Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 27, 2024, 01:16:32 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)The happy programmer room
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 279
Print
Author Topic: The happy programmer room  (Read 678605 times)
ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3180 on: January 28, 2013, 02:50:41 PM »

Darn! I just love Chrome <3 It makes Web Development so much fun. We integrated the Gamepad API in our game it it's just fun running around shooting balls around.

Chrome has a Gamepad API!? Awesome!

R.D.
Level 2

Making a game about balls. Yepp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3181 on: January 28, 2013, 04:40:31 PM »

Darn! I just love Chrome <3 It makes Web Development so much fun. We integrated the Gamepad API in our game and it's just fun running around shooting balls around.

Chrome has a Gamepad API!? Awesome!

It has for quite a while now! Problem is (as always with new tech) it not well documented. This article on HMTL5 Rocks talks a bit about integration and support:
Click me!

Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3182 on: January 28, 2013, 11:04:48 PM »

Customizable hotkeys makes everything so much faster.
Endurion
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3183 on: January 29, 2013, 02:14:05 AM »

How come proprietary stuff is awesome in Chrome, but bad in IE? Hypocrites!
_Tommo_
Level 8

frn frn frn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3184 on: January 29, 2013, 02:19:03 AM »

I think because Google stuff actually tries to push the web forward and Google actively wants other browser to support it asap, while MS has traditionally done the opposite?

Endurion
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3185 on: January 29, 2013, 02:26:00 AM »

Times have changed since the 90s.
bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3186 on: January 29, 2013, 02:41:55 AM »

It's not awesome in Chrome. Unfortunately the entire history of the web is all about people using content types which weren't really a good idea. Anyone besides me old enough to remember the controversial Netscape extensions to HTML? In retrospect, they were a pretty good move. Also, sometimes horrible proprietary stuff has a happy ending - Flash went from being the worst thing ever to a pretty good games platform.

Thecoolestnerdguy
Level 2

while(!succeed) try();

View Profile
« Reply #3187 on: January 29, 2013, 03:38:43 AM »

The gamepad api is not Chrome proprietary, it's a w3c working draft (soon a recommendation, hopefully) and is currently implemented on Chrome and Firefox.

Sad minecraft didnt copyright squares
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3188 on: January 29, 2013, 04:45:48 AM »

Ajax actually exists because MicroSoft added non-standard functions in IE that allows it. It wasn't common at all before.

R.D.
Level 2

Making a game about balls. Yepp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3189 on: January 29, 2013, 06:30:08 AM »

Quote from: bateleur
Also, sometimes horrible proprietary stuff has a happy ending - Flash went from being the worst thing ever to a pretty good games platform.

Flash is a pretty good game platform? The tooling is great but flash has no performance I have a pretty modern pc and yet games in flash have lags... And in another Tab WegGL is doing some point cloud rendering.) and also not right mouse button! :p
But Tooling might be the reason why many people end up with flash?
And isn't Adobe dropping Flash and going all HTML5 too?

Quote from: Thecoolestnerdguy
The gamepad api is not Chrome proprietary, it's a w3c working draft (soon a recommendation, hopefully) and is currently implemented on Chrome and Firefox.

That is true, I really hope they push this in the other Browsers. And while doing this, Opera needs some updates for the canvas element :D
Firefox only has it in the nightlies (and with a flag afair) and I heard they want to change the event based system to a pooling mechanism? Something like navigator.gamepads in Firefox would be nice!

The Web Audio API should be supported too. Currently for games you have to use the audio tag which has a lot of latency. If we already have a way to render stuff hardware accelerated why not doing the same for sound? 

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3190 on: January 29, 2013, 07:14:29 AM »

MULTIPLAYER AND NETWORKING Evil
fractilegames
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3191 on: January 29, 2013, 09:34:32 AM »

Yesterday I almost posted to the grumpy programmer thread, when after having spent weeks (not very actively) re-factoring my bad in-game level editor code, I noticed that functionality-wise I was exactly where I started..

Today I implemented multilevel undo/redo functionality in just a few lines of code and it worked on the first try. Looks like the re-factoring work paid off! Grin

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3192 on: January 29, 2013, 07:50:40 PM »

MULTIPLAYER AND NETWORKING Evil
Good feels, hey?

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3193 on: January 29, 2013, 11:27:04 PM »

successfully tamed win32 enough to get mm0.3 done. successful evolution from grumpymon to happymon!

keelo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3194 on: January 30, 2013, 03:32:08 AM »

grokked MOAI and lua coroutines enough to make an AI idea thingamajig, so I can prototype complex enemy behaviors quickly and reload them on the fly!  Toast Right

Sam
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3195 on: January 30, 2013, 04:32:24 PM »

Flash is a pretty good game platform? The tooling is great but flash has no performance I have a pretty modern pc and yet games in flash have lags... And in another Tab WegGL is doing some point cloud rendering.) and also not right mouse button! :p
But Tooling might be the reason why many people end up with flash?
And isn't Adobe dropping Flash and going all HTML5 too?

Flash is indeed a good game platform. Its great weakness is that there's a long and rich history of people making incredibly poorly engineered games for it, thanks mostly to that popular tooling.

Flash now has low level hardware acceleration in MacOS, Windows, and mobile using the Stage3D API. Create vertex buffer objects, create shaders, pass them to the hardware and receive excellent performance.
Speaking of mobile, the death of Flash on phones was greatly exaggerated. Embedded Flash content in websites is basically gone, but you can fairly easily package up a SWF as an AIR app and put it in stores and sell it.
Flash has support for workers so you can get some multithreading going.
Flash does, indeed, have support for the right and middle mouse buttons.
Flash can even do some crazy voodoo with embedding C++ code within the SWF, which apparently then executes really fast. I don't have experience with that though.

Adobe's approach to Flash is to reposition it as being a platform for cross-platform games and high performance video (whatever that means). The tools they developed for Flash-based sites will probably become HTML5 stuff. But they are very much still developing Flash, and they're taking it in game-friendly directions. For instance they recently released a quite excellent profiler.

In my opinion Abode's failing with regards Flash is communication. Everyone seems to think that Farmville and Binding of Isaac represent the technological pinnacle of what's possible with Flash.

Anyway! I'm a happy programmer because I fixed some really unpleasantly hard to find bugs with my water physics. Although still some unfinished work with how the water is displayed so it appears to have gaps when running down slopes.
Coincidentally this is running in Flash, in browser, at 60 FPS.

Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #3196 on: January 31, 2013, 06:32:29 AM »

The water looks a touch wonky going down a steep slope, but other than that:  Kiss.
nospoon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3197 on: January 31, 2013, 09:21:30 AM »

IMO Flash isn't slow, it's just that most programmers don't care about optimization.

For example : My old flash game uses n^2 collisions.
aaaaand I blame it on flash being slow.
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3198 on: February 02, 2013, 04:57:51 AM »

I just made a system that can store a list of items with stats and can sort the items by any of those stats.
Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #3199 on: February 02, 2013, 05:40:08 AM »

Now all you need are the abilities to filter by category and stack similar items.

Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 279
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic