Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411499 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 09:32:34 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)The happy programmer room
Pages: 1 ... 263 264 [265] 266 267 ... 279
Print
Author Topic: The happy programmer room  (Read 678411 times)
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5280 on: April 20, 2018, 07:11:21 AM »

Hahaha, no problem.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #5281 on: April 20, 2018, 07:41:07 AM »

This is a screenshot who's aesthetic I can only describe as "compelling". Good job on this!

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #5282 on: April 20, 2018, 09:44:15 AM »

Yay and not yay, Gimmy! Wish I could help, but I'm not familiar with the maths. ;;

Don't worry me neither, that's why it's taking me so long, even though it look simple in hindsight because hindsight are trolls.

In this case, I think I just need a way to be sure to offer the correct permutation of coordinate when crossing edges, so it's like square with different orientation on a graph, when going to neighbor, we find which edges match which and the associated permutation.

SO if we assume the edges are coded using local cardinal name like North, est, kanye, south, with x being the kanye-est axis, and y the south-north axis; well when south edge of the current tile connect to the est, we know the x become y and vice versa, and the result of modulo stay the same (unlike a north north connection where you take the size-position, because it's going backward).

So in theory this should be simple because I just thought about it and solve it in this answer (at least in theory) Who, Me?

And since it's a graph (as each face maintain a reference of all neighbor per edge), it would allow for arbitrary shape in the future. And I would have to figure out subdivision or NURBS to have nice round shapes.

ferreiradaselva
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #5283 on: April 20, 2018, 01:09:41 PM »

Getting somewhere on my aquarelle shader after two days of nonstop coding (and modelling and texture work to have something to shade in the first place)… Gomez Suddenly the vision I had for this game is starting to seem quite possible!

That looks beautiful!  Kiss

CodeLobe
Level 0

Decide to Act Sensibly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5284 on: April 21, 2018, 05:58:18 AM »

So in theory this should be simple because I just thought about it and solve it in this answer (at least in theory) Who, Me?

BEHOLD!

The Programmer's Oracle Reveals Itself Again!

All Hail the Rubber Duck of Debugging!
Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5285 on: April 22, 2018, 05:27:52 AM »

Yay and not yay, Gimmy! Wish I could help, but I'm not familiar with the maths. ;;

---

Getting somewhere on my aquarelle shader after two days of nonstop coding (and modelling and texture work to have something to shade in the first place)… Gomez Suddenly the vision I had for this game is starting to seem quite possible!

Is is very beautiful, congratulations  Smiley

Games:

bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5286 on: April 25, 2018, 01:25:32 AM »

Wow, nice shader! Hand Thumbs Up LeftTiger

Does some really interesting things with shadows. I can't even work out how that's possible!

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5287 on: April 25, 2018, 11:23:09 AM »

It's documented in the game art thread :D

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5288 on: April 26, 2018, 03:58:42 AM »

Thanks, everyone! <3 I've been too busy/tired with LD to check back here. It gets difficult to really 'see' one's own work after staring at it for so long, so it's encouraging to hear that you like it!

Of course everything good comes with something bad when you're me, and I spilled quite a lot of tea on the laptop I did this on, which now isn't booting… ): Will call a workshop today to see what can be done.

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5289 on: April 26, 2018, 04:56:02 AM »

That's what you get for drinking tea. You should be drinking fruit juice instead.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5290 on: April 26, 2018, 06:20:41 AM »

Googling the issue I actually found someone who asked why it's always juice when someone soils their computer… Huh?

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5291 on: April 27, 2018, 12:04:30 AM »

You should have been drinking wine, everyone knows that the alcohol evaporation is faster than tea!  Tongue

Games:

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5292 on: April 27, 2018, 04:22:33 AM »

But with wine, programming results might suffer. Can't have it all, I guess.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5293 on: April 28, 2018, 12:18:44 PM »

https://docs.unity3d.com/2018.1/Documentation/Manual/Constraints.html
Unity added that!

Am I alone in understanding how huge this is?

JWki
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #5294 on: April 29, 2018, 08:07:30 AM »

https://docs.unity3d.com/2018.1/Documentation/Manual/Constraints.html
Unity added that!

Am I alone in understanding how huge this is?

Couldn't you do that before? Oo
ferreiradaselva
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #5295 on: April 29, 2018, 03:18:07 PM »

Procedural generation of brush (which I call raster-tool, bc "brush" is a wrong name for it).

Just some explanation: there are general density, general roughness, fading area density and fading area roughness. Density is the random probability of a pixel to be ON or OFF. Roughness is the subtle random change in the pixel transparency.

I have square and diamond shapes, besides the circle shape. I also need to make some other modes of procedural generation, because I want to make possible to simulate almost any real artistic tool using only the  automated generation. Leaving "brushes" using textures only as a last resource.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5296 on: April 29, 2018, 03:37:12 PM »

Happy: got all the tile to behave properly in the planetary prototype, while it's not the end it was the uncertain part.

Daid
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #5297 on: May 09, 2018, 12:04:32 AM »

Finally, my spherical tiny voxel planets code is starting to work:

As you get closer to the center, and the voxels shrink, the amount of voxels in each layer is reduced. Pretty much a 3D version of this picture: http://i.imgur.com/ZPkrA9v.png

Software engineer by trade. Game development by hobby.
The Tribute Of Legends Devlog Co-op zelda.
EmptyEpsilon Free Co-op multiplayer spaceship simulator
Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5298 on: May 09, 2018, 03:11:17 AM »

Wow, nice.

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
Oats
Level 1

High starch content.

View Profile
« Reply #5299 on: May 10, 2018, 02:52:45 AM »

Finally, my spherical tiny voxel planets code is starting to work:

As you get closer to the center, and the voxels shrink, the amount of voxels in each layer is reduced. Pretty much a 3D version of this picture: http://i.imgur.com/ZPkrA9v.png
nice!

eh
Pages: 1 ... 263 264 [265] 266 267 ... 279
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic