Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 11:07:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)The happy programmer room
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 279
Print
Author Topic: The happy programmer room  (Read 678363 times)
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4320 on: August 03, 2016, 12:45:54 PM »

Hey Prinsessa, you know you can host your site on Dropbox right? I do it for my personal webpage, so you only need to pay the yearly (~100sek) cost for the domain. Not sure what domain host you're using but with Loopia its just a simple redirect basically. And if you can't afford the domain name you can just throw around your Dropbox link to the index.html file.
 Beer!
My Dropbox has been full for years. Sad

bauer
Level 1

Codes games & makes music

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4321 on: August 08, 2016, 03:11:52 AM »

Hey Prinsessa, you know you can host your site on Dropbox right? I do it for my personal webpage, so you only need to pay the yearly (~100sek) cost for the domain. Not sure what domain host you're using but with Loopia its just a simple redirect basically. And if you can't afford the domain name you can just throw around your Dropbox link to the index.html file.
 Beer!
My Dropbox has been full for years. Sad

Then you need to rethink your priorities or get a second Dropbox account! Beer!

eka
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4322 on: August 08, 2016, 07:59:05 AM »

It's not horribly expensive for what it is (and it's not the domain name that's the main cost, but the web hosting itself), but with two people living together and neither having a job for a long while, every penny had to be saved. The crisis is over for now, but I don't feel secure enough to have too many monthly payments when I could be saving money instead, just in case. I'll know sometime next month whether I can keep my currently temporary job, and so will my partner, who managed to find something around the same time. Maybe after that we'll feel more safe economically.

My website was basically a portfolio, and since I do web work too, it was pretty fundamental that it was a site I built myself, so a GitHub page wouldn't really be suitable, but that's a good suggestion otherwise, so thanks. And the ironic thing of course is that when I need a portfolio the most (when looking for a job) I don't have the money to keep it online, and when I do have the money (after getting a job) I don't need it any more. q_q

Beer!

Or you can use github pages for free https://pages.github.com/.
powly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4323 on: August 25, 2016, 07:45:04 AM »

oh man oh man oh man
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4324 on: August 25, 2016, 01:24:46 PM »

Got some neat stuff on fur rendering using the shell technique (like this) a while ago. Tonight I decided to try and implement it (in Unity) and I actually managed to do it without too much work even tho I've barely written shaders in Unity still! Gomez

« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 02:23:20 PM by Prinsessa » Logged

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #4325 on: August 26, 2016, 04:58:49 AM »

While we're on the topic of rendering cool stuff, I found a thing for fast drawing lines with AA.
http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/199525/Drawing-nearly-perfect-D-line-segments-in-OpenGL

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4326 on: August 26, 2016, 05:09:38 AM »

While we're on the topic of rendering cool stuff, I found a thing for fast drawing lines with AA.
http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/199525/Drawing-nearly-perfect-D-line-segments-in-OpenGL
Ooooh.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4327 on: August 26, 2016, 02:28:39 PM »

Continuation: a little happy, a little grumpy.

Got light and shadows working, which is cool, because I've never done that in a Unity shader before: happy.

Apparently stumbled upon a well-known problem with the Unity pipeline: transparent shaders can't receive shadows, so it's either receive and have an ugly cutout instead, or have nice transparency but not receiving shadows. Grumpy!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #4328 on: September 03, 2016, 04:06:46 PM »

That feeling when you fix an issue that was driving you mad for months... In my case camera wasn't resetting properly at the start of the level as to be behind player's character, which you can see in predemo #1 of Computer Virus Simulator as after starting the level (the thing with blue pillars is playable main menu where you need to go to the room at the far edge of game area and "press" button under number 4) the camera points sideways.

Be a computer virus!

I cannot C well, so I stick with simpler languages.

There are no impossible things, there is only lack of skill.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4329 on: September 04, 2016, 12:59:13 PM »

Went through Unity's networking tutorial, then expanded on this by trying out the lobby functionality. It's ridiculous how easy it is to get up and running so far. Getting really motivated to try and convert our last LD multiplayer entry to a networked and brushed up version now. We'll see what happens! Gomez

Oh, forgot to mention about two or so weeks back that I ordered and got the book Effective modern C++, and I've read some 50 pages so far. Already learned stuff I didn't know, and got reminded about stuff I had forgotten, so it's a great read so far!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 01:23:53 PM by Prinsessa » Logged

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4330 on: September 06, 2016, 04:14:38 PM »

I've read that book 3 times and feel like I still need to read it another 3.  Huh?

GSGBen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4331 on: September 06, 2016, 05:15:18 PM »

Had an issue in a UE4.9 project that would crash it on startup, causing the time to open a project to be anywhere from a 2 minutes to an hour. Updated it to 4.13, fixed up all the code changes, and now no crash! Feels so good knowing that I've saved myself days and days of time over the rest of the life of this project.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4332 on: September 08, 2016, 09:23:56 AM »

Watched through this great YT channel on visual stuff in Unity yesterday, and learned a couple of new techniques and tricks for writing shaders that I didn't know before, so today I tried to do something on my own with that knowledge, rather than copying stuff from the channel, and ended up trying some stuff that was not on the channel as well. Result: water!

GSGBen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4333 on: September 08, 2016, 01:18:24 PM »

Nice! it's got that early 2000s white texture I like a lot.

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4334 on: September 08, 2016, 05:46:26 PM »

Watched through this great YT channel on visual stuff in Unity yesterday, and learned a couple of new techniques and tricks for writing shaders that I didn't know before, so today I tried to do something on my own with that knowledge, rather than copying stuff from the channel, and ended up trying some stuff that was not on the channel as well. Result: water!

Very pretty!

powly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4335 on: September 08, 2016, 10:38:47 PM »

Neat water! Is the texture procedural and how do you get the distance to shore (a heightmap?)

Meanwhile in my project, tracing of rays is happening. Still needs to be somewhat faster tho.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4336 on: September 09, 2016, 03:22:09 AM »

Nice! it's got that early 2000s white texture I like a lot.
Not at all inspired by Wind Waker, I promise! Ninja

Very pretty!
Thanks! I didn't actually put too much effort into the actual graphics (especially easy to notice with the UV seams on the islands; I just "smart unwrapped" the whole thing in two seconds in Blender to have something in there at all), but focused on achieving each individual shader effect (water displacement, edge around islands, reflection and so on), so I could probably make it look a lot nicer if I had an actual design to go by, so I'm positively excited about the possibilities!

Neat water!
Coffee

Is the texture procedural?
I believe it was originally. Wink I downloaded it from a website describing how to render caustics, and this was one of its presented results, but I didn't make it (other than editing it in GIMP a bit and assigning the blue), nor did my code generate it.

How do you get the distance to shore (a heightmap?)
I render the water after the rest of the geometry and simply read the depth buffer at that point and compare the stored depth to the depth of the current fragment; the closer they are, the whiter I render the fragment, until eventually the effect tapers off and no whiteness is applied. If nothing has written to the depth buffer at the same position, the difference will be too great for the effect to get applied.

Meanwhile in my project, tracing of rays is happening.
Cool! I've only briefly read up on that sort of stuff. Can't say I understand it very well. Luckily most games get away with some variation on N•L lighting. Tongue

Still needs to be somewhat faster tho.
I suppose that's a bigger issue than understanding the principles themselves, making it run fast?

powly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4337 on: September 09, 2016, 05:03:45 AM »

Ah, clever!

Yeah ray tracing is still kind of not feasible, screen-space tracing is usually the number one option for realtime. General ray tracing requires generating some sort of an acceleration structure and even after that it's kinda slow. My current test is just replacing the rasterizer with the tracer so I'm shooting relatively coherent camera rays and it still takes about 10ms for one ray per pixel -- I might be able to do perfect specular reflections or something with this performance but I need to improve by a lot. Especially if I wanted to shoot more randomly diverging rays.

The optimization is difficult-ish, but at least I know what I'm doing instead of hunting for some corner case bug. I spent over a year (on and off) on just radix sorting for the tree generation, not sure if I want to optimize every part that exhaustively :D I do have some ideas on what to improve, fingers crossed that it all works out nicely.
standardcombo
Level 8

><)))°>

View Profile
« Reply #4338 on: September 14, 2016, 07:58:32 PM »

Went through Unity's networking tutorial, then expanded on this by trying out the lobby functionality. It's ridiculous how easy it is to get up and running so far. Getting really motivated to try and convert our last LD multiplayer entry to a networked and brushed up version now. We'll see what happens! Gomez

Oh, forgot to mention about two or so weeks back that I ordered and got the book Effective modern C++, and I've read some 50 pages so far. Already learned stuff I didn't know, and got reminded about stuff I had forgotten, so it's a great read so far!

I've worked a ton with uNet so if you have any troubles shoot me a message. There's certainly a learning curve when it comes to real-time multiplayer action game like the hockey game you made, but it's great to have a target project like that to set your goals straight.

Guessy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4339 on: September 18, 2016, 05:07:33 AM »

So I've been writing a custom Unity tilemap editor for a few weeks now. Yes, yes, it's been done, but this one's a little different; it's tile map for sprites, and works in isometric view. Specifically, it allows the size of a tile grid and the size of a tile sprite need not match up, as is very, very useful for isometric maps.

It even comes with simple, automatic sorting simply by abusing the z-axis, which you can fiddle with on a per-sprite basis:

(yes there is a small gap at the base of the wall; that's actually meant to be there as a degree of leeway when making corner sprites. Probably don't actually need it now but it was an artefact of trying to use TILED for this).

Features include layers, chunks, multiple tilesets, a small toolbox (paint, line, rect, erase) and not much else because it's only been a few weeks heh. So it still needs some smoothing of the rough edges and quality-of-life things like shortcuts and so on.

Next task: abuse cameras and rendertargets to emulate the old 'render out a 3D model' approach to making isometric character sprites, but at runtime (that's why the random headless character is there, if you were wondering).
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 279
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic