Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 10:06:14 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)The happy programmer room
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 279
Print
Author Topic: The happy programmer room  (Read 678355 times)
Nitro Crate
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2009, 03:36:27 PM »

I've got a great idea on how to implement component based programming in C, and I'm excited to start coding it in. (The complete failure will be a great learning experience)  Evil
C ? I'm expecting to see you in the grumpy programmer room before long.

Coffee
How can you complete anything with such pessimism?

Anyways I've been lazying out of doing it, but I'm finally getting around to doing it now.
(Also, I'm picking up C at the same time.  :D I am an ambitious one.)
I started to become a little confused as to how I'd come around doing to doing this, but the discovery of pointers to functions has cleared everything up for me once again.  Smiley
increpare
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2009, 05:27:33 PM »

hmm...experienced an odd bug today.  I just fixed it, so I guess it should be happy, but I'm more..still perplexed. 

There was some collision code that was working fine on osx, but completely screwing itself up on xp.  Of all pieces of code, collision stuff is the stuff one tends not to worry about portability issues with.  The snippit looked like

if (blah(&x))
{
   player.x=x;
}

however, trying to cout the value of x (for debugging purposes) fixed everything

if (blah(&x))
{
    std::cout<<x;
    player.x=x;
}

This is not acceptable bugfix, needless to say.  Moving the code from another .cpp file to the main one (or rather, tossing the definition in the header file) fixed things.  So I should be happy, but I am still somewhat troubled by it...
joshg
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2009, 10:24:56 PM »

if (blah(&x))
{
   player.x=x;
}

however, trying to cout the value of x (for debugging purposes) fixed everything

if (blah(&x))
{
    std::cout<<x;
    player.x=x;
}

This is not acceptable bugfix, needless to say.  Moving the code from another .cpp file to the main one (or rather, tossing the definition in the header file) fixed things.  So I should be happy, but I am still somewhat troubled by it...

Nothing weird going on like multiple threads accessing the player object (or stuff in your conditional)?  Or some other kind of race condition sort of thing?

these are from an actual radio shack in the ghetto
increpare
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2009, 06:34:55 AM »

Nothing weird going on like multiple threads accessing the player object (or stuff in your conditional)?  Or some other kind of race condition sort of thing?
No threading at all.
J.G. Martins
Level 2

AKA anvilfolk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2009, 09:18:01 AM »

I think I've had this happen when I was using uninitialized variables or something like that... can't really remember. It's just one of those things... Do you reckon the problem might've been with &x and/or inside blah()?

Might also be worth cleaning the whole project and recompiling from scratch. Leftovers are BAD.

Gold is for the mistress -- silver for the maid --
Copper for the craftsman cunning at his trade.
"Good!" cried the Baron, sitting in his hall,
"But iron, cold iron, is the master of them all."
--- Rudyard Kipling
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2009, 09:35:12 PM »

Yeah, something that breaks inexplicably and starts working again by writing seemingly unrelated code sounds to me like either uninitialized variables or a buffer overrun of some kind.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
increpare
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2009, 11:00:30 PM »

Ah, wait, I think I have it now; I'm pretty sure it's because I incorrectly labelled the function with __attribute__((const)).  Can't say I'm much in the mood to change the code back to test out this hypothesis, though.
increpare
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2009, 07:54:10 AM »

I ... really think that BOOST_FOREACH is one of the most beautiful things I've seen done in C++; each time I have occasion to use it (not infrequently) it sets my heart a'flutter.
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2009, 09:56:23 AM »

Tried to use code inputs and srand to control the random generation of a puzzle I was generating, but for some reason it just wasn't working. So i put it away, went to bed, and the next morning it inexplicably started working, and it's been working ever since. Hey, I'm not going to complain.

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
Massena
Level 4

Satisfied.

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2009, 10:21:33 AM »

Just experimenting with evolving a picture from quads. Made me happy.  Smiley

mirosurabu
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2009, 11:48:19 AM »

Configured ClanLib for VS Express finally. Doh.
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2009, 12:15:39 PM »

Just experimenting with evolving a picture from quads. Made me happy.  Smiley
Did that start as the Mona Lisa or was it's target the Mona Lisa?

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
Massena
Level 4

Satisfied.

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2009, 02:34:01 PM »

Did that start as the Mona Lisa or was it's target the Mona Lisa?

It targeted Mona Lisa. Also, here is the first attempt  Grin

I messed up some comparison stuff  Shrug

Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2009, 06:13:14 PM »

I'm happy, because the very first time in my entire programming life, I'm coding something and it just works. OK, maybe not perfectly on the first try, there are still some game-breaking bugs and null references and stuff like that, but they're not of the motivational-killing "I just can't find or fix them" kind.

In other words, I haven't faced a problem I couldn't solve on my own yet with this project and I feel pretty confident it will stay that way, which makes me very happy Beer!

Also, I've finally managed to pick up a language and STICK with it. I've resisted countless temptations to pick something different (iPhone *wimper*) probably more interesting (or probably not) and decided to keep with the current language (which is AS3, by the way). And I intend to keep it that way until I've really mastered this one (and that is in my book when I can code down a good game in about a day without having to look at the documentation all the time).

I'm happy right now Grin
increpare
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2009, 06:36:27 PM »

I've finally found a reason to use boost::variants.  A spurious reason, but, a reason nonetheless.  Hurrah!
FrostedSentry
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2009, 11:07:55 PM »

I'm happy that I'm beginning to "get" Obj-C.  Not that it's difficult, just the whole [obj giggidy] looked strange. obj->giggidy()!

Also happy that I finished going through a new book! Beginning iPhone Development - Exploring the SDK

Let's see if I can make something useful fun

David McGraw ∴ Twitter
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2009, 11:05:42 AM »

My tool suite (for areas, 'sub-areas,' animated sprites, cutout-style animations and parallax backdrops) is basically all done (barring unseen, minor corrections in the future).

This makes me a happy programmer.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
mirosurabu
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2009, 11:31:44 AM »

I have written the pseudocode for simulating social aspect of concurrently running actors. Hooray!

Find a way to simulate behavior control between two actors and I will be super-happy. Grin
TeaAndBiscuits
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2009, 12:09:59 PM »

I've had a great weekend coding!

Got a safe Texture class up, TextureManager working, wrote my entity system to use my Sprites, sub-classed Entities into my AI Behaviour system, ported my AI Behaviour system from a 3D project I was working on so it can now be used with any base Entity type, added a couple support classes and methods like Log class (that tested my templated Singleton class) and openGL error support. Bit of everything really and it all works! Smiley Smiley Smiley

All this and managed to spend quality time with my girlfriend and see friends for a few beers.

Happy days  Smiley
increpare
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2009, 07:48:30 PM »

This isn't a current thing, but rather an anecdote that just popped into my head.  A lecturer at my old university said it maybe three years ago.

He said that, one day, his son (who's around eleven or twelve) came to him and said that he was interested in learning some programming.  The guy was pretty delighted, but very quickly found himself thinking very seriously about what language would, in fact, be best to teach his son, that would teach him as many different facets of programming as possible.

Can you think of what language he chose?

postscript

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 279
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic