Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:02:54 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)The happy programmer room
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 279
Print
Author Topic: The happy programmer room  (Read 673088 times)
Mothil
Level 2

Mothil

View Profile
« Reply #4300 on: June 29, 2016, 01:54:30 PM »

Mhh, why haven't I been here yet!
Hi everybody. I consider myself a... (not sure if I want to use the word bad) programmer, but one thing that's for certain... I barely know what I'm doing. There's always time to learn, though.  Coffee

Gif: a small gif of my spawner script working after 9 hours of banging my head against the wall this other day. It's basically the perfect representation of feeling incredibly stupid but a wee bit smart at the same time.

Akiro: Android | IOS <3
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4301 on: July 13, 2016, 11:12:20 PM »

Implemnting UTF-8 decoding on a 28 years old system.

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4302 on: July 15, 2016, 05:48:47 AM »

Implemnting UTF-8 decoding on a 28 years old system.

What system? Judging from the screenshot the Sega Megadrive?

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4303 on: July 15, 2016, 02:49:00 PM »

Yep

Kind of sad that I find a 7.67MHz 68000 to cope with UTF-8 just fine yet there are still modern programs that can't deal with it =/ (incidentally, the real big problem with old systems is more the memory needed to support all of Unicode - this thing I made just parses UTF-8 and converts the few ranges it understands into its own internal charset)
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4304 on: July 16, 2016, 11:06:20 AM »

Compiled a console program written in C++14 to web using Emscripten. Yay! OpenGL graphics next.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4305 on: July 18, 2016, 12:08:31 PM »

Aaahaahhhh.

Took me more or less a day and a half to get it working, but finally I have a functional setup with CMake and C++14 for Android. Yesterday I got it working for OS X, iOS, Windows and Linux without too much trouble. But Android, wow.

Might have to write up a long blog post eventually so that the next poor soul doesn't have to spend all the time too, but here are some key points:

This SO answer is a good starting point.

• For proper C++14 support, standard NDK didn't work for me; I needed to use CrystaX (the Darwin download is the one for OS X)
  • Need a custom CMake toolchain, cmake-android, but not the original one, but rather this fork.
  • The info on that fork is falling horribly short: more/better info is found here and here.
  • Need this CMake module with a macro to create an APK.
  • CMake tests to check for C++14 supports will fail, yet a compiler flag will be set if 14 is requested, and will work...
  • The value ANDROID_NATIVE_API_LEVEL that shows up after configuring using android-cmake doesn't work; set ANDROID_API_LEVEL instead.
  • The compiler flag -fno-rtti as suggested by the SO answer to add disables dynamic_cast, so might have to remove that.
  • Use gnustl_static for value ANDROID_STL but add the llvm-libc++ to include_directories() instead, or <codecvt> can't be found.
  • If you want to make an APK using Apk.cmake's android_create_apk() you need to have an Android emulator running or a device connected.
  • You need to have ant installed. I installed it through Homebrew with the command homebrew install ant
  • Don't forget to add JDK to the environment variable JAVA_HOME. On my computer, like so: export JAVA_HOME=/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_92.jdk/Contents/Home
  • May or may not need to add its bin subdirectory to PATH as well: export PATH=$PATH:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_92.jdk/Contents/Home/bin

Probably more stuff I forgot already...

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4306 on: July 20, 2016, 07:15:46 AM »

A CMake-generated application written in C++14 using SDL2 is now rendering into an OpenGL context in a browser! Gomez

So this was actually easier than doing the same for Android in 2016... Amazing.

The only thing that I really got stuck on was that I had missed this detail about main loops in Emscripten. You can't just do it yourself like in a regular application, or the browser will just freeze and you'll never see anything rendered. Instead you need to tell Emscripten what function to call every frame and it'll make sure it works properly in the browser. It took me a while to find out about this, so I thought something much more complicated was the problem.

JWki
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #4307 on: July 20, 2016, 09:11:26 AM »

Nifty.
zilluss
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4308 on: July 20, 2016, 01:28:12 PM »

Do you know how you will go about scripting (if so). It seems weird to run a script engine in JavaScript, but JS (and languages that compile to it) seem unsuitable for gamedev to me.

@zilluss | Devlog  Hand Point Right
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4309 on: July 21, 2016, 08:09:10 AM »

This is supposedly faster than regular JS anyway (look up Asm.js), especially in some browsers. Don't know how much scripting will impact performance, but there's nothing saying I have to use a script language at all if I don't want to. Could do it all in C++. But will try the engine's AngelScript stuff out eventually and see. I mostly set this up because it's nice to have working anyway; not because I think I'll actually be deploying my bigger games for web.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 08:16:42 AM by Prinsessa » Logged

Cheezmeister
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #4310 on: July 21, 2016, 07:39:08 PM »

I'd guess embedding another scripting language in JS (asm or otherwise) will be pretty slow, but it's just that: a guess.

I'm wondering though if it's feasible to make an isomorphic JS-scripted game that uses v8 or something when it's running native, but then calls your scripts directly from the browser.

Probably the glue code would be quite hairy...but I dunno ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

෴Me෴ @chzmstr | www.luchenlabs.com ቒMadeቓ RA | Nextris | Chromathud   ᙍMakingᙌCheezus II (Devlog)
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4311 on: July 22, 2016, 06:33:38 AM »

My LD games made in Unity with no thoughts about optimisation or anything, usually with fairly high-res graphics, compiled C# > C++ > JS (using Emscripten too) run just fine in a browser, so it really is a lot better than one might believe. It's rather amazing.

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4312 on: July 23, 2016, 09:11:32 AM »

Congrats on getting the cmake build up and running princessa Smiley

Coincidentally, I'm about to do a bit of a study over the next couple weeks of various build systems. Particularly ones that leverage Roslyn. So far I've started using FAKE. Haven't had enough time to really properly evaluate it but so far I'm absolutely loving it. I'm a happy programmer right now.

Functional languages seem to really fit nicely with build systems. Also since the scripts are fragments of .net languages you can debug them like you could programming code.

That said I'm sure I'll hit some walls in the near future though. There's always SOMETHING :D

EDIT : Princessa. I think your website is down (The one listed in your profile)

thekosmonaut
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4313 on: July 24, 2016, 02:09:58 AM »

There was an artwork of some space soldiers with skull holograms on their visors. I loved the idea and wrote a simple shader for it. Not polished but nice i think

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4314 on: July 24, 2016, 12:36:44 PM »

Cool! and creepy  Shocked

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4315 on: July 26, 2016, 12:19:45 PM »

EDIT : Princessa. I think your website is down (The one listed in your profile)
Yeah, it's been for like more than a year. No money. :c

Cheezmeister
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #4316 on: July 26, 2016, 06:54:29 PM »

I put together (half of) my Infinity Ergodox, and it works! It was my first time soldering anything so that was actually kinda surprising.

Yeah, it's been for like more than a year. No money. :c

Are Swedish domains more expensive than .coms and such? My domain costs less than half a pizza each year. There's GitHub pages et. al. if you don't want to pay for hosting.

෴Me෴ @chzmstr | www.luchenlabs.com ቒMadeቓ RA | Nextris | Chromathud   ᙍMakingᙌCheezus II (Devlog)
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4317 on: July 27, 2016, 06:42:39 AM »

It's not horribly expensive for what it is (and it's not the domain name that's the main cost, but the web hosting itself), but with two people living together and neither having a job for a long while, every penny had to be saved. The crisis is over for now, but I don't feel secure enough to have too many monthly payments when I could be saving money instead, just in case. I'll know sometime next month whether I can keep my currently temporary job, and so will my partner, who managed to find something around the same time. Maybe after that we'll feel more safe economically.

My website was basically a portfolio, and since I do web work too, it was pretty fundamental that it was a site I built myself, so a GitHub page wouldn't really be suitable, but that's a good suggestion otherwise, so thanks. And the ironic thing of course is that when I need a portfolio the most (when looking for a job) I don't have the money to keep it online, and when I do have the money (after getting a job) I don't need it any more. q_q

Average Software
Level 10

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4318 on: July 29, 2016, 03:10:29 PM »

I got those little progress bars that you see in the taskbar icons on Windows Vista+ working.  It was surprisingly easy.

What would John Carmack do?
bauer
Level 1

Codes games & makes music

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4319 on: August 03, 2016, 11:48:18 AM »

It's not horribly expensive for what it is (and it's not the domain name that's the main cost, but the web hosting itself), but with two people living together and neither having a job for a long while, every penny had to be saved. The crisis is over for now, but I don't feel secure enough to have too many monthly payments when I could be saving money instead, just in case. I'll know sometime next month whether I can keep my currently temporary job, and so will my partner, who managed to find something around the same time. Maybe after that we'll feel more safe economically.

My website was basically a portfolio, and since I do web work too, it was pretty fundamental that it was a site I built myself, so a GitHub page wouldn't really be suitable, but that's a good suggestion otherwise, so thanks. And the ironic thing of course is that when I need a portfolio the most (when looking for a job) I don't have the money to keep it online, and when I do have the money (after getting a job) I don't need it any more. q_q

Hey Prinsessa, you know you can host your site on Dropbox right? I do it for my personal webpage, so you only need to pay the yearly (~100sek) cost for the domain. Not sure what domain host you're using but with Loopia its just a simple redirect basically. And if you can't afford the domain name you can just throw around your Dropbox link to the index.html file.
 Beer!

Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 279
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic