Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 07:48:37 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsB-GamesB-game Competition!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: B-game Competition!  (Read 140136 times)
Pigbuster
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 18, 2007, 10:32:20 AM »

2. Handholder: a game based around approximately a half hour to an hour of tutorial on such advanced concepts like 'walking to the right' and 'jumping.' When you finally finish the tutorial, you start at one end of a screen with flat terrain, at the other end of which is your final objective. In case you have, by this point, forgotten that you press the right arrow key to walk to the right, generous hints are provided.

Make sure that every single bit of the tutorial is perceived as a separate "chapter". Upon completing them, there will be a lengthy "CHAPTER COMPLETE!" theme, and the player would be returned to a menu, where they'd have to select the next "chapter" manually.
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: August 18, 2007, 11:51:36 AM »

I've been "blogging" about this for the last couple of days, and I've come up with a few ideas about what I'm thinking of doing. In case anyone's interested, you can read the proposals here!

Heh. I guess this is why I never finish anything. Most other people have already started, and I'm still kicking ideas about  Embarrassed

Bibin
TIGBaby

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: August 18, 2007, 12:16:08 PM »

Can we enter multiple ones? I made my first one last night:

http://create-games.com/home.asp

download here: http://bibin.teatons.com/Downloads/BEST%20GAME%20EVVAR.exe
fucker
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 18, 2007, 12:28:03 PM »

Can we enter multiple ones? I made my first one last night:

http://create-games.com/home.asp

download here: http://bibin.teatons.com/Downloads/BEST%20GAME%20EVVAR.exe

Honestly you should be disqualified from this competition. You've never made anything besides below average games - you'd win this compo easily without even trying.
sergiocornaga
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: August 18, 2007, 05:03:15 PM »

Honestly you should be disqualified from this competition. You've never made anything besides below average games - you'd win this compo easily without even trying.
I hope you aren't being serious, but then, you haven't tried the unreleased demos that I have. Also, below-average isn't really what this competition is about now, is it?
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: August 18, 2007, 05:41:30 PM »

AFAIK, the B stands for budget in things prefixed by B-. So unless anyone intends on spending like $10,000 on making their game, all entries are B. Personally I think people are construing B to stand for like, Bad or something, and trying too hard to make a Bad game.

Edit: and by the way, I'm not saying making bad games for this compo is a bad Idea. Au d' contraire (or WTF ever), I think all dese interpertashuns are awesome. Just throwing my own opinion of what B is in the mix.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 05:43:49 PM by Xion » Logged

Headmade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 18, 2007, 07:46:35 PM »

I'm kind of disappointed that all entries so far are obviously crappy on purpose. I hoped to see some games that look like someone actually put an effort into it but have such absurd/silly elements that you can't help it but to think 'WTF?!'.
For example I think MDickie is truly convinced of the quality of his games and they are what they are because he can't make them any better not because he just wants to shit out some crap he doesn't care about.

If I had the time to participate I would make some kind of 'horror' game where the main pro-/antagonist is a mansize bee/human hybrid (see attachment). The B as I call him is the avenger of all bees and his mission is to hunt down those filthy honey stealing apiarists. B ferociously thrusting his sting at terrified apiarists sure would be amusing especially because for the sake of realism he would have only one sting.

But alas I have no time so I can only hope that someone else shares my view about what a B-game should look like. The contest is still fresh after all so the best game are hopefully still to come.
Headmade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 18, 2007, 09:03:19 PM »

I even crapped out an 3(/4) frame animation (sorry for double posting, but I could not attach it to my previous posting for some reason).
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 18, 2007, 09:07:22 PM »

I'm kind of disappointed that all entries so far are obviously crappy on purpose.

Crappy on purpose? I don't know about that....I like the look of Hick-A Billy Bride...I don't think that it looks crappy....

I wanted to make my game look a little abstracted...(plus this is my firs ttime making a game lol...)

Rest assured though, I am putting a ton of effort into this...(just got done brainstorming some cool features Smiley )

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: August 18, 2007, 09:10:14 PM »

If I had the time to participate I would make some kind of 'horror' game where the main pro-/antagonist is a mansize bee/human hybrid (see attachment). The B as I call him is the avenger of all bees and his mission is to hunt down those filthy honey stealing apiarists. B ferociously thrusting his sting at terrified apiarists sure would be amusing especially because for the sake of realism he would have only one sting.

Dude, you rule my school!  That bee is the winningest thing ever... :D

Will give my impressions on everyone's game threads this weekend (right now).
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 09:19:37 PM by Derek » Logged
raincoatduck
Level 0

I hate your quirky alt-country band

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: August 18, 2007, 11:40:43 PM »

AFAIK, the B stands for budget in things prefixed by B-. So unless anyone intends on spending like $10,000 on making their game, all entries are B. Personally I think people are construing B to stand for like, Bad or something, and trying too hard to make a Bad game.

The term B-anything just refers to the fact that back when double-features were shown all the time, you went for the A-movie (the first one that had a budget and stars and stuff) and stayed for the B-movie (which was usually lower on budget and just generally crappier). 

I agree that some people are just thinking this means bad games, which isn't really the case.  I think, no matter how you define the idea of a B-game, it all is going to boil down to Carefully-Crafted Crappiness™.  There just has to be some aspect of your game that is knowingly bad and exploits this for the player's enjoyment.  It could be the plot, concept, game mechanics, graphics, or anything else (and hopefully multiple of these).
Headmade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 19, 2007, 07:00:49 AM »

I'm kind of disappointed that all entries so far are obviously crappy on purpose.

Crappy on purpose? I don't know about that....I like the look of Hick-A Billy Bride...I don't think that it looks crappy....

You're right, not all entries are like that. Just the games I looked at last were not what I had hoped for, what led to this wrong generalization.
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: August 19, 2007, 07:22:03 AM »

Dude, that Bee freaks me out  Shocked

Congrats :D You should totally make that game!

Jimbob
Level 3

Not a Detective

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: August 20, 2007, 10:41:08 AM »

I think I'm late to the party, but I think also my idea might blow your mind...

Football... 2

Yes, a sequel... to a sport.

Coming soon... or maybe later.

Last release: sync::routine
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: August 20, 2007, 03:14:50 PM »

Football... 2
Ha ha! That's a great idea! I wanna see that! :D

Wilson Saunders
Level 5

Nobody suspects the hamster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: August 20, 2007, 06:19:48 PM »

I think I am going try and make a game for this.

Here is my current idea:

Nothing makes me think B-movies or B-games more than rampage. So I am going to try and make my version of it. Probably with more odd ball monsters than the original. The main twist to it will be the 2 player mode. One player will be the monster and the other will spawn in defenders to kill the monster and die horrible, pointless deaths. The monster player will use the keyboard and the defender will use the mouse. I will start a new thread when I have some screen shots to show for my self.

Play my games at http://monkeydev.com/
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 21, 2007, 06:40:12 AM »

I think I'm late to the party, but I think also my idea might blow your mind...

Football... 2

Coming soon... or maybe later.

Ooo, Football 2? Will that be like football in the future where the only people that play football are prison inmates and the dreaded space pirates that sail the galaxy?
That would be awesome lol...

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: August 21, 2007, 07:54:07 AM »

Tinarg, That bee animation is off the hook.  You need to make a game with that for all of humanity's sake.  Even if it isn't for the competition.  I think the games are looking pretty good so far. I think the key to winning/making a good game b game will be making it fun while also crappy at the same time. B game crappy doesn't have to mean not fun.  I can't wait to play these games.

Headmade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 21, 2007, 09:02:51 AM »

Tinarg, That bee animation is off the hook.  You need to make a game with that for all of humanity's sake.  Even if it isn't for the competition.  I think the games are looking pretty good so far. I think the key to winning/making a good game b game will be making it fun while also crappy at the same time. B game crappy doesn't have to mean not fun.  I can't wait to play these games.
I'm glad you like it and I really wish I had the time to do it but my scheadule is overbooked till october.  Lips Sealed

But anyone how wants to make a game out of this can do it freely and use/build upon the idea, the B and also the animation. I too would like to see this game  Wink
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: August 22, 2007, 01:00:52 AM »

Nothing makes me think B-movies or B-games more than rampage. So I am going to try and make my version of it. Probably with more odd ball monsters than the original. The main twist to it will be the 2 player mode. One player will be the monster and the other will spawn in defenders to kill the monster and die horrible, pointless deaths. The monster player will use the keyboard and the defender will use the mouse. I will start a new thread when I have some screen shots to show for my self.

Oh man oh man, I LOVE Rampage (Graham Goring can go to hell Wink)!  Great idea!

Sweet avatar, too.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic