Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 03:39:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBear Hero (Platformer Roguelike-like) [FINAL DEMO 7/2/2017]
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: Bear Hero (Platformer Roguelike-like) [FINAL DEMO 7/2/2017]  (Read 40384 times)
Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« on: June 01, 2014, 08:12:17 PM »

Bear Hero is an action roguelike that was being made by me, with art by omnilith. Your goal is to guide a bear as deep into the ever-changing labyrinths as possible, in search of treasure and glory. There's even that ancient rumor about the tree of immortality at the bottom. If you could make it there, you would certainly become a hero...

A new demo is available (July 2017), check it out:

Demo v0.4 [Win]

Gamplay Gifs:

Background

This project started off as part of a low-res (32x32) game jam on GameJolt. You can find the completed jam entry here. But after that I wanted to expand it, polish the rough edges, and get some real art, since what I made seemed like a lot of fun.

--

Sadly, the B-Airs have ventured their last on this one. Better luck next time!

« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 09:43:34 PM by Glyph » Logged

kazak
Level 0

formerly saintgutfree

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 10:46:52 PM »

you should all play this
pottering
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 11:59:50 AM »

pretty cool
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 05:16:18 AM »

I will have to post some of the gifs I made when I get home. <3

Glyph
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 07:42:04 AM »

^ I uploaded the OST to Soundcloud, and I'm getting some work done on adding extra levels and such. There won't be much new to see for a while though, a lot of it is under-the-surface work.

Glyph
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 04:58:33 PM »

Working on some new stuff!

I added an information bar and a console outside the game window so that the player doesn't have to sift for useful info and more important stuff can be shown prominently. It's 100% optional and can be toggled with the press of a button for any 32x32 purists out there, however.

Next on the agenda is an extra area between levels 8 and 9 -- not that anyone would notice if it was there or not Tongue

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 05:08:51 PM »

Dude that rules!

Glyph
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2014, 10:41:41 AM »

I've updated the game to v0.95! More info here.
http://gamejolt.com/games/adventure/b-air-micro/27478/
The game is *ahem* finished, though work will continue on this Devlog. I wanted to get something out there that felt more complete before delving into the small additions (new areas, unique monsters, etc.)

Glyph
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2014, 08:06:10 AM »

I fixed a few glaring errors and some minor annoyances. Link's updated.
By the way, here's the changelog:
Code: (v0.95)
+ Added extended HUD with console
+ Added Relic descriptions in extended console
+ Added Spell descriptions  in extended console
+ Added 5 Relics (Coarse Gem, Precious Gem, Blood Seeker, Victor's Charm, Shiny Shell)
+ Added 6 Spells (Fire Orb, Shock Wave, Blizzard, Fire Claw, Ice Claw, Electric Claw)
+ Added more treasure rooms
+ Added separate Physical/Magic/Fire/Electric/Ice resistances to every enemy
+ Updated guide.txt
= Fixed bugs involving certain lingering enemy attacks
= Fixed glitch where XP was displaying improperly
+ Made health appear in chests when you already have everything that could appear

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2014, 08:35:53 AM »

I like the new HUD stuff!

also

character creation gif

Glyph
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2014, 02:36:36 PM »

Working with omnilith to make the graphics at 4x resolution and also not suck. All the blocky stuff is obviously placeholder. I had to break the game to get this in but I've mostly patched it back together now.

Also it's probably not going to be named B-Air Micro anymore. I'm still pondering a new name...

siskavard
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2014, 02:46:49 PM »

this is lookin' nice
Glyph
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2014, 07:24:47 AM »

Gentleman

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2014, 07:45:00 AM »

Epileptic Epileptic Epileptic Epileptic Epileptic Epileptic

omnilith
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2014, 02:08:33 PM »

official bear theme song

Glyph
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2014, 02:02:48 PM »

Missing some important animations, but the perhaps-much-too-tall knights are in.

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2014, 02:33:54 PM »

They should be named The Too-Tall Knights

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2014, 09:13:36 PM »

This is cool, yeah! I've yet to try out the demo, but the game looks pretty fun, and I like that method of creating your character. Feels kinda weird and random, but fitting for the game. Keep it up!

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2014, 06:21:39 PM »

Likey. Gotta give it a go sometime, see what's up. Seems simple and straightforward, any plans to add environmental hazards to help/harm? Knights and you having slashy-power does give enticing potential...

Glyph
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2014, 07:07:23 AM »

There are plenty of dangerous traps in the later dungeon levels to tussle with, but they mostly appear in treasure rooms. There are some that appear in levels, such as fire traps and laser turrets, as well as the occasional arrow trap. I plan on adding more as well.

Enemy death explosions, wizards, and some other stuff. None of this stuff is new per se, but once all the graphics finally get remade and put in, I have many plans for interesting expansions.

...Begin ramble. The HUD will obviously be redone, and it's all up in the air right now, but I'm planning on having HP/MP be represented by a bar and be gained with level (or some function of level and stats, most likely). This opens up opportunities for enemies to deal more damage with one hit, but will have to be carefully balanced so that the difficulty stays where it should throughout (my philosophy on this is that your power should grow linearly and the difficulty exponentially, if that makes any sense at all). This also invites status effects like poison (once hit with a poison attack, a portion of your bar will become purple. This will wear off as you kill enemies, but if you get hit again then you will lose the purple health and also take the extra damage), fire blight (I dunno about this one, but I'm thinking it will make you run around, unable to stop, for a while), and ice blight (no hovering for a while and maybe a movespeed penalty). Since there's also the lightning element, I'll have to think up a lightning blight too. I also want something that affects magic-users specifically, maybe silence. Speaking of magic, I will probably make the MP bar scale with INT, which will not only make the stat more effective but also bar Str/Dex users from achieving the maximum efficacy from non-damaging spells. The amount added will probably not be that much so that spellblades and the like aren't de-incentivised though. Now, with a more flexible mana pool, I'll probably make enemies recharge a flat amount of mana on kill instead of it being variable. Or it could be based on their health, maybe, which would be self-balancing but harder to control. Also, with this new mana pool, I'm planning on adding diversity to your spell selection. There will be *some* way to cycle your spells mid-fight, probably between a list of three equipped ones. So for example you could have a remedy spell to cure your poison and not be hurting your damage output, since you can just switch to a damaging spell. Along with extra magic slots comes my next point, which will be extra relic slots. Three again, the only restriction for them being that you can only equip one of a 'type' at a time. If you look at the tiny relic icon in the pause menu right now, you'll see what I mean... boots, bangles, staves, rings, amulets, and the catch-all 'special'. There may be more (or less) categories as needed though. It goes without saying that the relics will need to be re-balanced with this in mind, of course. Finally, hopping on the feature-creep train are mutations. Gained from who-knows-what means and coming in a good and bad variety, they'll add some extra diversity and uniqueness to each character. Positive mutations will likely be gained from treasure chests... and negatives from nasty enemies, of course. Some examples of things mutations can do: passive mapping (demigod's ability), partial passive mapping (just enemies, treasures, health rooms, etc), health/mp/str/dex/int/rF/rC/rL/hover/recov/cast up/down, faster movement speed, clarity, guts, and so on. I'll also try to incorporate some 'fun ones', be they negative or positive, that change the way you play, if only slightly. For example, maybe you might gain the 'vampiric' mutation and take extra damage from fire, but syphon more HP from enemies. I dunno, stuff like that. Well, this ramble is about over now I'd say. I still have plenty of things to mention, but I was mostly trying to cover the big things that would change with the new system in place. I haven't even touched on area branches yet, but I can't get too far ahead of myself.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 10:02:01 PM by Glyph » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic