Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 12:10:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)The happy programmer room
Pages: 1 ... 236 237 [238] 239 240 ... 279
Print
Author Topic: The happy programmer room  (Read 673114 times)
Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #4740 on: May 02, 2017, 08:11:54 AM »

Wow, is everybody making game engines in here? Tongue
JWki
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #4741 on: May 02, 2017, 08:36:10 AM »

Most fun you can have as a programmer!
Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #4742 on: May 02, 2017, 11:21:33 AM »

So I've put off learning how to do file system stuff in Haxe for awhile now. As it were, it was actually stupid easy. I expected this to be an all-day affair learning the ins-and-outs of file system magic; instead, I just got basic options and game data saving up in roughly in hour I'd say.

This is why I like Haxe so much. Its so stupid easy to use and the hoop jumping seems to be kept to a minimum.  Hand Shake Left Grin Hand Shake Right
shellbot
« Reply #4743 on: May 03, 2017, 05:07:20 AM »

Most fun you can have as a programmer!

Strongly agree. I'm not very good at game development but I'm good at game programming (there's a big difference)
ferreiradaselva
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #4744 on: May 05, 2017, 09:06:03 AM »

Behold, the big brush using easing function.

I've implemented an "automatic brush" (doesn't use a preexisting image, instead make the circle at runtime) that uses one of the known easing function (http://easings.net/). I've added also a variable to increase the "hardness" of the brush.

It's quite fast, but with the multithread implementation it will be even better. I will make the threads draw separated regions of the brush (e.g., top-left, top-right, buttom-left, bottom-right).

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #4745 on: May 05, 2017, 09:47:10 AM »

What program is this?

ferreiradaselva
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #4746 on: May 05, 2017, 04:59:07 PM »

It's a painting program I'm making (so far, only targeting Linux).

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4747 on: May 05, 2017, 05:18:55 PM »

Looking great I might add Smiley

DrDog
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4748 on: May 06, 2017, 08:57:31 AM »

Just finished a game so now I am working on an ESports name generator in NodeJS.
NielsBross
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4749 on: May 06, 2017, 12:28:32 PM »

Just finished a game so now I am working on an ESports name generator in NodeJS.

Name generation in what sense?
What's the game you've been making, if you feel like sharing? Smiley

ferreiradaselva
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #4750 on: May 10, 2017, 05:49:27 PM »

I've been thinking about the idea of adding a Gtk GUI to my C game engine, like Godot, and include a minimalist "script" language. But, instead of interpreting the language, when building the game, the script language would be converted to C and compiled by GCC/MinGW.

JWki
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #4751 on: May 12, 2017, 08:25:14 AM »

I've been thinking about the idea of adding a Gtk GUI to my C game engine, like Godot, and include a minimalist "script" language. But, instead of interpreting the language, when building the game, the script language would be converted to C and compiled by GCC/MinGW.

Do it. Def. a fun and useful thing to have.

Also, I'm trying out another GUI framework - dear imgui is great, but this also looks nice

PROBABLY less mature than dear imgui but with more options for styling and stuff it seems. Not that that's really important for tools UI but it also has more explicit layouting - unless I just haven't found that in dear imgui yet. Also it's ansci C and a single header with zero dependencies. Going to try that out for a bit and see how nice it is when using it.
qMopey
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4752 on: May 12, 2017, 09:22:27 AM »

Well post a link to it  Waaagh!
Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #4753 on: May 12, 2017, 09:37:18 AM »

Also, I'm trying out another GUI framework - dear imgui is great, but this also looks nice

PROBABLY less mature than dear imgui but with more options for styling and stuff it seems. Not that that's really important for tools UI but it also has more explicit layouting - unless I just haven't found that in dear imgui yet. Also it's ansci C and a single header with zero dependencies. Going to try that out for a bit and see how nice it is when using it.
Since everyone has been posting about their game engines, I'll make a confession: over the years I've had an interest in developing a homemade UI framework. Granted I haven't tried many of the existing libraries out there, but that's partially because I'm STUBBORN and like having full control. Also, it sounds like a fun challenge to make one, what with all the moving parts you have to account for.  Hand Shake Left Huh? Hand Shake Right
JWki
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #4754 on: May 12, 2017, 12:59:11 PM »

Well post a link to it  Waaagh!

Ah right!
https://github.com/vurtun/nuklear
JWki
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #4755 on: May 25, 2017, 01:34:50 AM »

Following up on this, I'm back to dear imgui. I'm sure Nuklear is very nice and it's just a matter of habit but the API felt comparatively clunky to me - and first thing I tried was something that required being able to push/pop IDs for a number of controls and I couldn't find a way to do it in an amount of time that I didn't find annoying so I switched back. The major advantage of Nuklear was more explicit layout control and I'm probably just going to build some similar systems on top of dear imgui now. I'm just way more productive with dear imgui already so it makes no sense for me to not stay with it.
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4756 on: May 25, 2017, 07:11:00 PM »

Thanks for the review. I've been considering trying nuklear for my next project but have been thinking that considering I'm already comfortable with imgui then maybe I'm not spending my time optimally trying another new thing.

JWki
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #4757 on: May 25, 2017, 11:22:11 PM »

Thanks for the review. I've been considering trying nuklear for my next project but have been thinking that considering I'm already comfortable with imgui then maybe I'm not spending my time optimally trying another new thing.

Yeah I feel like with dear imgui I'm just crazy productive doing rapid development and I don't want to trade that in for a nicer default look and some layouting that can be added on top in a few hours. This is me still working in c++ though - for a pure c project I'd probably give nuklear a go.
ZebraInFlames
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4758 on: June 03, 2017, 02:17:28 AM »

Even though that's close to the hello world of fractals on GPUs, I'm somewhat happy with what I got so far Wink

It's been hard to focus on my game projects recently, so just for fun, I decided to do some shader programming again.
Eggy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4759 on: June 07, 2017, 11:39:39 AM »

Ok, complete beginner programmer here. I've recently started dabbling with C/C++ and, for practice, I made several console apps that do different things (not all were successfully compiled into what I want though because those seem to entail more complex stuff).
And a day or so ago I decided to take it to the next level and give a try at Allegro; setting it up was a pain (apparently, installing the devpak into Dev-C++ and trying to include the library wasn't enough to recognize the included header file(s) as existent), but I did it thanks to instructions for MinGW Allegro 4.2 which I guess I'll have to work with rather than with Allegro 5. For a start I've been attempting to get a bitmap screen to work and, through referring to the manual and two tutorials that cover the Allegro I use (one of which is on these very forums) and some trial and error, I've managed to successfully compile a fully functional program that draws a bitmap over another one (complete with transparency) and runs until you hit the escape button. Now the only thing left is to figure out how to make the cursor not flicker without also having the side effect of the program crashing when I hit the escape button.
Hey, it may not be some huge feat, but for a person who only recently began programming, this is a big step forward towards more complex programming Toast Left Grin
Pages: 1 ... 236 237 [238] 239 240 ... 279
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic