Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 04:20:07 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsB-GamesB-game Competition!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: B-game Competition!  (Read 140053 times)
Z_E_R_O_Player
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2007, 11:57:38 AM »

i saw this on the GMG forums and thought i would take a look, looks fun i will join :D  Tongue
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2007, 11:57:52 AM »

GameMaker is sort of the equivalent of your parent's dusty old Super Hi-8, and the pre-made games for it are the equivalent of your sister's room with the ponies on the background.

That is, until you learn it properly (and learn some patience and game design basics) and make stuff like Immortal Defence, The Cleaner, Clean Asia, The Ancient's Tome, etc.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Z_E_R_O_Player
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2007, 01:21:44 PM »

GameMaker is sort of the equivalent of your parent's dusty old Super Hi-8, and the pre-made games for it are the equivalent of your sister's room with the ponies on the background.

That is, until you learn it properly (and learn some patience and game design basics) and make stuff like Immortal Defence, The Cleaner, Clean Asia, The Ancient's Tome, etc.

niceley said i agree it is good to use but only when youve learnt it enough, pretty much just like any other gamemaker.
Average Higgins
Level 1

Huh? What?

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2007, 02:59:18 PM »

I am hopping on the B-Game Train right now!
shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: August 15, 2007, 03:02:32 PM »

niceley said i agree it is good to use but only when youve learnt it enough, pretty much just like any other gamemaker.

...yeeerss.

Anyway, I'm currently learning to use MMF2 (in Wine - just to make it awkward). Should be a laugh to see what I can come up with... Tongue

olücæbelel
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 15, 2007, 03:50:29 PM »

Now that I think of it, there are a lot of good games made in GM that deal with cleaning... maybe I should make a B-Game about cleaning.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: August 16, 2007, 01:45:08 AM »

Because I'm getting an impression from some of the comments that some people are thinking that "B" means that you don't have to (or want to) put in any real effort, I want to make it clear that that's not the case.  I don't want to say what I think a B-game is exactly, because 1. it's not something that's easily defined and 2. that's the way it should be(!), but there's definitely more to it than simply incoherency and poorly drawn graphics.  I actually think making a good "B-game" is going to take a lot of thought and understanding about the theme and about games in general!

To reiterate what cactus said:

Will be really interesting to see everyone's entries. I hope at least some of you are going for "Awfully good" (as seen in the poster), and not just awfully awful Wink
remouk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 16, 2007, 02:11:43 AM »

I won't have enough time to make a full game (I mean, coding it), and people here are talking about that Game Maker thing but it doesn't seems to work on Mac. Is there a kind of cross-platform clone or other nice (free) tools that could help me?

Thanks in advance. Smiley

Knowledge is pow(d)er
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 16, 2007, 05:39:11 AM »

Because I'm getting an impression from some of the comments that some people are thinking that "B" means that you don't have to (or want to) put in any real effort, I want to make it clear that that's not the case.  I don't want to say what I think a B-game is exactly, because 1. it's not something that's easily defined and 2. that's the way it should be(!), but there's definitely more to it than simply incoherency and poorly drawn graphics.  I actually think making a good "B-game" is going to take a lot of thought and understanding about the theme and about games in general!

To reiterate what cactus said:

Will be really interesting to see everyone's entries. I hope at least some of you are going for "Awfully good" (as seen in the poster), and not just awfully awful Wink

I pretty much took the "B" game concept as one in where you would flesh out a concept that would not usually be seen in other games, i.e. things that are not too cliche (cutsey platformer, grizzled shmup etc..) I think that most people will try to put in as much effort as possible...I showed off a basic screenshot of my game: Brain Drain but hope to flesh out the idea and game mechanics further than just the novelty of having Brains floating around attacking things and sucking out people's brains....I plan on making it as "awfully good" as possible lol...

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: August 16, 2007, 05:48:51 AM »

Oh man, Cactus is entering. We may as well all drop out now :D

It doesn't look I'm going to have time to do what I really want to do, so I'm thinking about making a platform game where you make things EXPLODE by headbutting them. Yey or nay?

Oddbob
« Reply #70 on: August 16, 2007, 05:59:40 AM »

Any game that involves headbutting deserves to be made.

Especially if it involves headbutting cute animals or small children... erm...
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: August 16, 2007, 06:03:47 AM »

Oh man, Cactus is entering. We may as well all drop out now :D

It doesn't look I'm going to have time to do what I really want to do, so I'm thinking about making a platform game where you make things EXPLODE by headbutting them. Yey or nay?

Yey, because I freakin' love Bonk's Adventure!!! Kiss

Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: August 16, 2007, 06:39:52 AM »

Ah feck. Guess it's been done before  Cry

...though to be honest, it looks very different from what I've got in mind...

http://www.youtube.com/v/ipn16zpFSEI

I was thinking more like, you know, headbutting skyscrapers and such.

ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: August 16, 2007, 07:19:51 AM »

I won't have enough time to make a full game (I mean, coding it), and people here are talking about that Game Maker thing but it doesn't seems to work on Mac. Is there a kind of cross-platform clone or other nice (free) tools that could help me?
Ehm, there's Coldstone and Novashell. Novashell is probably your best bet, though I've never used it.

I'm trying to learn GameMaker right now, it's like the computer programming equivalent of your mom's old Super Hi-8.

remouk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 16, 2007, 07:46:57 AM »

Ehm, there's Coldstone and Novashell. Novashell is probably your best bet, though I've never used it.
Thanks! Novashell sounds good, even if it's not finished I'll give it a try.

I'm trying to learn GameMaker right now, it's like the computer programming equivalent of your mom's old Super Hi-8.
I already read this sentence, I just can't remember where it was. Smiley

Knowledge is pow(d)er
ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: August 16, 2007, 08:20:54 AM »

It's possible my combination of boozing, womanizing and forum obsession has caused me to lose internal track of what I've previously said.

can-o-spam
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: August 16, 2007, 11:53:27 AM »

Hello.

New user here. I'd like to participate as well. I'll be developing a 2D game that is some kind of mash up between side-scroller, adventure and puzzle game (or something, we'll see how it comes out). The working title is "Hick-a-billy Bride".

I'll be a little pressed for time as during the work period I'll be out of town for a week, moving several hundred kilometers and returning to graduate school full time. But hey, I'll do my best.

Also, a note for 'remouk'. The Flash authoring environment is actually pretty decent for turning out simple games. However, if you're using Novashell as already suggested you'll be in a more powerful position. Flash is what I'll be using for my game because it is most familiar to me. It can also create Win and Mac standalone applications in addition to the swf.

Look forward to all the entries!
remouk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 16, 2007, 12:08:22 PM »

Also, a note for 'remouk'. The Flash authoring environment is actually pretty decent for turning out simple games. However, if you're using Novashell as already suggested you'll be in a more powerful position. Flash is what I'll be using for my game because it is most familiar to me. It can also create Win and Mac standalone applications in addition to the swf.
I already thought about flash but it's really too expensive here, and I prefered something more "game oriented"... But I'll use the trial version if Novashell is not good enough. Smiley Thanks for the advice!

Knowledge is pow(d)er
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: August 16, 2007, 11:12:00 PM »

Check multimedia fusion or game-maker out, they are really great for prototyping stuff, or in this case, making a SOLID game  :D

remouk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 17, 2007, 12:55:36 AM »

Check multimedia fusion or game-maker out, they are really great for prototyping stuff, or in this case, making a SOLID game  :D
As I said, I need something which run on a Mac, that's why I'm into Novashell and not Game Maker (even if it's more complex). But thanks. Wink

Knowledge is pow(d)er
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic