Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411514 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 03:22:55 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)The happy programmer room
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 279
Print
Author Topic: The happy programmer room  (Read 678663 times)
kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #3240 on: February 16, 2013, 01:03:24 PM »

Wow. First time double-posting in this thread!
Guess I'm the lucky one.

Anyways, jQuery is so fun to play with!
Can't get enough of it Smiley

Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3241 on: February 17, 2013, 10:22:42 AM »

My specialized IK/Physics system is coming along nicely.  Integrator's done, just need to add force balancing and joint range forces and I'll have the start of a dynamic character.

Creativity births expression.  Curiosity births exploration.
Our work is as soil to these seeds; our art is what grows from them...

Wreath, SoundSelf, Infinite Blank, Cave Story+, <plaid/audio>
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3242 on: February 22, 2013, 12:18:43 AM »

Been using Qt Creator this week. It's actually quite nice.

I'm using the C++ desktop projects, not the QtQuick javascript/qml stuff.

_Tommo_
Level 8

frn frn frn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3243 on: February 23, 2013, 05:50:50 PM »

I fixed tons of stuff in my engine that I was dragging along for too much time Big Laff

-viewport acting strange in 2D (i got the inverse wrong apparently, glm::inverse() did the trick)
-Fonts not working with hot-reload even though they should: something was wrong with how it stored the dynamic pages, unordered_map saved the day again
-things being unscaled in the first frame: a nasty little bug where I called the function computing the pixel-perfect scale after the one building the world matrix.

and being able to edit anything and see the the results ingame just by pressing F5 is darn cool, take that scripting languages Beer!

makerimages
Level 2

Makerimages Studios

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3244 on: February 24, 2013, 05:20:44 AM »

Im happy cuz i got v0.1 of my game out!!!

Makerimages-Its in the pixel
pixhead
« Reply #3245 on: February 24, 2013, 05:13:58 PM »

I spent the entire day fucking with std::map in c++. I had a bug, that I thought had to do with string comparisons - I was using strings as keys and the program crashed on find(). ButIn the end, it had nothing to do with string comparisons.

Honestly, I don't even KNOW what the fuck it was! I passed the point of research, and was just angrily deleting and re-fucktoring everything, until POOF it worked.

I don't think I'll ever know what that mystery bug was Who, Me?
George Michaels
Level 0

I like big butts and I can not lie

View Profile
« Reply #3246 on: February 24, 2013, 08:29:29 PM »

Got my demo to compile with only one dependency on glfw.dll and dump it all into a folder for distribution :D

My build file looks like this now:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
g++ main.cpp -o loldongs.exe -static-libgcc -L./DEPENDENCIES -lglfw -lopengl32 --std=c++0x

if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
echo "SUCCESS"

rm -rf BUILD
mkdir BUILD

mv loldongs.exe BUILD
cp -r levels BUILD
cp DEPENDENCIES/glfw.dll BUILD

else
echo "FAILED"
fi

Here's a pic too:

The red guy chases the blue guy until they collide and the roles switch. tl;dr it's chasey/tag with circles.

Yeah, that.
WonderlandGames
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3247 on: February 25, 2013, 02:07:42 PM »

CUT DOWN A CRAZY AMOUNT OF LAG FROM GAME WORLD AND MADE IT RUN SEAMLESSLY! Cool Durr...?
Will Vale
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3248 on: February 26, 2013, 03:55:06 AM »

I'm happy because I thought of a nice simple scheme to allow me to write audio packets from one thread and have PortAudio consume them from another. It even worked when I implemented it. Not bad for 80 lines of code. Although I might still need a memory barrier on the write side.

I now have most of the pieces of a lightweight sound system - output, wave loading, and a play head. Mixer next?

Will
ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3249 on: February 26, 2013, 01:23:52 PM »

I'm happy because I thought of a nice simple scheme to allow me to write audio packets from one thread and have PortAudio consume them from another. It even worked when I implemented it. Not bad for 80 lines of code. Although I might still need a memory barrier on the write side.

I now have most of the pieces of a lightweight sound system - output, wave loading, and a play head. Mixer next?

Will

portaudio ftw! \o/

Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3250 on: February 28, 2013, 02:18:03 AM »

Just learned that the average person's "90% confidence estimate" is closer to 30% confidence. That explains why so many projects go over twice the estimated time!
Will Vale
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3251 on: February 28, 2013, 03:48:35 AM »

portaudio ftw! \o/

\o/ indeed Smiley

Got mixing working now, and updated my stream interface so that streams can indicate that they're finished:

Code:
struct IStream
{
virtual bool Render( Sample *samples, Nat frames, Nat channels, Nat sample_rate ) = 0;
};

The virtual call isn't a big deal here because streams usually get asked to render a couple of thousand samples at a time, and it lets you compose streams without caring what they are. E.g. Mixer implements IStream, so you can have one mixer at the top level, or do submixes and things like that if you like.

Happy programmer Smiley

Will
Rusk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3252 on: February 28, 2013, 04:28:10 AM »

Just learned that the average person's "90% confidence estimate" is closer to 30% confidence. That explains why so many projects go over twice the estimated time!

That seems reasonable, but how does it scale? I have sometimes wondered how to interpret when people say something like 110%. Perhaps that means about 40% then, although intuitively I would trust a person claiming 90% over someone claiming 110%. Huh?
VortexCortex
Level 2

Engram Architect

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3253 on: February 28, 2013, 05:12:56 AM »

That seems reasonable, but how does it scale?

I'm not really sure, but it's something called "The Planning Fallacy", and it apparently applies to everything.  I always double the amount of time I think it's going to take me when I do a bid.  Turns out surprisingly accurate.

______

Doing some web dev I got angered at JavaScript's cryptic behavior of not working but not giving any indication of error either...   Laughter is the best medicine for this malady, IMO, so here's

me be a happy programmer.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 12:00:51 AM by VortexCortex » Logged

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3254 on: February 28, 2013, 09:04:24 PM »

The more I use Qt the more like it. Hell the creator IDE is a lot better now. I might even use it for a non-qt project!

well probably not but it's still nice Smiley

Another great thing is often when there's something I need from Boost it also exists in Qt. I like their filesystem better than Boost's.

pixhead
« Reply #3255 on: March 02, 2013, 07:53:27 PM »

I just squashed an annoying rendering bug in my level editor. It's almost ready to develop with Smiley

Also, I just realized, I mainly post in the happy programmer room. I guess it just feels better to say "squashed another bug!" than "FUCK I CAN'T FIX IT NOOOO"... just a thought I had Tongue
TomHunt
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3256 on: March 02, 2013, 09:34:06 PM »

fixed a minor hack i had made a while back that locked the player's ball into a set rotation. this wasn't noticeable as the ball had no texture. adding a simple bar texture made this very noticeable. so i removed the hack and added some rolling simulation using a bit of some good old fashioned 3D math.

also i added HSV options with a dynamic preview of the ball to customize the ball color. the preview is rendered using a separate camera enabled and disabled with the options menu and is only for rendering a preview mesh of the ball created and destroyed by the options menu.

ohhhh it looks so nice watching it roll around in pretty colors.  Grin

~tom | □³ | kRYSTLR
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3257 on: March 02, 2013, 10:32:09 PM »

Went through Apple's tedious achievement specification system and made 23 achievements for our upcoming iOS game. Glad that's over. Smiley

kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #3258 on: March 03, 2013, 11:52:50 AM »

LOL

I was tired like a week ago, tried to code seamlessly-loaded map grid. I coded up like additional 100 lines to an existing class and it was buggy, slow and not working properly actually.

Demotivated by that, after two days of trying, I deleted all those additional lines and said to myself: "This shit really deserves a 100% re-write. *SIGH*". I was too demotivated to pick that up till today.

I sat down. Looked at it. Wrote LITERALLY 6 lines and BAM. Fast, efficent, and fully working seamlessly-loaded map grid.

So happy that I got it done! World of opportunities, here I come!

Liosan
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3259 on: March 04, 2013, 01:46:52 PM »

I just uploaded a new version of my mini-app for Android, What The Flag. It's nothing fancy, but I'm double-happy since I actually managed to release something (it's been a while Smiley), and since Haxe+NME is really a cool toolkit Smiley Once I wrap up WTF I'll move on to some cooler project, which will make use of all that coolness.

Liosan

Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 279
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic