Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:11:55 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)The happy programmer room
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 279
Print
Author Topic: The happy programmer room  (Read 672830 times)
Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #4280 on: May 07, 2016, 01:54:27 PM »

Got back from a conference I went to and one of the sessions I attended talked about Test Driven Development (TDD) in the C language. I was rather intrigued and decided to look up what kind of comparable testing tools Haxe had. Lo and behold, Haxe has a "haxe.unit" unit test package that pretty much adheres to the same concepts I observed at the conference. The presence of that package was news to me, and I was rather psyched! Already tried it out and it's been working great.
bittwyst
Level 1

Twitter: @bittwyst

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4281 on: May 16, 2016, 01:13:20 AM »

After pressing Command-Z (like Ctrl-Z, but on a mac) a few hundred times in a row, I decided it was time to set up version control. Feeling like a pro now...  Ninja

powly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4282 on: May 16, 2016, 04:21:15 AM »

After pressing Command-Z (like Ctrl-Z, but on a mac) a few hundred times in a row, I decided it was time to set up version control. Feeling like a pro now...  Ninja

Version control is pretty cool to have for several reasons.

I've been looking into D3D because I got pretty thoroughly frustrated with OpenGL. I'm kind of happy with how clean, sensible and non-driver-dependent it is. I'm also somewhat sad because I should've made the switch five years ago.
Polly
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #4283 on: May 16, 2016, 06:15:15 AM »

I've been looking into D3D because I got pretty thoroughly frustrated with OpenGL. I'm kind of happy with how clean, sensible and non-driver-dependent it is.

If you only care about Windows ( Phone ) & Xbox*, Direct3D is certainly a nice(r) alternative to OpenGL. However, if you're jumping ship in 2016 .. why not go with Vulkan instead?

*Windows 10 / Xbox One specifically when using DX12.
powly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4284 on: May 17, 2016, 02:55:03 AM »

If you only care about Windows ( Phone ) & Xbox*, Direct3D is certainly a nice(r) alternative to OpenGL. However, if you're jumping ship in 2016 .. why not go with Vulkan instead?

*Windows 10 / Xbox One specifically when using DX12.

For the longest time I thought I'd care about other platforms. However, in the past decade I've tried building my own code outside of Windows exactly once. So I'll definitely trade that for the superior toolchain.

Vulkan is exactly what I was waiting for until it got released. Then I saw some of the examples. I don't think it'll ever be worth the hassle for personal projects. Maybe with a thick enough wrapper so it looks like a higher level API -- but one where you can still go in an tune the details when necessary. As a completely new API, it's kind of bound to have initial problems and driver bugs. Moreover, the performance gains Vulkan offers will be negligible in most of my use cases since I tend to have only a few somewhat monolithic drawcalls per frame; my bottleneck is usually the actual GPU computation.

Most of this obviously applies to D3D12 as well, hence I'm currently on 11.1. Still a bit restrictive on the OS, I could probably lower it to 11.0 -- the only feature I'd really miss is the *SSetConstantBuffers1.
Sheepolution
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4285 on: May 19, 2016, 05:10:37 AM »

Nothing in particular, but I'm just happy with where I am today. 5 years ago I couldn't program shit, and now I'm working on my first big game. I still have those "I'm the worst programmer ever"-moments, but at least I'm a good worst-programmer-ever.

Don't ask me to do this 3 years ago:

Codimal
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4286 on: May 19, 2016, 12:40:44 PM »

Today I was sad because I haven't had new ideas for my game for a while, but I got around at doing the "boring" stuff, like fixing bugs and everything, so I'm happy with how today went!

stryfe
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4287 on: May 19, 2016, 02:56:18 PM »

Never thought I would ever touch multiplayer stuff. Today, I'm implementing my first client-server game and stuff seem to be going great! Smiley

Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4288 on: May 19, 2016, 03:04:54 PM »

Never thought I would ever touch multiplayer stuff. Today, I'm implementing my first client-server game and stuff seem to be going great! Smiley

Best of luck.

Before you get too far into it, implement simulated latency. This forces a number of issues that you may run into to the surface while you are still in a position to change how things work.

stryfe
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4289 on: May 19, 2016, 04:57:42 PM »

Best of luck.

Before you get too far into it, implement simulated latency. This forces a number of issues that you may run into to the surface while you are still in a position to change how things work.

Sure thing! I was thinking about this bit as being one of the main headaches I might have. I worked with mobile development and having a good user feedback to connection errors was really hard to develop. I imagine this is even harder.
Thanks for the tip!

Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4290 on: May 19, 2016, 06:09:34 PM »

I was thinking about this bit as being one of the main headaches I might have.

It is generally one of the more difficult issues to deal with. You have the most up-to-date information on the input available at each client, but there is a delay before you can propagate that information to the server and other clients, and no guarantee when it will arrive. Coming up with a decent solution with these limitations can be extremely challenging.

Thanks for the tip!

Not a problem.
Joj
Level 0

woh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4291 on: May 21, 2016, 05:06:22 AM »

I'm no programmer, so getting a dialogue scrolling text system working with just UE4's blueprint system was really motivating when it started working at 1am lol ofcourse no-one thinks it's cool because it's just text scrolling what's the big deal.

but yay most of the grunt works done and I can cross it out of my todo for now

powly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4292 on: May 22, 2016, 05:00:14 AM »

Text in general is pretty tedious to work with, always nice to be done with it Smiley

We released a 22k intro at the Simulaatio demoparty with couple of my friends and I'm very happy with how the everything turned out. Features additive GPU sound synth and path tracing.

A game with similar tech would be very cool, would just have to come up with an idea that works with such a limited amount of geometry..
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #4293 on: May 22, 2016, 09:11:51 PM »

I'm no programmer, so getting a dialogue scrolling text system working with just UE4's blueprint system was really motivating when it started working at 1am lol ofcourse no-one thinks it's cool because it's just text scrolling what's the big deal.

but yay most of the grunt works done and I can cross it out of my todo for now

Looking good!
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4294 on: May 23, 2016, 09:34:13 AM »

Nothing in particular, but I'm just happy with where I am today. 5 years ago I couldn't program shit, and now I'm working on my first big game. I still have those "I'm the worst programmer ever"-moments, but at least I'm a good worst-programmer-ever.

Don't ask me to do this 3 years ago:

Nice! Did you make that editor too?

JWki
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #4295 on: May 26, 2016, 06:54:50 AM »

This could as well have ended up as a grumpy post due to some silly mistake I made when implementing manifold generation for AABB collision (descriptive names for variables are important guys), however at 5.30 AM it finally clicked and this was the result:

Uses SAT for the collision detection so far, should rather do something Minkowski based because SAT has problems with fast moving objects and thin colliders. Done in C++ using DX11 for rendering and dear imgui for, well, the UI. Actually also uses imgui for the "sprites" because well it works.
Also showcases the fact that I always forget to turn of my mic when recording something.
Cheezmeister
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #4296 on: May 27, 2016, 02:20:53 PM »

Just discovered the vw and vh units for CSS3. Percentage of the client's viewport width and height, respectively.

So now I can do classy things with divs that precisely fill the screen (but still allow you to scroll past them).

෴Me෴ @chzmstr | www.luchenlabs.com ቒMadeቓ RA | Nextris | Chromathud   ᙍMakingᙌCheezus II (Devlog)
Joj
Level 0

woh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4297 on: May 29, 2016, 04:56:12 PM »

finished* it =D

*to my standards, i'll prob iron stuff out/add stuff later
Looking good!

Thankyou :^)

Sokafootball
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4298 on: June 01, 2016, 03:51:24 AM »

After 2 days i finally fixed my 'drop item' function in Game Maker for my inventory system!

YAY!!!
ferreiradaselva
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #4299 on: June 29, 2016, 12:09:42 AM »

"The happy programmer room" and "The grumpy old programmer room" are my favorite threads on Tig, and for the first time I will contribute.

I finally made my game engine work on Windows, now it's cross-platform! Works on Linux and Windows.

Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 279
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic