Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411482 Posts in 69370 Topics- by 58426 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 12:32:06 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)TutorialsNeed help with SDL!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Need help with SDL!  (Read 4390 times)
BeskarKomrk
« on: December 29, 2008, 02:37:22 PM »

Okay, I feel really stupid, but I can't figure out how to install SDL. I'm trying to learn to program using ]http://lazyfoo.net/SDL_tutorials/lesson01/index.php]. There are instructions on the website but they aren't working. I'm using a mac. I'd really like to learn, and this is standing in my way. If anyone knows how to install it, or a way around having to, please tell me.
increpare
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 02:52:41 PM »

I have it working on a mac.  I don't use sdl frameworks though; I just link with a makefile. Also: that tutorial is for xcode 2; xcode 3 is significantly different.  You might try googling for '"xcode 3" + sdl', see if something comes up.

(you have xcode 3 installed, right?)
BeskarKomrk
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 03:12:44 PM »

Yeah, I have Xcode 3. Does that mean that the entire site is outdated and won't work, or is it just that specific tutorial?

Also, there was a specific set of instructions within one of the downloads that says it is for Xcode 3.
increpare
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 03:25:24 PM »

Yeah, I have Xcode 3. Does that mean that the entire site is outdated and won't work, or is it just that specific tutorial?
Just that tutorial.  Once you have basic sdl code compiling, everything else is easy enough.

Also, there was a specific set of instructions within one of the downloads that says it is for Xcode 3.
with which download?  and, instructions for what?  did you go through with them?
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 04:02:23 PM »

The template files are stored in a different place in Xcode3. I'll  double check on my computer when i get home.

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
increpare
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 04:09:06 PM »

The template files are stored in a different place in Xcode3. I'll  double check on my computer when i get home.
I've ended up with sdl frameworks and templates copied to three or four different directories about my hd I think Roll Eyes  messy messy >_<
etherstar
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 04:26:07 PM »

I literally had this exact same problem a few days ago. The correct directory is: "/Library/Application Support/Developer/Shared/Xcode/Project Templates/Application/".  Also, don't forget to copy the individual forlder for each template, not the main folder that has all of the Xcode templates in the SDL devel package. Hope this helps. I found the answer through a google search trying to figure out where to install custom templates for Xcode on Apple's developer site.
BeskarKomrk
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 04:54:51 PM »

Okay, this is where i got lost. Where is the library folder?
etherstar
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 07:56:21 PM »

It's on the root level of your hard drive. Double click your hard drive on the Desktop, you should see Library as a directory there. If you already have finder open, just click on your hard drive on the left side of the screen. Also, if any of the directories in the path I specified do not exist (and they may not) feel free to create them.
BeskarKomrk
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 08:30:02 PM »

Thanks so much! It works fine now.
increpare
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 10:30:47 PM »

great  Smiley  be sure to let us know if you make anything with sdl, eh? Smiley
BeskarKomrk
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 09:54:39 AM »

Yeah, it's gonna be a while though.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: