Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411514 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 01:49:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)The happy programmer room
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 279
Print
Author Topic: The happy programmer room  (Read 678654 times)
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3660 on: January 19, 2014, 10:22:36 AM »

I took it upon myself to start working on railslavegames's fantastic idea of fly AI for his Oculus Rift game Selfie. Unity. C#. Got nice-looking random movement going pretty quickly, and turning on Unity's collision proved to solve half the issue of flies landing in itself. Looking really cool already.

Bonus, LAZOR BATTL:

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3661 on: January 19, 2014, 09:37:50 PM »

Seems a little Verlet toy is becoming my "hello world" for languages these days. Haxe + HaxeFlixel + own integration/constraints/etc

Might make a grapple game if I get some spare time, but this is just for fun as it stands Smiley

Have a play here (requires flash, can't be bothered distributing anything else)

WASD + Mouse

OniWorld
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3662 on: January 21, 2014, 01:58:41 PM »

totally not game related at all

I wrote a crawler to scrape film data and links from the web:

« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 10:45:22 AM by OniWorld » Logged

R.D.
Level 2

Making a game about balls. Yepp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3663 on: January 26, 2014, 12:50:11 PM »

Thanks, now I got the music from star wars stuck in my head for days D: I like the idea of having this working with the Occulus Rift. I wished my university would invest in one so I can test them out in unity too.

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3664 on: January 26, 2014, 09:09:34 PM »

Got a nice scripting system built into my component based haxe framework (on top of flixel); can now register scripts to be called on a given even with arbitrary arguments, and most importantly don't have to do anything other than put the script where it belongs in the filesystem for it to work.

Scripts work as components and can extend their calling dictionary object quite completely - only thing that unfortunately doesn't work is calling scripts with bracket syntax, so there's a simple call(args) wrapper for that.

Now I just have to flesh out the components a little and I'll be on the road to building an example game for it in no time - so the rest of tonight is of course dedicated to KAG (haha).

sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #3665 on: January 29, 2014, 03:05:55 AM »

Wrote a bunch of base code for Flashpunk: https://github.com/jigsaw121/fp-base

I seem to write mostly the same things at the start of a project, so this'll make quick prototyping faster. The next time I'm at a game jam, I'll already be several hours in when it starts! Hopefully someone else will find use for it too.

What I'm particularly happy about is the scripting/closure magic with a high usefulness-to-effort ratio. Being able to spawn behaviours like "when(x){y}" or "always(x)", and have it work with no extra variables, really helps me focus on the actual game design. And making something like this only takes a couple of scripts now: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/75065952/fp-base.swf
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3666 on: January 30, 2014, 04:29:11 AM »

That's a good idea, applying constraints or rules like that. I'll try to incorporate some similar stuff into my own framework.

tiktokbob
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3667 on: January 30, 2014, 04:32:30 AM »

Yay!  My basic 2d combat engine is in a state of basicness.  I can now start to build the game around it and gradually add features as necessary.  (Yes, I'm using Wesnoth sprites as place-holders!)

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3668 on: January 30, 2014, 04:38:56 AM »

That sort of gameplay is not my cup of tea, but good job. Hand Thumbs Up Left

I just fixed a bug after hours of debugging and console-spamming. As always, the solution was slightly changing one line. The endorphins are now exploding out of me.

Thanks, now I got the music from star wars stuck in my head for days D: I like the idea of having this working with the Occulus Rift. I wished my university would invest in one so I can test them out in unity too.
:D I can't afford one myself, but my neighbour has one! He's a member here. I bet he's lurking around and reading this. Ninja

Noogai03
Level 6

WHOOPWHOOPWHOOPWHOOP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3669 on: February 01, 2014, 04:58:44 AM »

After briefly looking at Flixel and Flashpunk, I have seen the light and realised just how useful it is to have loads of logic in a central static class (eg FP in Flashpunk, FlxG in Flixel).

Why the hell did I not do this before?  Undecided

So long and thanks for all the pi
Will Vale
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3670 on: February 02, 2014, 03:38:36 AM »

I wrote a Premake5 plugin which generates android makefiles for ndk-build! It does nice clean out-of-source builds from the same definitions as the Visual Studio projects Smiley

Next time I get some spare time I'll look at generating the ant config files so I can produce the APKs automatically too.

Will
Will Vale
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3671 on: February 07, 2014, 02:42:54 AM »

Got my Premake extension working - it makes porting SDL2 apps to Android a bit less fiddly, although the manifest/Java glue generation is still pretty simplistic.

Available here: https://bitbucket.org/secint/premake-ndk
Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #3672 on: February 07, 2014, 06:41:02 AM »

Got my fake global illumination system working.
I have a bunch of light probes that render to cubemaps, which then get converted into spherical harmonic lighting coefficients.  The light probes themselves are connected via Delaunay Tetrahedralization which then lets me smoothly interpolate between probes based on an objects position.  I then use that information to create a faked ambient lighting term.

Next up is having the probes change based on dynamic lighting information.
anthnich
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3673 on: February 08, 2014, 08:20:14 AM »

I recently fixed a problem with my pathfinder. I was sorting my list of open nodes using a binary heap by pushing the lower-cost nodes downwards instead moving them up on the list. Such a stupid mistake, but it fixed all current problems I had with the system.

Been wrestling with pathfinder bugs since I wrote it and it now finally works ideally. Such a huge relief!

Turnover @ Steam
Code_Assassin
Level 5

freedom

View Profile
« Reply #3674 on: February 08, 2014, 12:33:11 PM »

fly ai

How. I need to know.
Will Vale
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3675 on: February 16, 2014, 04:02:50 AM »

I wrote a little scaler for displaying fixed-size game output in a wrong-size window with integral upsampling and linear downsampling (so if you're displaying e.g. 480p on 1080p it'll draw at 2x, less than 960p at 1x, etc.) It also remaps mouse cursor coords. Nothing special but it gets rid of some irritating game-specific code.

Had to work around the SDL resize event handling on Windows, which buffers up events rather than sending them straight away. I think this was also eating my paint events since fixing it got rid of some nasty white flashes in the GL window at startup Smiley

Will
Shadowspaz
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3676 on: February 17, 2014, 11:55:00 PM »

Just about finished writing an engine to render 2D worlds using tilesets in Flash. It also handles all hit detection and redraws graphics to position the player in front/behind certain objects properly. All I have left to do is allow for screen panning and map transition (Both will be pretty easy), and then I already know how I can tweak it to account for platformers, as well as top-down games.

Level design has never been this easy, and asset development is way smoother with this engine than what I was doing before. It's been a while since I haven't had stupid roadblocks, and now everything is just progressing so damn smoothly. I love it. :D

Also, FlashDevelop sure beats the hell out of using CS6. I'm glad you guys prompted me to make the switch.

Check out my devlog!
OniWorld
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3677 on: February 18, 2014, 10:01:26 AM »

Also, FlashDevelop sure beats the hell out of using CS6. I'm glad you guys prompted me to make the switch.

Indeed it does! I hate using the Flash IDE, I feel dirty even looking at the icon. That is the reason why people don't believe in Flash for games, hopefully we'll prove them wrong Wink
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 10:20:01 AM by OniWorld » Logged

Shadowspaz
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3678 on: February 18, 2014, 10:38:49 AM »

Indeed it does! I hate using the Flash IDE, I feel dirty even looking at the icon. That is the reason why people don't believe in Flash for games, hopefully we'll prove them wrong Wink

Haha, for now. I do plan on getting into C++ and/or Unity somewhat soon, though. I'm using Flash because it's the easiest for distribution, and I'd like to make a name for myself before I get working on large-scale, standalone games.

Check out my devlog!
Noogai03
Level 6

WHOOPWHOOPWHOOPWHOOP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3679 on: February 18, 2014, 12:26:22 PM »

I can't afford Flash CS[number here] so it really annoys me when people use it for tutorials...
Emanuele Feronato uses it for all her tutorials which sucks because A) it's expensive B) the trial is both a trial and MASSIVE C) They're really good tutorials

So long and thanks for all the pi
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 279
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic