Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 03:28:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)The happy programmer room
Pages: 1 ... 260 261 [262] 263 264 ... 279
Print
Author Topic: The happy programmer room  (Read 677781 times)
Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5220 on: December 06, 2017, 12:46:17 AM »

Are you drawing back to front? I remember a while back i hit a nasty perf bug on PowerVR because I used the depth buffer with discard and that apparently disables a tone of hardware optimizations.

Probably not a big deal but I thought I'd mention it. I shouldn't have been using the depth buffer for a 2d game anyways.

Depth buffer could be useful even in a 2d game, for example in lighting (determining the correct position of the sprite) and also for rendering the shadow geometry with depth testing, to properly layer the shadow between other objects.

Games:

ferreiradaselva
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #5221 on: December 06, 2017, 09:54:54 PM »

Made a A*

Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5222 on: December 06, 2017, 09:58:38 PM »

This is my new favourite animation of the day week. It's mesmerising.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 03:04:06 AM by Garthy » Logged
ferreiradaselva
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #5223 on: December 07, 2017, 09:27:34 AM »

Glad you liked it ^^

I added the a* source code on github: https://github.com/ferreiradaselva/uastar

Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5224 on: December 07, 2017, 02:46:53 PM »

Glad you liked it ^^

I added the a* source code on github: https://github.com/ferreiradaselva/uastar

Neat. Smiley Thankyou for sharing it.

ferreiradaselva
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #5225 on: December 08, 2017, 07:22:25 PM »

dash and jump implemented B)

Next is probably grabbing items. I have other stuff implemented, but I don't want to give away the kind of game it is at the moment.  Ninja

Zireael
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #5226 on: December 09, 2017, 11:44:39 AM »

Neat jump animation <3
Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5227 on: December 11, 2017, 01:08:29 AM »

dash and jump implemented B)

Next is probably grabbing items. I have other stuff implemented, but I don't want to give away the kind of game it is at the moment.  Ninja

Very nice!  Smiley

It reminds me a dance floor, you could add some disco ball, and you have the game of Saturday Night Fever!  Gomez

Games:

ferreiradaselva
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #5228 on: December 11, 2017, 11:35:59 AM »

Very nice!  Smiley

It reminds me a dance floor, you could add some disco ball, and you have the game of Saturday Night Fever!  Gomez

My god, that's a cool idea! I'm going to make different battle arenas. I currently have 15 in my design document. I think a "disco" arena would look really cool.

JWki
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #5229 on: December 11, 2017, 11:51:35 PM »

Did this embed?

Built a cvar system and a console to go with it over the past like two or three days. I had built the cvar thing before so that was straightforward, but pretty pleased with how quickly I got the console up and running.
The video shows autocomplete and a somewhat broken history working (need to have a separate buffer for user inputs so it doesn't treat console output as part of the history).
I need to refactor the crap out of this because rn the code is somewhat messy but still pretty happy with how it turned out.
ferreiradaselva
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #5230 on: December 12, 2017, 05:39:20 PM »

Did this embed?

Built a cvar system and a console to go with it over the past like two or three days. I had built the cvar thing before so that was straightforward, but pretty pleased with how quickly I got the console up and running.
The video shows autocomplete and a somewhat broken history working (need to have a separate buffer for user inputs so it doesn't treat console output as part of the history).
I need to refactor the crap out of this because rn the code is somewhat messy but still pretty happy with how it turned out.

Nice! How does cvar works exactly? You have to make your own parser for the console, or is there already a library for that?

--

Well, I didn't implement items. I wanted to have some cool look for my map, so I started implementing the function to render the tiles:

JWki
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #5231 on: December 13, 2017, 06:15:42 AM »

CVars are basically tiny wrappers around some primitive types (float, bool, int).
They're declared like this:

Code:
static fnd::CVarBool enableViz = fnd::CVarBool("cl_enableAudioViz", "If set to true, audio output is visualized.", true);

That can be a static, a global, a member, anything really. They automatically register in a linked list when they are created so you can query for them by name, or iterate all of them. They cast back and forth between their corresponding types so basically you can just use them like you would use a normal variable.
WRT the console parser, yeah I write that myself. It's not very complex really.
Crimsontide
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #5232 on: December 14, 2017, 06:27:03 PM »

2>c:\programming\winlib\FileIterators.h(47): warning C4996: 'std::iterator<std::random_access_iterator_tag,uint8_t,int64_t,_Ty *,_Ty &>::pointer': warning STL4015: The std::iterator class template (used as a base class to provide typedefs) is deprecated in C++17. (The <iterator> header is NOT deprecated.) The C++ Standard has never required user-defined iterators to derive from std::iterator. To fix this warning, stop deriving from std::iterator and start providing publicly accessible typedefs named iterator_category, value_type, difference_type, pointer, and reference. Note that value_type is required to be non-const, even for constant iterators. You can define _SILENCE_CXX17_ITERATOR_BASE_CLASS_DEPRECATION_WARNING or _SILENCE_ALL_CXX17_DEPRECATION_WARNINGS to acknowledge that you have received this warning.

I got that today (after updating MSVC), and its nice, for once, to see a good, readable, clear, and concise error message.  Well warning message, but you get the idea...  Well done MS Smiley
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5233 on: December 15, 2017, 09:27:28 AM »

Readable error messages? Holy crap!

JWki
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #5234 on: January 02, 2018, 05:04:41 PM »

https://puu.sh/yT1Md/2470fc6713.gif

I think someone in here mentioned they want to work on fluid sim some time, this is where I'm currently at with a sph based implementation.
LittleTwig
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5235 on: January 03, 2018, 10:26:54 AM »

You guys make it really difficult for me to focus on my project.
I get kinda itchy and wanna work on low level stuff again.  Cheesy

I'm happy because I managed to break the repetition in my tilemap without barely any effort, just by slicing the texture in 4 parts while building the game and automatically assigning the matching part by the tileIndex.
The repetition barely visible, probably some kind of illusion with the grid.
Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5236 on: January 04, 2018, 01:06:40 AM »

But if you slice the texture in 4 parts, in case of a brick texture, is there a visual incongruent? I think it works for textures like rocks, grass etc.

Games:

ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5237 on: January 23, 2018, 05:18:00 PM »

After a months-long process, I finally have a working end-to-end system where I can model stuff in Blender, export it, load it, and render it in-game, with a texture and normal map. It's crazy how many steps were involved in the process of building all of that from the ground up. Fruits of my labor:

Next up is animation. Bringing this to life and having complete control over it is pretty exciting.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5238 on: January 23, 2018, 05:18:57 PM »

<3 !!

ferreiradaselva
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #5239 on: January 23, 2018, 05:38:54 PM »

daaaaaaaamn very cool!

Pages: 1 ... 260 261 [262] 263 264 ... 279
Print