Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 04:58:29 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsB-GamesB-game Competition!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
Print
Author Topic: B-game Competition!  (Read 140158 times)
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: August 22, 2007, 01:07:37 AM »

Nothing makes me think B-movies or B-games more than rampage. So I am going to try and make my version of it. Probably with more odd ball monsters than the original. The main twist to it will be the 2 player mode. One player will be the monster and the other will spawn in defenders to kill the monster and die horrible, pointless deaths. The monster player will use the keyboard and the defender will use the mouse. I will start a new thread when I have some screen shots to show for my self.

Oh man oh man, I LOVE Rampage (Graham Goring can go to hell Wink)!  Great idea!

Sweet avatar, too.

Rampage rulllleeeeezzzzz!!!!!

I still play this game...in fact I was playing just the other day...

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: August 22, 2007, 02:40:45 PM »

Seems to me that this news story would make a tasteless, but easy, videogame.

SamanthaZero
Level 0

Subdivisional

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: August 22, 2007, 03:05:06 PM »

Seems to me that this news story would make a tasteless, but easy, videogame.

Hmm...  could be a very interesting twist on the "Hot Potato" concept.  What might be more interesting would be playing frisbee in a live mine field.

"Go long!"

"Oka- *Boom*"
ribbon
« Reply #123 on: August 22, 2007, 06:28:36 PM »

Hello all.
I'm trying to make a game which I'm calling "Bowels of the Colossus" for your competition (and possible enjoyment). I guess you can probably imagine the ins and outs of it... Hopefully it fits in with the theme somehow - its my first game, so it will certainly be bad and that seems to be at least part of the criteria. I'll try to post something more when/if there is such a thing. Oh, and I look forward to seeing all your games of course.
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 23, 2007, 08:04:41 AM »

Hello all.
I'm trying to make a game which I'm calling "Bowels of the Colossus" for your competition (and possible enjoyment). I guess you can probably imagine the ins and outs of it... Hopefully it fits in with the theme somehow - its my first game, so it will certainly be bad and that seems to be at least part of the criteria. I'll try to post something more when/if there is such a thing. Oh, and I look forward to seeing all your games of course.

Well, don't misconstrue the "B" in B-Games Competition as bad...think more along the lines of low-"B"udget, but still with all of the dedication that goes into a game. Remember Ed Wood's movies? Think about what he did...I mean a lot of people just assume that he set out to make bad movies...but that wasn't the case, he just loved making movies and had to work with what he had....

So, don't think you have to make a bad game...lots of people have already done that for you already...just make a game you are passionate about Smiley

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Wilson Saunders
Level 5

Nobody suspects the hamster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: August 23, 2007, 08:40:48 AM »

There appears to be a lot of digestive track related enties for this Competition. I think Bowles of the Collosus will fit right in. If this is your first game making competition I suggest you try and keep it small. It looks better if you have a small working game at the end of the competition than a huge idea with only semi working parts.

Play my games at http://monkeydev.com/
Headmade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 23, 2007, 10:48:34 AM »

I have a grand idea that may revolutionise a whole genre.
What is the most blatant flaw of roguelikes? The visuals of course. Just imagine what you could achive if you polish up the graphics.

To show you what can be done with modern technology I attached a rendering of the protagonist that was created with the most sophisticated 3D creation tool known to man: Windows 3D Text screensaver. Shocked I'm sure you are awestruck.
handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: August 23, 2007, 10:59:28 AM »

3D ascii? Shocked I never thought i'd live to see the day...

lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: August 23, 2007, 11:28:14 AM »

absolutely brilliant idea, I am in fact, awestruck.  Shocked Shocked
but will the 3D characters spin?

Stij
Level 3

the world's tallest dwarf

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 23, 2007, 12:09:33 PM »

Tower, anyone?
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 24, 2007, 12:59:37 PM »

I have a grand idea that may revolutionise a whole genre.
What is the most blatant flaw of roguelikes? The visuals of course. Just imagine what you could achive if you polish up the graphics.

I also independantly had this idea! However, I had sort of envisioned it as high quality environments inhabited by slightly anthropomorphized text-characters. I was thinking some day I might get around to doing something with it.

In other news, I regret to announce my withdrawal from the competition due to time constraints. I have too much to do in the next month with moving and school, but I'm thinking that my eccentric B adventure game about early 20th century art movements may have some polish put on it and see actual release at some point in the next sixth months or so, if I ever have time to get around to it.

So keep your eyes peeled!

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: August 27, 2007, 04:22:22 PM »

Hey, guyzos, I've figured out the prizes for the contest! Grin

- Grindhouse "Making Of" Book!  It's in my dirty little hands and it's awesome.  Lots of photos, interviews, and behind-the-scenes info.  It'd make a sweet coffeebook.  The cover looks amazing (see above).

- A CD version of MDickie's Reach!  A hard-boiled wrestling game by the master of B-Games.  Here's an actual quote from the description of the game: "With so many balls in the air, the only question is will your Reach exceed your grasp?"  (!!!)

- Immortal fame for having created the best cult game of all time!

- Other intangible benefits, like increased jocularity!

The Grindhouse book is on my bed, and Reach is being shipped.

All the finished games will be featured on TIGSource, but I hope these lil' gifts sweeten the deal.  The entries I've seen so far look amazing, and I can't wait to see the rest.  Everyone seems to be having a good time.  Great work!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 04:23:57 PM by Derek » Logged
can-o-spam
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: August 27, 2007, 07:14:54 PM »

Looks pretty exciting. Too bad the game looks to be PC only (not that I'm particularly concerned, as I am certain a more deserving soul than mine will receive it.) What I'm more concerned about is that I won't be able to play many of the other entry games. (MAC platform only over here.) They all look so wonderfully wacky that I feel the need to try'em all! Guess I'll have to borrow my pal's Windows laptop in the studio sometime. Tongue

Anyway, thanks for organizing the compo. Oh, also, something I'm not clear on. Should we hold off releasing a finished version of the game until they are submitted, or does it matter?
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: August 27, 2007, 07:55:41 PM »

Anyway, thanks for organizing the compo. Oh, also, something I'm not clear on. Should we hold off releasing a finished version of the game until they are submitted, or does it matter?

Doesn't matter.  You can release it before the judging starts, or you can not show anyone until the judging starts.
Akari
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 29, 2007, 03:23:36 AM »

So, can I make make a remake of an old unfinished game I was working on several years ago? Because I think it would make an totally awesome B-game, since it already was one back then.
jazzuo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 30, 2007, 02:43:56 PM »

hi this is jazzuo. I sometime search jazzuo on goodgle to see what great thigs i have done lately. Well this is big.

ehm i want to ask if i may join this competition and contribute with a new game.
it should be my comeback game i havent make any game in almost 2 month.

I started yesterday with game of hemies. its about these creatures that are like teletabies kind of. I made utube video with these guys lately. anyway it should be fun and ishould B very sexy!!! yes action and viiidiiies

well im not dead as ed wood so youll have to bear me for some time still....
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 03:08:34 PM by jazzuo » Logged
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: August 30, 2007, 03:01:31 PM »

ehm i want to ask if i may join this competition and contribute with a new game.
it should be my comeback game i havent make any game in almost 2 month.

Yes sir, that would be awesome! Shocked

Welcome, jazzuo! Kiss
bigpants
Level 1

hi there, i'm happy mister bigpants

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: August 31, 2007, 12:55:31 AM »

Some former B-Game competitions (or close enough) for inspiration:

GP2X Crap Games Competition
http://nickspoon.phpnet.us/gp2xcgc
Ended February 2007
"You must make the worst game you can within the time you've been given"
Games were built for the GP2X(?), I'm sure there's an emulator somewhere.
More importantly, at the bottom of the page they describe all the games that were created.
Some very funny stuff.

The comp.sys.sinclair Crap Games Competition 2006 (CSSCGC 2006)
http://www.mattrudge.net/cgc2006/games.html
inspired by the Cascade Cassette 50 Derek mentioned
"Basically, the idea is to make a really crap game.
It has to be originally crap (or crappily original), not just unplayable and bug-filled."
Uses a scoring system TIGSourece might consider:
"Crap Factor: 7.5   Technical Ingenuity: 7.8   Achievement: 8.1   Fun: 8.2"

CSSCGC started back in 1996!
here are the entried from 2000:
http://www.duketastrophy.demon.co.uk/csscgc2k/entries.htm
and the 2 winners from 2000:
http://www.duketastrophy.demon.co.uk/csscgc2k/winners.htm

While they're officially "crap game competitions",
I imagine a lot of B-games will follow that path.

Twitter   B-Game   Demake  
one of us wears pants
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: August 31, 2007, 05:50:37 AM »

Holy shit, Happy Mister Bigpants is awesome.

While they're officially "crap game competitions",
I imagine a lot of B-games will follow that path.

I think "low budget, humorous, offbeat, and passionately made games competition" would be a better description, although I'm not going to dissuade someone from submitting anything crappy. Tongue
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 31, 2007, 07:29:45 AM »

Man, all these games look great!

I am going to be soo busy the 15th to the 16th of September  :D

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic