Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411516 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 08:10:28 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)The happy programmer room
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 279
Print
Author Topic: The happy programmer room  (Read 678667 times)
SeaWyrm
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3000 on: November 13, 2012, 07:40:32 PM »

Got rid of some nasty invisible triangles in my slope collision, no sweat. I'd been worried that I'd forgotten everything I ever knew about lines ever. Turned out it was just a couple of <s that should have been >s.   

I'm writing monthly Douglas Adams-esque short stories on Patreon: Doomsday Comet and the Twelve Moons of Beledde IV
SodiumEyes
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3001 on: November 16, 2012, 06:44:49 PM »

Spent the last while working on physics and rendering systems. Finally put them all together and now I have some test objects bouncing around with custom collision geometry (created using a custom utility program), all rendered with HDR lighting and shadow cascades.

kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #3002 on: November 24, 2012, 12:55:39 PM »

Tried to load a BMP with a custom function for the first time,

it worked!  Smiley

eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3003 on: November 25, 2012, 07:11:56 AM »

sunday evening speed coding. made in two hours using html5 canvas and javascript

http://illogictree.com/games/obsidian/

kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #3004 on: November 25, 2012, 07:13:06 AM »

sunday evening speed coding. made in two hours using html5 canvas and javascript

http://illogictree.com/games/obsidian/

I sense MATHS.

ChevyRay
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3005 on: November 25, 2012, 10:44:14 AM »

Decided that it was a great idea to code a bunch of progress on FlashPunk 2 while drunk last night...

Unexpectedly, I woke up to find out that I added two very tough important features, and had left a bunch of completely legible comments for myself explaining how things work.

Epileptic

Not sure how, but I am a happy programmer. Smiley
nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3006 on: November 25, 2012, 12:17:19 PM »

Smiley

can't remember where Well, hello there! but somewhere on this board is a thread that even has some scientific proof for the -drunk coding is better- theorem   Toast Left Beer! Toast Right
Gunhead
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3007 on: November 26, 2012, 03:24:35 AM »

lol, the last time we stayed in for a late code/art session and got drunk, almost nothing done.

Other than the act of drinking of course.

Sergi
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3008 on: November 26, 2012, 04:24:56 AM »

That's because you didn't reach the Ballmer's Peak.

Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3009 on: November 29, 2012, 10:55:05 PM »

Quadrupled Eclipse's loading time by turning off my antivirus :D
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3010 on: November 30, 2012, 02:41:29 AM »

I hope ou mean cut down to 25% of its loading time  Tongue

Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3011 on: November 30, 2012, 02:58:07 AM »

I hope ou mean cut down to 25% of its loading time  Tongue

er, yeah, I meant speed Tongue
Sergi
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3012 on: November 30, 2012, 02:59:08 AM »

So it only takes like 10 minutes now? Tongue

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3013 on: November 30, 2012, 03:45:46 AM »

lmaoooooo  Grin Grin

RalenHlaalo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3014 on: November 30, 2012, 04:42:53 AM »

Just rewrote my renderer (again). It's based on OpenGLES2, but the interface is implementation independent. Unlike my previous iteration, this one runs in its own thread. It was my first (non-college assignment) experience with threading. You can check it out here if you like. Feel free to leave some critical comments, so then we can talk about it and hopefully I'll learn something Smiley

AlexStv
Level 0

Based on real events!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3015 on: November 30, 2012, 06:05:38 AM »

I'm a learning programming and game design and just finished writing my own A* pathfinder for a unity stealth game I'm working on. Node based navigation, backtracking when the path gets stuck down a dead end and streamlining of the path when it's done. All that's left is smoothing the result.  Smiley

st33d
« Reply #3016 on: November 30, 2012, 06:48:58 AM »

Err, hate to break this to you but A* doesn't get stuck in dead ends.
AlexStv
Level 0

Based on real events!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3017 on: November 30, 2012, 08:07:42 AM »

Hmm, I may have written something not as A* based as I originally intended but from what I've read, while plotting the path it would be possible for A* to choose a path that, while seeming to be the shortest route, doesn't actually lead to the target if there are walls blocking off the path further down, then if all the nodes that lead there are already on the closed list it won't be able to find a path out that isn't blocked by walls so it would need to backtrack it's way out until there are other nodes to choose from and try those instead. I may have misunderstood A* though but whatever my code is it works well for the levels I have.
My main reference was this: http://www.policyalmanac.org/games/aStarTutorial.htm and it specifically mentions dead ends and labeling them as such to avoid them although my levels contain far too many dead ends to label them all so I need a more automatic fix.
Edit: I don't want to clog up the happy programmer thread with my problems though Smiley

zacaj
Level 3

void main()

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3018 on: November 30, 2012, 08:10:32 AM »

I think in the most basic version of A* you don't lead the expansion in any direction, it just spreads on every side.  Realizing dead ends might be important if you used something to expand in the direction of the goal

My twitter: @zacaj_

Quote from: mcc
Well let's just take a look at this "getting started" page and see--
Download and install cmake
Noooooooo
st33d
« Reply #3019 on: November 30, 2012, 08:35:56 AM »

Facepalm

Guys.

A* expands in the direction of the goal because the formula is:

f = g + h

Where f is the value of the node, g is the total physical distance to walk to the node and h is the distance to the node as the crow flies.

This means that A*'s open and closed lists expand towards the goal and start to skip back to alternatives as that growth meets dead ends. This behaviour occurs because of the relationship between the open and closed lists.

The open list is the list of nodes you are considering routes from, the closed is the list of examine nodes that you are done with.

There isn't a "basic" version of A* that behaves differently - that's not A*. What you would have if the node network grew organically would be Dijkstra's algorithm or Best First Search. Both useful in different ways, but not A*.

Knowing the difference is very important if you want to find help on debugging your AI. I raise the point because I've made this mistake myself long in the past.
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 279
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic