Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411468 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 22, 2024, 11:39:50 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBear Hero (Platformer Roguelike-like) [FINAL DEMO 7/2/2017]
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
Print
Author Topic: Bear Hero (Platformer Roguelike-like) [FINAL DEMO 7/2/2017]  (Read 40394 times)
TheChaoticGood
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: February 10, 2015, 10:21:38 AM »

Wow I'm really bad at your game I cant beat even one level.

Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 10, 2015, 03:58:48 PM »

Thanks for playing, everyone. Work on this game is continuing, albeit slower than I'd like due to a busy semester and new games to play. I'm going to count Monster Hunter 4 and the new Kirby game as 'design study' though Tongue

Wow I'm really bad at your game I cant beat even one level.

I'm gonna have a tutorial of some kind in the next demo, but my advice for now is to watch how and when enemies attack, bait out their attacks, and then hit them on their recovery. Oh, and don't forget you can hover and slide. Good luck!

Glyph
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 19, 2015, 07:37:34 PM »

Just posting to say that this project is still carrying on. Monster Hunter, Kid Icarus Uprising (this will undoubtedly be the most Sakurai roguelike ever), and this semester have been eating up most of my time, and on top of that, I've mostly been working on the Swamp, which I don't want to show anything about (other than that it exists, which I've said previously). I'd rather keep it a secret 'till the next demo.

I did make a new Swamp theme based on my previous attempt recently, though. So I have that to show:

https://soundcloud.com/blockdude11/slumber-of-the-ancients

And here's some of the art for relics in the game (not all of it's final):

« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 07:43:51 PM by Glyph » Logged

Glyph
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 20, 2015, 03:10:49 PM »

I found some time today to put in something new...

If the damage you take from one attack exceeds a certain threshold, you will lose your footing and go flying through the air, completely unable to control yourself. This threshold is based on max HP and is modified by your Strength, so weaker bears like the mage here might be sent flying from things that tougher ones can shrug off.

Now, if you're not quick on your feet, you'll smack into the ground and take a while to stand up as above. But if you press the dodge button shortly before landing...

You'll perform an ukemi, recovering immediately and gaining a much longer invincibility window afterward. You just need to press the dodge button right before landing to perform this - but simply mashing the button won't work!

I decided to put this mechanic in the game when, after playing Kid Icarus and Smash Brothers, I was sent flying in Monster Hunter today and reflexively tried to hit R before landing to recover Waaagh!

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: March 20, 2015, 05:46:18 PM »

ukemi = tech roll for those of you who are not super into fighting game mechanics

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: March 21, 2015, 02:54:51 PM »

It's looking really fantastic Glyph Smiley

snowkie
Level 0

Life is not a deathwish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: March 21, 2015, 08:02:03 PM »

this game looks fantastic! I love the mutation feature

Glyph
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 25, 2015, 02:03:05 PM »

So I finally got around to actually putting in deities, and aside from some un-implemented skills, the first three are pretty much done.

Deities grant great abilities to their followers, ranging from stat boosts to powerful activated abilities. However, almost every deity's benefits come with some trade-off, so prospective worshipers need to keep those in mind.

Following a deity for long enough, or doing things they like (for example, The Shining One likes it when you kill evil monsters) causes you to gain 'piety' with that deity. The more piety, the more abilities your deity will grant you.

...And now for the second thing I've been working on, morgue files. Every time a bear dies, a text file with the basic info on their journey is created. This is a feature that I've always liked about Crawl, and would like to see in more games, since I think they're fun to share or read through later.

Here's an example of one...

Code:
Bear Hero v0.3 Character File.

--== OVERVIEW ==--

Goodbye, Rotbart the Seasoned.
  Slain by a bad bear's fireball
  in the Ruins.

You were a level 4 Veteran.
You followed St. Poison. (*)
You knew 1 spell.
You had 6 relics.
Your journey lasted 9 minutes and 26 seconds.

--== STATUS ==--

Health:       -1/32
Mana:         22/24
Strength:     4
Dexterity:    4
Intelligence: 4

Eq. Relics:   Black Belt, Mythril Boots, Ancient Boots
Eq. Spells:   Trick
Mutations:    
Coins:        605

You resisted 0% of physical damage.
You resisted 0% of magic damage.
You resisted 0% of fire damage.
You resisted 0% of cold damage.
You resisted 9% of electric damage.
You were not resistant to poison.
You were not resistant to curse.
You were not resistant to doom.
You were not resistant to hellblight.

Relic List:   Ancient Sword, Ancient Boots, Ancient Staff, Mythril Boots, Black Belt, Ruby Talisman
Spell List:   Trick

--== MONSTERS SLAIN ==--

1 snake
3 knights
4 mages
6 bats
3 beetles
2 drones
4 bad bears
3 jumpshrooms
1 crusher
2 dire flowers
2 reapers
2 frogs
2 drakes
2 pedestal men

--== MISCELLANIA ==--

You saw 58 spaces of the labyrinth.
You opened 14 doors.
You took a total of 79 damage.
You used your claws 84 times.
You casted spells 5 times.
You spent 20 MP total.

@snowkie: Thanks! Truth be told, the mutation feature is pretty underused right now, but there will eventually be enemies/traps/items that will cause you to gain mutations, probably on deeper floors.

i.i
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 14, 2015, 09:26:49 AM »

Okay, this an old bump, but, SUBSCRIBED.

That gif in your sig was a good idea.
Glyph
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 14, 2015, 09:31:55 AM »

Hey, thanks Wink

I'm still working on this game frequently, but I'm lazy when it comes to updates. Besides, there are a lot of things that I'd rather leave as surprises for the next demo too.

Conker
« Reply #170 on: October 08, 2015, 01:32:25 PM »

posting to follow, everything looks great
grayhaze
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: October 08, 2015, 01:54:50 PM »

This looks amazing Glyph! I can't believe this is the first time I've seen this. Your progress from the original 32x32 game up to what you have now is incredible. Keep at it! Smiley

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 08, 2015, 02:43:27 PM »

I'm still working on this game frequently
As long as this is still true, I'm happy :D
Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 08, 2015, 04:23:35 PM »

I think this is really promising. The game just starts off too difficult. I was convinced something was broken because my attack speed was soooooo slow. But after I got a different class I realized that this just how the game is.
some of the traps arrow shooting traps also seemed like something for experts while it was at the very first stage.

I wanted to play more but I just could not handle the slow attack speed Tongue

Glyph
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 08, 2015, 08:28:00 PM »

Yes, I'm still working away silently. The game still feels fun to play, personally, so I can't see myself stopping. Some of the major issues like slow attack recovery and a few annoying enemies have been addressed to make things feel more fluid, as well.

Sorry if it's too hard - I've taken the difficulty concerns to heart and added a Practice mode where you take half damage and can pick up stray apples from enemies. That will come along with the next demo, once things are at a good point.

ronare
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 09, 2015, 12:07:28 AM »

i tried the demo and it's already very fun! looking forwards for the next update  Grin
fall_ark
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 09, 2015, 07:22:00 AM »

This is amazing. So much fun when you gradually understand how the choice part works (even though some pics are hard to recognize) No No NO Looking forward to it!

Chinese localizer and influencer. Translated Dead Cells, Slay the Spire, The Count Lucanor, Katana Zero, Dicey Dungeons, and involved in the localization of Reigns, The Curious Expedition, Desktop Dungeons, etc.
If you have questions about Chinese loc and publishing etc., find me at Twitter @SoM_lo
stringkiller
Level 1

Fat Pixel

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 09, 2015, 09:32:42 AM »

Just tried the demo. The inital class selection process is fantastic!

At first I felt a bit cheated by the sluggish controls but as I got used to them I felt really hooked. I love the way enemies has basic patterns but it is well enough designed so every room proves to be a challenge, it's great. I look forward to playing the full release  Gentleman

< check out the devlog! or Twitter!
saluk
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 29, 2015, 11:00:33 AM »

subscribed

Just read through the devlog and was really hoping I didn't get to the end and have you be all "nah, life got in the way and I gave up". The level design looks a bit inspired by spelunky, which is always a good thing. I haven't been able to try the demo (not on windows at the moment) but I'll give it a go when I can.

Cranktrain
Level 4

making gams

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: October 29, 2015, 12:05:17 PM »

Looks really, really, really good. I haven't found a good roguelike platformer since Spelunky, and this seriously looks like it might fit the bill. Keep going!

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic