Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411431 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 04:01:15 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSUPER III Mobile
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 37
Print
Author Topic: SUPER III Mobile  (Read 92936 times)
SUPER 91
Level 0

Make games, not enemies.

View Profile
« on: June 04, 2014, 01:11:37 PM »

TRAILER (1 player):

TRAILER (2-4 players):

SUPER III is a fast-paced, adventure game that combines action-platformer and puzzle-platformer mechanics. The game follows the story of an alien named III (Three) and his self-imposed mission to rescue survivors, post-war.

The destruction brought on by war causes a 90% drop in all inhabitable land masses. This leaves chunks of land and ruin floating about space. III takes it upon himself to utilize his teleportation abilities for the powers of good. He plans on travelling the galaxy, rescuing survivors, and helping others along the way.

However, The King, his servants, and many others believe that the survivors should be enslaved by the victors of war. It is up to YOU to prevent them from standing in III's way!

TRAILER (1 player): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqF3WnrqkBA
TRAILER (2-4 players): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLL8H_8zcfM

SUPER III is an adventure game with an over-world and mission system similar to that of Super Mario 64. The over-world consists of several rooms filled with many portals. Each portal contains a level that has several missions to accomplish (including secret, undocumented missions) and new portals are turned on as the player collects batteries within the game. Batteries are rewarded after completing missions and can also be found in secret areas.

SUPER III started as a jam game for IndiE3 a few months back. My goal was to keep the game very pure and simple. III has the basic platforming abilities: run, jump, and wall-jump. He is also equipped with a teleportation mechanic (while in mid-air) that allows him to instantly travel to the nearest wall/block in the direction that he is facing. Paired with the screen-wrapping environment, this makes for some fun and interesting gameplay/puzzles.

Presented by SUPER 91 Studios of Seattle, WA, USA.

Director - Zack Bell
Producer - Alejandro Hitti
Pixel Artist - Hunter Russell
Concept Artist - Temmie Chang

« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 11:10:19 AM by SUPER 91 » Logged

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 01:24:38 PM »

Hecka rad teleport lines.

premonster
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 01:38:02 PM »

Now i want to teleport up/down (you might have a foe below a platform, can only reach by wrapping up).

Also, what happens if you loop?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 01:43:09 PM by premonster » Logged
SUPER 91
Level 0

Make games, not enemies.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 01:43:20 PM »

Hecka rad teleport lines.

Thank you, sir  Toast Right

Now i want to teleport up/down.

Also, what happens if you loop?

I went through some design iterations where you could teleport up/down. I mainly took it out because of a camera issue. Teleporting far distances made for a jerky camera. I decided to make single screen (wide) levels to combat this. The levels become more like towers. You either travel up or down. Only being able to teleport left and right made this the most interesting.

And if there isn't an adjacent wall to teleport to, it checks for a screen-wrap teleport. If there isn't either, you don't warp at all.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 03:33:05 PM »

Hey, this is pretty cool and could lead to some interesting puzzles. I loved Out There Somewhere, which had a similar mechanic to this game, though this is a lot faster. Nice work!

SUPER 91
Level 0

Make games, not enemies.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 08:15:15 AM »

Hey, this is pretty cool and could lead to some interesting puzzles. I loved Out There Somewhere, which had a similar mechanic to this game, though this is a lot faster. Nice work!

Hey, thanks! I appreciate that. Out There Somewhere was a neat game. I forgot about it (and surprisingly enough, it didn't inspire this). Maybe I should play it for a few ideas though.

Also, a few artists seem interested in giving this a shot!  Well, hello there!

SUPER 91
Level 0

Make games, not enemies.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2014, 12:40:09 PM »

Still no artist officially on board with this! Not to say that I haven't seen a few mock ups that I enjoy though.

Potential Boss Room

Cakeypigdog
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2014, 12:55:55 PM »

This looks great. Lovely idea.
louisdeb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2014, 01:21:35 PM »

Awesome mechanic, and look v polished already
SUPER 91
Level 0

Make games, not enemies.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2014, 02:11:36 PM »

This looks great. Lovely idea.

Awesome mechanic, and look v polished already

Thanks, dudes.

Collect Hidden Stuff

Nicholas Lives
Level 1

Catch of the Day

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2014, 03:20:05 PM »

Oh man, this looks like it's got great potential. Love the speedy-line effect you got goin' for the teleport, and the screen-wrap-as-mechanic idea is pretty ingenious. Can't wait to see this develop further! Definitely needs a strong style and setting to go with it though- something to help bring out the uniqueness in the mechanics.
denzgd
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2014, 03:35:01 PM »

This looks pretty fun! It reminds me of that mini-game in Super Smash Bros, called 'Break the Targets.' I'll be keeping an eye on this.

SUPER 91
Level 0

Make games, not enemies.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2014, 04:03:49 PM »

Oh man, this looks like it's got great potential. Love the speedy-line effect you got goin' for the teleport, and the screen-wrap-as-mechanic idea is pretty ingenious. Can't wait to see this develop further! Definitely needs a strong style and setting to go with it though- something to help bring out the uniqueness in the mechanics.

This looks pretty fun! It reminds me of that mini-game in Super Smash Bros, called 'Break the Targets.' I'll be keeping an eye on this.

A lot of positive feedback for a game with no art. I'm assuming that this is a good sign.  Hand Thumbs Up Right

Level 4

Cakeypigdog
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2014, 08:42:53 PM »

I think so! I wish I had time to colour it in for you but I don't have any capacity for unpaid work atm. I hope you get art for it that does it justice, it looks like a lot of fun.
Vadinci
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2014, 01:30:23 AM »

Here's some generic praise:
This looks really cool!

But really, this seems like it could be a lot of fun. I think that if you added some par mechanics, like the time par in Super Meat Boy, or something like in Dustforce where you can't break your combo (maybe kill all enemies without hitting a floor or something), you would create a lot of challenge for people to practice until they've perfected a level.

Also, can you teleport back and forth really quickly, or do you need to hit a surface first?
AleHitti
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2014, 04:32:25 AM »

Also, can you teleport back and forth really quickly, or do you need to hit a surface first?

You teleport to the nearest surface every time (or screen wrapped surface), so technically yes? The teleport happens to fast either way, so you wouldn't be able to pull off 2 teleports in mid air.

SUPER 91
Level 0

Make games, not enemies.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2014, 05:02:00 AM »

You teleport to the nearest surface every time (or screen wrapped surface), so technically yes? The teleport happens to fast either way, so you wouldn't be able to pull off 2 teleports in mid air.

He's right. What isn't clear from the gif(s) is that the teleport is a double jump replacement. It happens when you press "jump" again in mid-air and is instantaneous (this is somewhat hidden due to how the teleport-line messes with your eye). I also tried having an attack button which would let you teleport back and forth at will as well as teleport on ground. Personally, I didn't find it to be as fun or as interesting.

I hate responding to something without posting a new gif. Oh well.

EDIT:

Fixed
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 06:39:39 AM by StrangelyFamiliar » Logged

SUPER 91
Level 0

Make games, not enemies.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2014, 11:35:47 AM »

I was contacted by nine or ten artists now. Currently sorting through mockups, making deals, and seeing what I can/cannot afford. Updates soon.

I now have eight different block types. I want to introduce a new one in each world. I may have to cut a few to reduce the scope of the project, but we will see. Here is a preview of the switch blocks shown in the sample room from the OP.

Switch Blocks

SUPER 91
Level 0

Make games, not enemies.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2014, 10:09:47 AM »

I ("We" now?) will have an art reveal by the weekend! Wink
Perhaps, #screenshotsaturday-worthy.

And more game info in general.  Hand Thumbs Up Right

Ghost Blocks. Don't accidentally teleport through these!

sakuyo
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2014, 11:45:20 AM »

looks like it'll be really satisfying to play - the screen shake and teleport lines feel really good even just watching it. can't wait to see it with some art.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 37
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic