Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411433 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58418 Members - Latest Member: Pix_RolleR

April 20, 2024, 08:22:42 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBear Hero (Platformer Roguelike-like) [FINAL DEMO 7/2/2017]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: Bear Hero (Platformer Roguelike-like) [FINAL DEMO 7/2/2017]  (Read 40387 times)
Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2014, 06:05:09 PM »

Your guy seems a bit heavy, maybe? Like it looks like it might be a bit difficult to hop over spikes.

Bears are fat. Case in point:

Here's a Paladin, with purely-decorative sword and shield.

Despite his heft, we know from physics that weight has nothing to do with gravitational acceleration. Anyway, the framerate of the gif is a little funked up so it might feel heavier than it is right now.

This game could do with a higher resolution Wizard

Step by step, it's increasing. It might stay here or go up to 320x240.
It started out as this, so we've come a ways:

Also, have a shopkeeper mockup. Try not to think about how this sprite is literally the same resolution as the whole game used to be.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 03:19:32 PM by Glyph » Logged

Kurt
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2014, 07:24:52 PM »

This looks really good!

mike_w
Level 0

Hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2014, 11:10:45 PM »

Sadly, I don't think that Spelunky's name lends itself well to a sub-genre (like Rogue does).

That is a fact I will not argue with

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2014, 11:58:01 PM »

I dunno, this might work:

"What genre is this?"

"a spelunker"
Glyph
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2014, 03:39:59 PM »

Made a level editor with a few useful features, like automatically fitting levels if they're below the minimum size (13x8 currently). Here's a test gif.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 10:07:35 PM by Glyph » Logged

Glyph
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2014, 05:30:57 PM »

Some remade stuff, and some brand-new stuff.

So, knights and wizards are back in business, being a bit too tall like always (it's not as bad now that things are spacier, though). The stages are now loaded from strings like before, using a simple syntax. For example, here's the data for the stage in this gif:
Code:
   "XX         XX#
    XX    1    XX#
    XX  X---X  XX#
    XX         XX#
                 #
                 #
       @  _  1   #
      -T-XXX-T-  #
       L XXX L   #
       L XXX L   #
       L XXX L   #
     1 L  =  L 1 ";

There are also springs, just to put some variety in vertical stage traversal. They'll probably be pretty rare.

Another thing worth mentioning is sliding, which happens when you duck while running. What's really important about this, though, is when you slide through an enemy. This will open you up for a cross-up attack, which is like a critical hit. Your foe will briefly lose sight of you (turn yellow) and hitting them in this window inflicts extra damage based on Dexterity. You can see me doing this to the knight in the image.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 10:08:32 PM by Glyph » Logged

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2014, 05:50:02 PM »

Sounds cool! Added combat mechanics like this are great. I should play the demo - I never got around to it. Sad

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2014, 10:14:46 PM »

The enemy death explosions are wonderful, I love them

Glyph
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2014, 11:07:07 AM »

Update time!

I made this level dark to show the lighting engine a bit more, but usually this particular tileset wouldn't be used in a dark level. I made the lightning spell and the ability to switch spells, so hopefully I will make many more soon. There are also bats, which might need to be made brighter since they're hard to see right now.

I'm gonna write about some technical stuff from now on, so if that interests you read on, and if it doesn't, then don't.

What took most of my time for this update isn't something readily apparent in the gif: I added in some controlled level randomization. Going off the idea of 'obstacles' from Spelunky (ever a good example of how to do procedural generation the right way), I added 'minivaults', which are similar but a bit more specific. Here's the level editor equivalent of the level in the gif, to further explain things:

The 5x5 chunks are the minivaults, and when the level is exported it now appends this:

Code:
    global.mini_data =

"@6@11@3"

Which is, stupidly enough, an int-converted set of binary numbers representing up, down, left, and right exits available for each minivault in the map. So "@6" means the first minivault appearing has a down and left exit (UDLR=0110=6). Don't ask me why I did it this way, I don't know.

Anyway, before the level is loaded, the game loads all the minivaults in a particular theme. Here are a few sample minivaults used so far (these are really just test ones so they're subject to change):

XXXXX
         T    X   X    -
       X L X    X  
 ^_^     L    X   X  X^^^X
XXXXX    L    XXXXX  XXXXX

The game then determines the up, down, left, and right exits of each minivault, and then when the level is loaded and we encounter a minivault, the game checks every minivault and bit-shifts out the appropriate exit data from global.mini_data to compare with them (again, I don't know why I found this necessary). Once the list is narrowed down to the actual candidates, it just picks a minivault at random and starts this process over again for the next one.

It's a system in its infancy, but with more levels and more minivaults, the chances of seeing the same level twice will quickly become astronomical.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 10:09:29 PM by Glyph » Logged

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2014, 02:09:41 PM »

Looks pretty solid, following!

MADSOFT
Level 0

Independent game development & publishing studio.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2014, 06:23:54 PM »

This look awesome! Definitely following Smiley

We are a small independent game development & publishing studio based in Edmonton, Alberta. Currently working on Me And My Dinosaur!
Back us on Kickstarter!

mike_w
Level 0

Hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2014, 10:29:48 PM »

I love that little bear so much

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2014, 12:22:40 AM »

The minivault idea looks good!
DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2014, 01:45:19 AM »

Replying to watch - loving the hybrid! Smiley

Me, David Williamson and Mark Foster do an Indie Games podcast. Give it a listen. And then I'll send you an apology.
http://pigignorant.com/
0x0961h
Level 2

Quantum Demon

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2014, 04:52:29 AM »

Procedural generation and roguelikes are relevant to my interests, subscribed. Smiley

Glyph
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2014, 10:16:24 AM »

Been hard at work remaking enemies and making the environment look a little nicer.

The curse status bar is placeholder, and I dunno if I'm gonna make curse act like that in the end. It works for now, though.

Goodbye, hero...

Here are some gifs of glitches as well.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4841993/bairglitch.gif
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4841993/bairglitch2.gif

Glyph
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2014, 09:49:41 AM »

I was in a bit of a rush last time, so now I'll explain some of the status effects more. I tacked statuses onto some area 1 enemies that would never have them and then made my bear super healthy to show them off:

Here, the drone inflicts hellblight (which makes no sense). This will be a powerful later-area status effect that halves your current and maximum HP and MP. It's kind of like taking double damage and spending twice as much mana. As with every long-lasting status effect in the game, the only way to make it go away is to deal enough damage to enemies or win the battle - waiting around won't help you!

And here's a beetle inflicting poison. I think there will be a poison-inflicting enemy in the first area, but it would be rare and definitely not a beetle. So, once your poison bar fills up, one third of your health will turn purple. Fighting enemies will make the purple portion slowly go away, but if you get hit again before you can get rid of it, you'll lose all the purple health plus take the damage you normally would. Even our 90 HP test bear is quickly reduced to half health by being too careless.

Also, as you can see in the test level gifs, the game can now randomly flip level maps (not particularly noticeable since the level's basically symmetrical, though). It can also flip minivaults and use those however it wants, too. Along with the info bar (which might be a bit intrusive, yet) I think I'm about ready to move onto phase 2: a level map Gentleman

« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 10:11:37 PM by Glyph » Logged

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2014, 09:56:48 AM »

The colours are amazing!

absenter
Level 1

I push pixels.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2014, 10:58:05 AM »

Man, this game looks great. Keep it up!