Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:03:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHeptych
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: Heptych  (Read 16610 times)
Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2014, 01:18:03 PM »

Well, that was a longer break than I planned, but I'm back and motivated Smiley
Started working on more final effects for spawning enemies. The models and particle sprites are still placeholders, but the timing and general idea is already there.

Here's the video:

And here's the gif:

Netsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: August 29, 2014, 02:13:24 PM »

Here are some concepts for the basic two enemy types, a shooty guy and a punchy dude

Netsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2014, 11:21:48 AM »

New video? New video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVzvoeR6QgY&feature=youtu.be

Been working on enemy shooting FX and Tim got first wall segments modelled and textured.

Skydsgaard
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2014, 09:53:54 AM »

This looks awesome. I really like the aesthetics. The style and design of the units is really unique. I hope you don’t lose much of this because of the top camera view.

Anyway, I really hope you are able to finish soon so I can get my hands on it Smiley keep up the good work!

Netsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: November 05, 2014, 12:51:43 AM »

Thanks, this really means a lot coming from you Skydsgaard! Hand Thumbs Up Right

We had some difficulties but we're back on track, first batch of environments is almost finished and these were the biggest and most obvious placeholders. I also did some work on the underlying systems and finally got the blood splatters to work how I wanted.

Can't wait to show off the new look of the game in the following days!  Hand Shake Left Who, Me? Hand Shake Right

Netsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: November 06, 2014, 02:38:00 PM »

New enviros! New bloods! New screenshots!

Now with 100% more scripted events and puzzles!

Dr.Electro
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: November 06, 2014, 02:51:27 PM »

I like the style you go for the characcters and gameplay!
Not yet sure about the straight top-down-perspective.

Netsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2014, 12:23:37 AM »

Thanks, we'll make the perspective work, trust me Smiley There are some things that you can showcase better in topdown non-ortographic than in any other view. It's mostly about depth of the environment and leading your eyes into the play area and we don't have that yet in the screenshots.

Netsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2014, 02:35:30 PM »

First type of puzzle, drawing various graphs by hitting objects. Most of them will open doors on success and spawn enemies when you make a mistake. Sometimes the target graph will be drawn on the floor right next to it, sometimes you will have to remember a graph that was hinted at in a different place. The more obscure combinations will be reserved for optional/hidden areas though.

Netsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: November 13, 2014, 12:25:22 AM »

As the plot is starting to take a more certain shape I updated the short game description on my page:

Heptych is a non-linear hack'n'slash with metroidvania elements and a heavy emphasis on fast and challenging combat. Play as an exiled member of the seven keepers of reality and defeat the other six to bring back change to a stagnant world. But can anything truly exist under constant change?

Netsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: November 14, 2014, 01:20:09 PM »

Couldn't resist sharing :x

acatalept
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: November 15, 2014, 09:33:51 AM »

Love those spinny things Wink

The videos really sell it... the artwork is awesome, but this game really needs to be seen in motion.  Can't wait to see more (and play the final product).  You have my vote!

Netsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: November 15, 2014, 04:11:43 PM »

Thanks man, I adore the stuff you do with UE4!

I saw some mind blowing spinny things in your videos just yesterday Grin

Netsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: November 18, 2014, 01:55:32 PM »

Can't decide between additive and subtractive blending for the player hit effect.

I definitely prefer the look of additive (the white one), but it gets lost on bright background and as we have quite a lot of bright environments sometimes it is almost invisible.

The subtractive effect is always visible, but doesn't look as cool and in darker areas (like the shadow in the gif) you can't distinguish the different colours very well.

Gotta discuss it with Tymko some more.

danieru
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: November 25, 2014, 04:51:51 PM »

One thing which strikes out to me is the pillar. Both because you designed it to do that (pretty neat idea I should say) but also because the texture resolution is the same as other objects. This might be a problem because the piller reaches close to the viewer and thus the texture density changes. The pillar is thus the one place a player can get a detailed look at the texture styling, which could break immersion (or I'm just over sensitive to that sort of thing).

Also I'm curious, what anti-aliasing are you using? There is definitely something being used. I'm just not sure if the blur is from image compression or if it is FXAA or SMAA.

erebusman
Level 2

no one of consequence

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: November 25, 2014, 05:42:56 PM »

Dude.. I'm loving this!  I liked it early on when you had the white with blood .. it provides a lot of great contrast (which I'm sure you know..) but this more advanced detailed environment retains that while adding tons of visual attraction and interest that really is vivid and engaging.  Absolutely keep this direction .. you are winning!

Infernohawke Entertainment
Netsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: November 26, 2014, 06:24:06 AM »

One thing which strikes out to me is the pillar. Both because you designed it to do that (pretty neat idea I should say) but also because the texture resolution is the same as other objects. This might be a problem because the piller reaches close to the viewer and thus the texture density changes. The pillar is thus the one place a player can get a detailed look at the texture styling, which could break immersion (or I'm just over sensitive to that sort of thing).

Also I'm curious, what anti-aliasing are you using? There is definitely something being used. I'm just not sure if the blur is from image compression or if it is FXAA or SMAA.

Hi! This is still an early iteration, so we'll be sure to increase the pixel density of the upper pillars in later passes Smiley

The image might look antialiased bacuase on the forum it is scales, but if you click it you should open it full-sized, then you can see it is not AA at all. I'm not sure what antialiasing method Unity uses, but in the final game we'll just use whatever will be available.

Dude.. I'm loving this!  I liked it early on when you had the white with blood .. it provides a lot of great contrast (which I'm sure you know..) but this more advanced detailed environment retains that while adding tons of visual attraction and interest that really is vivid and engaging.  Absolutely keep this direction .. you are winning!

Thanks! There is still more work left to do on the environment, we hope it will look much better when finished Smiley

erebusman
Level 2

no one of consequence

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: November 26, 2014, 06:48:57 AM »

Hi! This is still an early iteration, so we'll be sure to increase the pixel density of the upper pillars in later passes Smiley

The image might look antialiased bacuase on the forum it is scales, but if you click it you should open it full-sized, then you can see it is not AA at all. I'm not sure what antialiasing method Unity uses, but in the final game we'll just use whatever will be available.

Thanks! There is still more work left to do on the environment, we hope it will look much better when finished Smiley

Instead of increasing pixel density at the tops of the columns perhaps you could use a depth of field effect where the focus is at the ground plan and objects'too close' are a bit out of focus.  This would do two things - increase the realism through camera trickery and reduce texture memory needs by increasing the columns pixel density.

Infernohawke Entertainment
Netsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: November 26, 2014, 07:02:42 AM »

That is an excelent idea, thanks! Hand Thumbs Up Right
I don't think it's possible in Unity Free (no fullscreen effects) but we hope to get some funding in the future and then we'll be switching to Unity Pro.

danieru
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: November 26, 2014, 07:07:09 AM »

No I'm 100% sure anti-alising is getting applied. Even worse it is a post-processing AA algo. Here I've blown-up a sub-section to show, complete with numbered reference points.

1. This is the smoking gun which proves AA is being applied. Without AA we would not see those semi-transparent pixels.

2. This proves it is an AA algo which affects textures. Only SSAA and post-process algos do that (plus maybe some of the super new algos).

3. This proves it is a post-process algo. Notice how the line has been split over two pixels and how each pixel is colored solid. This occurs because the iamge is first rendered without AA which causes the line to doulbe up. Only later does the post-process algo add in the neighbouring pixels. Also notice how the algo has done the exact wrong thing and picked the neighbouring pixels on the top and bottom to blur.

There is a good chance Unity has applied FXAA without your permission. FXAA was invented with AAA console games in mind. It is nothing more than a intelligent blur. For console games which often render at sub-native resolutions this blur isn't noticeable over the already poor graphics.

Your game deserves better, I suggest SSAA. It is the most expensive algo but performs AA over both geometric and textural aliasing. It gives a super-sharp image which will complement your art style.

Whatever you do please do not take your beautiful assets and apply a screenwide smudge with a post-process algo.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic