Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 08:46:09 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)The happy programmer room
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 279
Print
Author Topic: The happy programmer room  (Read 673078 times)
pturecki
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4420 on: October 05, 2016, 12:53:53 AM »

Quote from: standardcombo
In modern OS and engines it's a drag to have to sometimes go into assembly to figure out bugs... I avoid that shit like the plague.
I haven't inspected assembly for bugs for 10 years or so. But when I will have a bit of time I want to rewrite some critical functions into assembler and see if it pays off Wink

Quote from: Average Software
My Atari project(s) are 100% assembly.  I don't see any point in doing homebrew for old consoles in anything but assembly.
This is understandable for old computers. May I ask how many lines of code does your game have? Did you make it using original (old) software or some modern tools / emulators?

Average Software
Level 10

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4421 on: October 05, 2016, 03:44:42 AM »

This is understandable for old computers. May I ask how many lines of code does your game have?

Somewhere around 10,000.

Did you make it using original (old) software or some modern tools / emulators?

Depends on if you consider vim and dasm to be modern or not.  I used an emulator for development, but I also have a real console and a cartridge I can load for testing on real hardware.

What would John Carmack do?
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4422 on: October 05, 2016, 09:45:59 AM »

One place assembly comes in real handy in modern development is when you have a crash dump with no symbols. There's often a chance you can figure out where the crash occurred from the assembly.

pturecki
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4423 on: October 05, 2016, 01:08:15 PM »

Quote from: Average Software"
Somewhere around 10,000.
Nice. I think it's rather not much (for a game in assembler).

Quote from: InfiniteStateMachine
One place assembly comes in real handy in modern development is when you have a crash dump with no symbols.
Indeed You have right, I have forgotten about this (also didn't happen to me for a long time).

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4424 on: October 06, 2016, 05:11:20 AM »

Hah. It is possible to turn π into a compile-time calculated expression (something like constexpr double pi() { return std::acos(-1.0f); }) in modern C++ (tho std::acos() and family are apparently only defined as constexpr in GCC?). Perhaps not quite so necessary, but still a cool tidbit. Tongue I guess it would work well with the templated Boost versions, that go pi<T>() tho.

Actual question that led me to this info, tho: does modern STL have a π and so on? M_PI is so ugly. Something like std::pi()..? And a τ in the same place? Would be awfully ugly to have one "official" π and one custom τ and use different syntax or naming convention or namespaces to access each. It seems ridiculous to have to define these things manually in 2016 in such a massively used language.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 05:17:35 AM by Prinsessa » Logged

Average Software
Level 10

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4425 on: October 06, 2016, 03:12:54 PM »

Hah. It is possible to turn π into a compile-time calculated expression (something like constexpr double pi() { return std::acos(-1.0f); }) in modern C++ (tho std::acos() and family are apparently only defined as constexpr in GCC?). Perhaps not quite so necessary, but still a cool tidbit. Tongue I guess it would work well with the templated Boost versions, that go pi<T>() tho.

Actual question that led me to this info, tho: does modern STL have a π and so on? M_PI is so ugly. Something like std::pi()..? And a τ in the same place? Would be awfully ugly to have one "official" π and one custom τ and use different syntax or naming convention or namespaces to access each. It seems ridiculous to have to define these things manually in 2016 in such a massively used language.

I would love to see C++ do what Ada did and allow unicode identifiers.  In Ada you can just use the symbol π directly in your code.  Well, Ada.Numerics.π, but you could shorten it to just π with the appropriate inclusion directives.

What would John Carmack do?
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4426 on: October 07, 2016, 12:26:13 AM »

I would love to see C++ do what Ada did and allow unicode identifiers.  In Ada you can just use the symbol π directly in your code.  Well, Ada.Numerics.π, but you could shorten it to just π with the appropriate inclusion directives.
This compiles on LLVM for me: double π{std::acos(-1.0)}; Hand Thumbs Up Right

Wouldn't have anything against that either, but people who don't know how to type these symbols would probably want aliases as well. Tongue

Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #4427 on: October 12, 2016, 09:36:57 AM »

Had a simple rectangle collision system going that was sputtering around 30-40 objects. I was a bit flabberghasted because I couldn't imagine why something so simple (literally checking for intersections and storing them off) was causing me to lag so hard. Well, I'm using a component system and I have a bounding box component. As it turns out, when I checked an entity for this component, I went ahead and ran collisions not only for it but the entire game. In effect, I was calling game-wide physics 30-40 times per frame.

Cheesy
Cheezmeister
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #4428 on: October 16, 2016, 07:02:01 AM »

Code:
[quote]M_PI is so ugly. Something like std::pi()..?[/quote]

Wait, are you serious? You find the latter less ugly? I get that beauty is subjective, but...really?

Either way, I would be very happy if the unicode char [code single]π
just evaluated to 3.14159...

Perhaps one day.

෴Me෴ @chzmstr | www.luchenlabs.com ቒMadeቓ RA | Nextris | Chromathud   ᙍMakingᙌCheezus II (Devlog)
standardcombo
Level 8

><)))°>

View Profile
« Reply #4429 on: October 18, 2016, 08:33:08 PM »

You can define it in some languages, no?

Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4430 on: October 19, 2016, 04:46:59 AM »

Sure, many modern languages use unicode for their source files.

In Python 3.6 you can do:

Code:
import math
τ = math.tau
print(τ)

edit: or simply...

Code:
from math import tau as τ
print(τ)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 05:00:10 AM by Dacke » Logged

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
standardcombo
Level 8

><)))°>

View Profile
« Reply #4431 on: October 21, 2016, 04:34:43 AM »

What do you get when you teach a Sicilian gangster Objective-C?

shellbot
« Reply #4432 on: October 29, 2016, 12:27:00 AM »

Getting ready to put my game framework on github.
Getting real excited Corny Laugh

Don't care if it's crap and nobody uses it, I've been using it to develop my games for a while and any feedback is going to be awesome. It's like sending my baby to kindergarten
GSGBen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4433 on: October 29, 2016, 03:15:01 AM »

Don't care if it's crap and nobody uses it, I've been using it to develop my games for a while and any feedback is going to be awesome. It's like sending my baby to kindergarten

I imagine that having your code public would really push you to write elegantly. Mine only used by me, so it's filled with "nobody must ever see this" code.

Kyuugatsu
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4434 on: October 30, 2016, 12:17:54 AM »

I imagine that having your code public would really push you to write elegantly. Mine only used by me, so it's filled with "nobody must ever see this" code.

The difference between a pro gamedev and an amateur gamedev is that...the amateur writes better code.

Things are a bit different for an engine though...

standardcombo
Level 8

><)))°>

View Profile
« Reply #4435 on: October 30, 2016, 01:46:05 AM »

Funny. But for real, "Better" is relative. I write much better code now than I ever did before. Better to me means how quickly i can make something that is still easy to maintain.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #4436 on: October 30, 2016, 09:30:05 AM »

I couldn't find drawing soft to do aniso map easily, I use blitz3D to make my own, I made it barebone to not feature creep (yet!).

I'm also massievely please with how blitz3D don't take 1mn to launch or compile, it allow me to code at teh speed of thinking.
I also like how it's dirt simple and have no real data structure:
- array are global
- no list
It force you to really think through if you need something, it force you to plan
It's supposedly 10 times slower than c++, so noticing delay really force you, unconsciously, to keep things simpler.
It's fast, readable and easy enough to code than I can type while thinking without making elaborate schematics on paper.
It's not compatible or easily portable, so it guarantee that any prototype code made with it will not be ship at all.
The doc is easily accessible and sorted, no need to open another windows, example code run directly without copy paste.
It's design for game, so a lot of default set up anticipate hassle you would have.
It just fucking work.

Tears of Joy

I Rike blitz3D

Kyuugatsu
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4437 on: October 30, 2016, 09:32:47 AM »

Funny. But for real, "Better" is relative. I write much better code now than I ever did before. Better to me means how quickly i can make something that is still easy to maintain.

You're right. I was mostly making a joke, but a lot of indie devs get bogged down in the tech instead of refining their gameplay.

JWki
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #4438 on: November 09, 2016, 02:50:24 PM »

Whee, tech.
So, for my thesis I have to write a webtool for visualization and debugging of gcode. I really really don't like using web languages so Emscripten to the rescue. Porting my desktop prototype to Emscripten took about a days work so thats good. WebGL is being a bitch sometimes - I can only enjoy OpenGL 4.5 anymore really - but being able to at least work in C++ greatly increases my productivity.
standardcombo
Level 8

><)))°>

View Profile
« Reply #4439 on: November 10, 2016, 10:57:59 PM »

Been toying with PlayCanvas for web stuff. I like it.

Also really dislike web languages.

Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 279
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic