Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411493 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 07:13:27 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSUPER III Mobile
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 37
Print
Author Topic: SUPER III Mobile  (Read 93052 times)
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #580 on: September 13, 2014, 01:47:42 AM »

I'd make it a -littttttle- quicker but that's me. i really liked the instant camera but i do think that a litttttttttle easing is best. but just a tiny amount.

ink.inc
« Reply #581 on: September 13, 2014, 01:50:35 AM »

faster
Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #582 on: September 13, 2014, 02:15:51 AM »

Dang Zack, I actually really like the newest version :D

Ruxar
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #583 on: September 13, 2014, 02:38:43 AM »

Shit, spoke too soon. I tried a few more DUMs and found one that I don't hate. Thoughts?

Heaps Better

Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #584 on: September 13, 2014, 08:07:25 AM »

Why don't you snap that lerp value to a grid, better than infinite decimals (might it be a grid of 0.1)
Faster Faster
Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #585 on: September 13, 2014, 11:58:39 AM »

Thanks for all of the feedback, guys. I'll speed up that lerp within the hour, when I get back to my PC.

For now, I want to talk about some design stuff. The openness feels better than it did before, mostly due to the design tweaks. That's super cool, but it opens things up to other design changes. I'm really struggling with the purpose of the screen wrap at this point. It boils down to a bunch of short-range teleports and one charged shot every time you need to line up the camera to enter an enclosed area via screenwrap. Seems like a one-trick pony.

Which also scraps 90% of my boss ideas.

EDIT: I guess I can drop my ideas here, for now. The long distance teleport feels fine with the new camera, but it still needs to be nerfed by a small charge or reload period. The game could just focus on that. Fast-paced teleporting, with an emphasis on shortcuts created by the screen wrapping side effect. Bosses would just become more...Megaman? Which is fine.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 12:07:52 PM by Zack Bell » Logged

Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #586 on: September 13, 2014, 01:00:57 PM »

Better? It's 33% faster.

ALSO, another thought from the Rabbit-man. I had an issue RE: Comparing teleports to buster shots. In Megaman, you fire, and a bullet is created. From there, if you hold the button, you charge up for a bigger shot. On release, you shoot again. That doesn't feel as good for the teleport because you either A) have to commit to a short-range teleport every time you want to charge up, or B) you need to only teleport on key release and plan for a 1 frame delay. I HATE BOTH OF THESE. So the idea would be that whenever the teleport key/button is down, your character freezes in place. When you release, he teleports short or long depending on how long the key/button was held. This adds depth to the mechanic further because you can stop to think, dodge mid-air, etc.

Thoughts on that?

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #587 on: September 13, 2014, 01:07:25 PM »

maybe even a little faster? but this is near-perfect as it is

EDIT: the stopping mid-air thing is also great I think? but i'd have to play it/see it in action to confirm that.

honestly i think that having the more static up-down camera for towers/some bosses is fine, incidentally. don't scrap all of the cool boss ideas you had, just any that seem redundant

Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #588 on: September 13, 2014, 01:13:36 PM »

maybe even a little faster? but this is near-perfect as it is

EDIT: the stopping mid-air thing is also great I think? but i'd have to play it/see it in action to confirm that.

honestly i think that having the more static up-down camera for towers/some bosses is fine, incidentally. don't scrap all of the cool boss ideas you had, just any that seem redundant

Cool, thanks. I upped it from 4 to 3 (it's a division factor). And fuck it, I think I'm just going to upload a build tonight. SANDBOX FOR TESTERS!

TautNerve
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #589 on: September 13, 2014, 02:03:21 PM »

I think the latest screen scrolling is really good. Not too fast, not too slow, feels very precise.
Maybe try it out on a few other areas to make sure it really fits most of the scenarios? Though I think
you pretty much nailed it, it's fluid and responsive looking.

Let's tweet together:
@TautNerve
Play my games here:
Itch.io page
Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #590 on: September 13, 2014, 02:11:03 PM »

I think the latest screen scrolling is really good. Not too fast, not too slow, feels very precise.
Maybe try it out on a few other areas to make sure it really fits most of the scenarios? Though I think
you pretty much nailed it, it's fluid and responsive looking.

Yeah, I'm planning on uploading a small "here test the new shit in a small sandbox" build later tonight! For now, I'm programming user events to be called when objects are teleported through.

For example, during the frame after you long-distance teleport, all objects along the collision rectangle call an event if they are vulnerable to charged teleports. This event stuns, pushes, or kills them.

Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #591 on: September 13, 2014, 08:16:11 PM »

Ok, I will probably be uploading a variety of builds soon. This first one has the original control scheme w/ the new camera constraints.

I can post it as soon as I decide what to do in these two special cases.

Nothing in the viewport to teleport onto OR screenwrap teleport onto. My original thoughts are to just wrap around to the original position, killing everything in that line.

Nothing in the viewport to teleport to BUT a solid disrupts the screenwrap path.

In the meantime, I did get the screenwrap teleport + moving platform bugs out of there.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 08:29:02 PM by Zack Bell » Logged

SimplyRivet
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #592 on: September 13, 2014, 08:26:43 PM »

One way of handling these cases is having the player 'bounce' back at the point where the teleport meets the edge of the screen. That way it gives the player some visual feedback, and this could be applied to any future situation with an invalid teleportation.
Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #593 on: September 13, 2014, 08:29:55 PM »

One way of handling these cases is having the player 'bounce' back at the point where the teleport meets the edge of the screen. That way it gives the player some visual feedback, and this could be applied to any future situation with an invalid teleportation.

Hmm, I don't hate that. I'll give it a shot.

EDIT: Teleporting and NOT coming into contact with a solid feels BAD, UGLY, and GROSS. Going to try something new!

EDIT2: I've literally tried every variation at this point. Nothing aside from the original design "feels" good at all. Special cases make the only valid options lame and the vertical design that I previously used was specifically for mitigating those cases. At this point I feel like the original design should remain OR drop screen-wrap altogether.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 09:31:09 PM by Zack Bell » Logged

Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #594 on: September 13, 2014, 10:09:53 PM »

In other news, short-distance teleporting can also be cool. This would cut screen wrap from the picture.

migrafael
Level 3

Making games, two at a time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #595 on: September 14, 2014, 02:21:43 AM »

Lovely art and atmosphere. And the gameplay is just right for me. Not sure I already voted on it on Greenlight but will immediately. Keep updating and I'll keep watching.

((not so sure about the short distance teleports - let us know how that goes as well Tongue))

On STEAM ยป
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #596 on: September 14, 2014, 02:46:07 AM »

The short-distance teleports don't look like they would feel as good as the longer ones to me. Maybe have that distance go a bit farther if you're sticking with short distance ones?

Muzz
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #597 on: September 14, 2014, 04:21:11 AM »

Have you tried simply having a max teleport length? And don't have a hard stop, just have it peter out, like it ran out of energy?

SafetySnail
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #598 on: September 14, 2014, 05:55:18 AM »

If not having screenwrapping makes the overall game feel better, I'd say don't worry about it. If it fucks with your ideas for bosses, maybe a teleporter/portal type arrangement on the edges of the battle arena could fix it.
Those quick short teleports look interesting too. Would love to play to see how they all feel!
ink.inc
« Reply #599 on: September 14, 2014, 08:52:36 AM »

ps god bless matt thorson
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 37
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic