Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:44:14 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)The happy programmer room
Pages: 1 ... 268 269 [270] 271 272 ... 279
Print
Author Topic: The happy programmer room  (Read 672975 times)
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5380 on: January 18, 2019, 07:43:48 AM »

Just a general note to set some things straight:

You can often get relatively far with simple tools and methodologies (such as stack based processing, recursive descent parsing etc.). This applies to many topics in life, not just compilers. But it is not all there is to it. If you want to get further there is a far more involved theory behind it. An advanced compiler can intersect the broad spectrum of computer science and benefit from it.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #5381 on: January 18, 2019, 01:06:10 PM »

So, I went ahead and registered for the nand to tetris course on coursera, and the description of the first few weeks of the course is basically microhard, which is a game about specifying computer hardware with logic gates that I happen to have played a while ago. Unsure if the two are related, but it sounds like one of them is vaguely inspired by the other.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5382 on: January 19, 2019, 06:43:48 AM »

Been working on character and camera movement! Works with both keyboard+mouse or a gamepad. c:

I've never done this properly before besides some wonky attempts for jam games where I didn't have the time to read up properly, but I'm taking my time to find resources and do it right this time. Feels good to play so far and wasn't too hard to implement once I had something to work from! Still a bunch to add tho, like a no-follow radius, camera collision detection and so on.

EDIT:
Got started on the collision detection too! First step being just to decrease distance if something gets in the way.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 12:16:25 PM by Prinsessa » Logged

qMopey
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5383 on: January 19, 2019, 03:22:04 PM »

Congrats! And nice babies you got there  Hand Thumbs Up Right
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #5384 on: January 19, 2019, 07:38:55 PM »

Looks like a good start on the camera system!

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5385 on: January 20, 2019, 02:14:26 AM »

Gomez

The baby that ended up in the wall reminds me of OoT Master Quest…

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #5386 on: February 03, 2019, 01:46:24 PM »

Pro tip of camera, that will ease later pain, move the near plane instead of the camera to avoid nasty framing of character, which also allow for better framing when you need to feedback there is a wall in the way.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5387 on: February 04, 2019, 01:01:24 AM »

That's an interesting idea, will remember it for the next time I'm working on the camera! Thanks!

kason.xiv
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5388 on: February 04, 2019, 07:12:01 PM »

Been working on character and camera movement! Works with both keyboard+mouse or a gamepad. c:

Nice. OpenGL? What base language? C++?
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5389 on: February 05, 2019, 01:54:55 AM »

Thanks! Yes and yes. c:

qMopey
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5390 on: February 05, 2019, 02:06:05 AM »

Reached my UI goals, which was to support some basic widgets, but especially the textured button. Which I am now using to implement a tile editor! I don't actually have tile art yet (using placeholder art from Cave Story), and haven't designed my tile system yet, but the UI is pretty much done for now Smiley

I went a little overboard with the UI... It supports multiple windows, dragging from corners/sides/resizing, the windows are ordered based on most recently interacted with, size/position of windows is stored in .ini file, input text box widget, and lots of other random features. Sort of a waste of time, but I learned about basic Immediate-Mode GUI implementation styles, and well -- I'm a sucker for learning new things Smiley

Edit:
And in the meantime I also implemented text clipping and scissor boxing, and user-input editing (with stb_textedit.h). Which are needed for the rest of the game anyways! So it's not like all the time on the UI was wasted. Maybe only like 20% of the time was actually wasted Smiley (implementing all the fancy dragging/resizing features... At least I skipped scroll bars for now!).
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 02:15:27 AM by qMopey » Logged
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5391 on: February 05, 2019, 03:04:36 AM »

Nice!

kason.xiv
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5392 on: February 05, 2019, 01:42:32 PM »

lol "fk you" - the industry standard placeholder text.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #5393 on: February 05, 2019, 02:59:15 PM »

"this is bullshit" is a personal fave of mine to put as placeholder, which I probably shouldn't do now that I think about it in case I end up leaving it in a release build by accident. >_<

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5394 on: February 06, 2019, 02:14:24 AM »

I'm too serious to do things like that in a place where it might accidentally remain, haha… My code constantly cycles through quick test variables called 'poop' tho.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #5395 on: February 07, 2019, 04:45:39 AM »

Graphist use "lorem ipsum" words or paragraph by convention, ease the pain to have to think about text

https://loremipsum.io/

After all nobody like dolor for itself right? sorrow, that's the extrem of good and evil

kason.xiv
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5396 on: February 07, 2019, 12:40:27 PM »

Today I learned what "dolor" is. Thx.
Sadvadet
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #5397 on: February 12, 2019, 11:53:41 PM »

Today I learned what "dolor" is. Thx.
By the way, I also study it
kason.xiv
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5398 on: February 13, 2019, 05:52:54 AM »

You study.. dolor?

Sorry to hear man, that sounds like a sad gig  Tired Durr...? Waaagh!
ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5399 on: February 13, 2019, 07:42:28 AM »

You study.. dolor?

Sorry to hear man, that sounds like a sad gig  Tired Durr...? Waaagh!

That's definitely a spambot waiting to edit a sketchy link into its post sometime in the future to increase search ranking. I've removed its ability to do so.

A quick peek behind the scenes... This behavior is obnoxiously common. They often wait a couple of months so that their post will be buried on a previous page of the thread where no one is looking except search engine indexers. I filter through the new user list every day, and almost always find a handful of new accounts with blatant spam links in their signature or website field. If someone makes a post that looks like this, but it's not blatant enough to be sure, I have to bookmark it and check periodically to see if I can catch them having edited it. I'm doing what I can, but I can't catch everything, so please make moderator reports for any spam links you happen to come across if I've missed one.

Pages: 1 ... 268 269 [270] 271 272 ... 279
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic