Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 08:36:14 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)The happy programmer room
Pages: 1 ... 259 260 [261] 262 263 ... 279
Print
Author Topic: The happy programmer room  (Read 678593 times)
qMopey
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5200 on: November 28, 2017, 01:57:25 PM »

What is the unload issue?
popawheelie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5201 on: November 28, 2017, 02:21:34 PM »

What is the unload issue?

The problem occurs when unloading the LibTIFF dll within a process. MS Windows prevents it from unloading if the process it was running in continues. It will only unload if the host process is killed.

There was something written about the problem, but no longer remember where I read it. But it seems Im not the only one who's experienced it and there was no solution.

I recall it having something to do with the MS .NET framework which LibTiff was written in.

JWki
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #5202 on: November 29, 2017, 12:21:57 AM »

Having runtime shader reloading is great.

Like.

Super great.

Modern graphics APIs make this a bit more complex than it used to be in OpenGL though.
ferreiradaselva
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #5203 on: November 29, 2017, 01:50:20 PM »

Interpolation between orhographic and perspective projection. I'm going to use a fixed value of interpolation for my game. Also had to make a lot of trickery to reduce the deformity of the plat planes in the 3D view.

The little ghost guy is a placeholder, bc I'm only going to show the real characters in action when I have a substantial gameplay. :D

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5204 on: November 30, 2017, 12:52:33 AM »

Interpolation between orhographic and perspective projection. I'm going to use a fixed value of interpolation for my game. Also had to make a lot of trickery to reduce the deformity of the plat planes in the 3D view.

The little ghost guy is a placeholder, bc I'm only going to show the real characters in action when I have a substantial gameplay. :D

Just for curiosity, the trickery you are mentioning is forcing you to not having a very high angle between the camera and the plane? Or you are free to angle the plane as much as you want?

Games:

JWki
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #5205 on: December 01, 2017, 08:14:14 AM »

Having some fun with AngelScript

The fun part being that std::string isn't something we talk about in my code so to get some basic print to console working I had to write a tiny string implementation first because AngelScript doesn't have a native string type and only provides an addon using std::string (which is fair enough). Kinda liking the "you only need to define what you want to use" attitude.

Not sure how I feel about the language itself - it might be too close to C++ for my taste but I haven't decided that yet.

Oh and getting it to build was a bit more work than I'd have liked, too - my policy when building libraries is "it has to work if I just drop the files in" and while that's possible, I have a few, erhm, conditions (exceptions turned off) so I had to #define and #pragma some things into place - and 64 bit builds on windows need an external assembly file for three functions which is a bit odd.
ferreiradaselva
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #5206 on: December 01, 2017, 11:12:38 AM »

Just for curiosity, the trickery you are mentioning is forcing you to not having a very high angle between the camera and the plane? Or you are free to angle the plane as much as you want?
I wish Sad I'm still doing some rotation. It's not a fixed value, but the rotation willgo between ~76º to 84º, depending on the distance of the plane to the camera. A fixed value would still deform depending on the distance, so I did that to reduce the deformation.

=========

In other news: I was curious why I had a peak of visitors in my github projects, then I found that my MATHC library was posted on a Russian programming website (https://tproger.ru/articles/mathc-by-ferreiradaselva/)

ferreiradaselva
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #5207 on: December 02, 2017, 11:45:05 PM »

It's so weird when, after a long time working on the framework/engine, you start to work more on your game than on the framework/engine. I spent all the day making progress with the game.

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5208 on: December 03, 2017, 04:52:45 AM »

It's so weird when, after a long time working on the framework/engine, you start to work more on your game than on the framework/engine. I spent all the day making progress with the game.

Good! There is no purpose in making a game engine if you are not creating any game with it at all (except for pure fun) Make games, not engines Grin

Games:

popawheelie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5209 on: December 03, 2017, 06:32:35 AM »

Isn't that the truth. But than the bugs start appearing and its back to engine. Doh!

ferreiradaselva
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #5210 on: December 03, 2017, 03:29:22 PM »

I love to write backends tho :D Writing game engines, frameworks is fun. Writing games is a different kind of fun.

====================

Happy: I was about writing a sort algorithm to get the correct alpha blending between objects, bc my game mainly uses billboard, but I remembered the "discard" command that you can use on fragment! :} Since my game will only use 1.0 alpha or 0.0 alpha, I can use that with no problem :D

Also...

I will start to use git on my game repo, but I need to save the code and assets somewhere. I'm thinking about writing a script that, every time I make a commit, the repo is zipped with a password and I can send the ZIP to a storage service (I'm thinking about MEGA).

Edit:

Ohhh, I though hooks where a custom thing provided by the servers, but it's part of git: https://git-scm.com/book/gr/v2/Customizing-Git-Git-Hooks

I'm gonna make a script to do what I said above.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 07:24:17 PM by ferreiradaselva » Logged

JWki
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #5211 on: December 03, 2017, 11:32:14 PM »

Isn't Version control the thing where you save the code, usually? :p
ferreiradaselva
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #5212 on: December 03, 2017, 11:59:57 PM »

I want to zip and encrypt the repo, too, for safety. And send to some remote server, also for safety. Having the whole project only on my laptop is too risky. Imagine if it's stolen, or fall and crash, or explode?

Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5213 on: December 04, 2017, 12:47:02 AM »

I want to zip and encrypt the repo, too, for safety. And send to some remote server, also for safety. Having the whole project only on my laptop is too risky. Imagine if it's stolen, or fall and crash, or explode?

When I kept valuable code on a laptop I would use a dedicated encrypted partition. That way, if things were stolen, nobody would get the code, they'd just get a laptop that they'd probably end up wiping. I would then periodically sync to a trusted machine (in my case at the time, Subversion commit to another machine). If things got damaged (laptops bounce around a lot) then I'd just lose my work since last sync. It also saves messing about with encrypting individual items. All you need to do is decide whether a particular file or asset belongs on the encrypted partition or not, which is usually based on its importance and size.

Also, the primary origin for everything stored on the laptop was elsewhere. Apart from perhaps my last few hours work, everything else had its primary origin elsewhere, and was copied *to* the laptop. The loss of the laptop at any time would have been unfortunate, but never devastating to the project I was working on.

I hope this helps, and perhaps inspires some other approaches you might take in the future. Smiley
JWki
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #5214 on: December 04, 2017, 12:54:56 AM »

Still not quite sure I'm following.
Encryption is one thing, sure, but not having the project on your laptop only is pretty much what version control does anyways?
ferreiradaselva
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #5215 on: December 04, 2017, 01:09:08 AM »

When I kept valuable code on a laptop I would use a dedicated encrypted partition. That way, if things were stolen, nobody would get the code, they'd just get a laptop that they'd probably end up wiping. I would then periodically sync to a trusted machine (in my case at the time, Subversion commit to another machine). If things got damaged (laptops bounce around a lot) then I'd just lose my work since last sync. It also saves messing about with encrypting individual items. All you need to do is decide whether a particular file or asset belongs on the encrypted partition or not, which is usually based on its importance and size.

Also, the primary origin for everything stored on the laptop was elsewhere. Apart from perhaps my last few hours work, everything else had its primary origin elsewhere, and was copied *to* the laptop. The loss of the laptop at any time would have been unfortunate, but never devastating to the project I was working on.

I hope this helps, and perhaps inspires some other approaches you might take in the future. Smiley

It is helpful. Currently I don't have a paid server that I could use to make something so smooth like that - which is why I'm thinking about using MEGA.

Still not quite sure I'm following.
Encryption is one thing, sure, but not having the project on your laptop only is pretty much what version control does anyways?

Well, it's one of the things that version control offers, the other being keeping track of history. Currently, I'm using only for history purpose, but no remote clone.

I made a bash script to zip only the tracked files and the repo itself(.git directory):
Code:
#!/bin/sh

echo "CHOOSE YOUR PASSWORD:"
read password

for f in `git ls-tree -r master --name-only`; do
zip -P $password archive.zip $f
done

zip -P $password archive.zip .git

Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5216 on: December 04, 2017, 02:00:32 AM »

It is helpful. Currently I don't have a paid server that I could use to make something so smooth like that - which is why I'm thinking about using MEGA.

Sounds fair enough. Some other options are a PC in a secure location, or even just an external drive that you sync to that you store securely. As long as the data is in two locations, you can withstand the loss of one.

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5217 on: December 05, 2017, 12:45:24 AM »

Sounds fair enough. Some other options are a PC in a secure location, or even just an external drive that you sync to that you store securely. As long as the data is in two locations, you can withstand the loss of one.

IMHO, I would not trust too much on MEGA, it is being used heavily for piracy high-speed sharing like the old Megaupload, and also it is from the same proprietary Kim Dotcom. I will not be surprised if it will close all of a sudden.

Games:

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5218 on: December 05, 2017, 07:57:04 AM »

Happy: I was about writing a sort algorithm to get the correct alpha blending between objects, bc my game mainly uses billboard, but I remembered the "discard" command that you can use on fragment! :} Since my game will only use 1.0 alpha or 0.0 alpha, I can use that with no problem :D

Also...

I will start to use git on my game repo, but I need to save the code and assets somewhere. I'm thinking about writing a script that, every time I make a commit, the repo is zipped with a password and I can send the ZIP to a storage service (I'm thinking about MEGA).

Edit:

Ohhh, I though hooks where a custom thing provided by the servers, but it's part of git: https://git-scm.com/book/gr/v2/Customizing-Git-Git-Hooks

I'm gonna make a script to do what I said above.

Are you drawing back to front? I remember a while back i hit a nasty perf bug on PowerVR because I used the depth buffer with discard and that apparently disables a tone of hardware optimizations.

Probably not a big deal but I thought I'd mention it. I shouldn't have been using the depth buffer for a 2d game anyways.

ferreiradaselva
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #5219 on: December 05, 2017, 11:13:20 AM »

Are you drawing back to front? I remember a while back i hit a nasty perf bug on PowerVR because I used the depth buffer with discard and that apparently disables a tone of hardware optimizations.

Probably not a big deal but I thought I'd mention it. I shouldn't have been using the depth buffer for a 2d game anyways.

I'm currently having no problem with performance, but that's good to know.

Pages: 1 ... 259 260 [261] 262 263 ... 279
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic