediousness.

Replacing it involved making changes to multiple files of considerable complexity, with a great chance for the slightest mistake to have far-reaching consequences and to increase the scope of the problem considerably.

Couldn't figure it out, so said "screw it". Spent ten minutes rewriting it, involving several risky changes across multiple files. The odds of my changes working were pretty much zero, you don't rip out chunks of commonly-used code indiscriminately and expect no consequences. You certainly don't gut some core infrastructure and replace it perfectly in ten minutes. It just doesn't happen.

Did it anyway. It worked perfectly first time. No further changes needed. Tests 100% success. Fixed the original problem instantly. Code is clearer, easier to understand, and smaller.

I still have no idea what was causing the previous bug, but it no longer matters because the ten minute implementation I slapped together quickly was superior to my existing code in every way.

I did everything wrong and it all turned out wonderfully right. It's moments like these that make me love software development.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2943 on: October 30, 2012, 04:51:55 AM »

Couldn't figure it out, so said "screw it". Spent ten minutes rewriting it, involving several risky changes across multiple files. The odds of my changes working were pretty much zero, you don't rip out chunks of commonly-used code indiscriminately and expect no consequences. You certainly don't gut some core infrastructure and replace it perfectly in ten minutes. It just doesn't happen.

Did it anyway. It worked perfectly first time. No further changes needed. Tests 100% success. Fixed the original problem instantly. Code is clearer, easier to understand, and smaller.

Hand Clap Grin

Finally tired of wrestling with my tile-setting code for now, I'm going to opt into simplifying designs even further and work in the more admittedly constrained, but functional basic level-chunking prototype. First battle: A*'ing the levels to make sure they're completable (or simply force-restarting the engine if the result is not). Next? Simplifying and redesigning concepts to work within the new constraints while remaining fun.

Most of the stuff seems rather straightforward, only thing design-wise messing with me is upward travelling (between scenes/screens) in platformer/gravity perspective. Currently, it requires at *least* 5-6 tiles of height, and I'm pretty sure I don't want characters jumping that high on their own; and also finding a way to do so that doesn't break the natural vertical tension inherent to platformer gameplay.

After that? Establishing basic player characters and shot classes.

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2944 on: October 30, 2012, 05:25:32 AM »

First battle: A*'ing the levels to make sure they're completable (or simply force-restarting the engine if the result is not).
just saying, you do not need A* for checking your levels,  yes it will give you fast and solid solutions but unless you've got an existing solution, I think you will have trouble implementing it and considering you've set yourself about a hundred steps before actually starting on the game parts of your game, dropping in a simple flood fill algorithm would be much faster and would suit your needs.

Just saying, with all these steps before you get to play anything fun, you're likely to burn out, and we wouldn't want that.

Garthy glad to hear that worked out so well!

Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2945 on: October 30, 2012, 04:56:35 PM »

Thanks guys. Smiley

Currently, it requires at *least* 5-6 tiles of height, and I'm pretty sure I don't want characters jumping that high on their own; and also finding a way to do so that doesn't break the natural vertical tension inherent to platformer gameplay.

Did somebody say: "moving platforms"? "steps"? "ladders"? Smiley

If the issue is how a player in a procedurally-generated level can travel upward through a segment of it, you could add a bunch of out-of-sync horizontal platforms, a single up-down vertical platform, or just a straight ladder. The horizontal platform solution could give some tension, and some spikes near the base could add to it. One-way up could be done via platforms that only block downward motion, or a rising block that leads to a small "room" with a door that shuts behind you. One-way down is of course so much easier, a big drop tends to work. Smiley

That's assuming I understand the problem correctly, of course. Smiley I hope the ideas are useful in any case.
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2946 on: October 30, 2012, 05:02:48 PM »

Just ran a relatively unoptimized SAT implementation on the PSP-Vita. There's some redundant calculations and I return all vectors by value. Even then it passed the stress test easily. The processor on the Vita is actually quite nice apparently.

Jebus 6 weeks of only writing engine code. I am so glad I can get back to actual game coding now.

B_ill
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2947 on: October 30, 2012, 07:12:42 PM »

Finally got to the point where we felt comfortable releasing Chemical Cubes! Woohoo! It's available on Android and Kindle Fire right now...but I'm planning on making a full post in the releases section with all the details. This is more of a "awww yeah, the programming side finally came together to a releasable state" post.

Also, made some good progress on the prototype for the next project, too. I'm laying out the architecture for a TD variant in Unity, and have been focusing on little-picture stuff (units and their components for now) so it doesn't seem like it's advancing very much...but next step is to get everything working together so I should see some big visible gains coming up.

Game Programmer and Designer
Latest Release: Chemical Cubes for Android and Kindle Fire (iOS coming soon)
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2948 on: October 30, 2012, 08:10:55 PM »

^ congrats Smiley

nospoon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2949 on: November 01, 2012, 06:32:54 PM »

So I kinda learned libgdx today

It works suprisingly fast, libgdx seems awesome.

btw.
Does anybody know, how to move a Sprite not relative to its rotation ?
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2950 on: November 01, 2012, 08:16:01 PM »

Yeah the brief time I spent with libgdx was pretty great. It made Android programming so much less annoying.

nospoon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2951 on: November 01, 2012, 11:50:06 PM »

btw.
Does anybody know, how to move a Sprite not relative to its rotation ?
It seems, that I'm retarded :D
I had something in my entity.update() function , and it bugged the rotations.
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2952 on: November 05, 2012, 07:07:08 PM »

YES HAHAHAHAHAH

fixed a bug in a check for "is facing the enemy" - the position vector used for that check was passed to a raycast function as the (by reference) endpoint, which is updated in the event of a ray hit - which means the "is facing" check was bogus a lot of the time. +temp, Sorted. YUS

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2953 on: November 05, 2012, 07:28:38 PM »

weee, it's only a minor test revision but it took two months and now moonman is incremented to 0.21. Toast Right

kiddRaddical
Level 0

ALT UNIVERSE SEGA SATURN DEV

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2954 on: November 06, 2012, 07:46:16 PM »

Just implemented SSB-style drop in/drop out multiplayer, feelin' like a a boss  Cool

posting (too) regularly on Twitter: @EthanRedd
EthanRedd.com
_Tommo_
Level 8

frn frn frn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2955 on: November 07, 2012, 01:08:53 PM »

... and this screen shows the OpenGL version of the game works 100% like the DX one Corny Laugh

It took soooo much longer than I forethought, but F**K YEAH it works! Beer!

(and it also shows that imgur's jpeg compression is the worst, but still)

ALourenco
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2956 on: November 07, 2012, 01:25:01 PM »

I have been geting into DirectX and Open GL and I'm actualy understanding it. It's amazing to start knowing how the games I played until now are done and I am actualy starting to do some little things  Grin 

GameDev Master Student.
Game Engines and Computer Graphics in free time.

@CodinGree
SuperDisk
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2957 on: November 07, 2012, 02:31:41 PM »

Finished up doing a structural change thing in MegaCity that I figured would totally jack up everything.. but surprisingly it works great! This is perhaps the first time I've shouted "Yeah!" during programming..  Durr...?
B_ill
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2958 on: November 07, 2012, 07:10:53 PM »

I think I understand Git now.

Great success  Coffee

Game Programmer and Designer
Latest Release: Chemical Cubes for Android and Kindle Fire (iOS coming soon)
Sean A.
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #2959 on: November 08, 2012, 04:39:11 AM »

My meta ball function and rendering worked the first time after only looking a few vague articles. I even almost got the constants right the first time!
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 279
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic