Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:55:15 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallAphrodisias
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Aphrodisias  (Read 2429 times)
TheBlackMask
Level 2

View Profile
« on: December 30, 2008, 03:14:12 PM »

Download Aphrodisias

Aphrodisias is a small experiment in creating a game using nothing but a 20×20 pixel room. It’s pretty bland as far as gameplay goes, but the focus really isn’t on that. Every time you finish a level, a screenshot is taken of your 20×20 level and uploaded to the web. Each image is added to part of a bigger image, creating a sort of collaborative collage.

I’m not sure I’m 100% done with this yet, as I would like to add more options to customize the images produced, such as color selection, so updates are not entirely impossible.

LEFT and RIGHT ARROWS - Move
Z KEY - Shoot
SPACE - Upload Current Screen
laserghost
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 03:37:38 PM »

It's an interesting experiment. I could do without the flashing, though. To be honest, I imagine the collaborative image will just turn out looking like random static. It's cool to see my screenshot appear on that webpage. It's a nice, easy to use system for that.
Natso
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 04:11:19 PM »

*whistle

Yeaaaaaaah.

Anyways, interesting concept, reminds me of the collective concious project I saw a while back...  (with the image being generated by all of the visitors)

- Natso

Home is where my power chord is.
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 07:48:20 PM »

Hrm, I don't think my image made it into the site. Nonetheless, it's a great idea! The game itself was quite an experience, though, to tell the truth, I had little idea of what was going on. Also, I don't think that the tiny representation does justice to the game screen.

Well, good work for a very interesting concept.

increpare
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 03:17:16 AM »

but the focus really isn’t on that.
What is your focus?

Sound would have been nice in some ways.

If you stay in the same place and do nothing, things get pretty slow pretty quickly.

Flickering did lessen the effect of visible feedback. I'm not sure how to square the static screenshot that you put weight on with the ultra-flickery nature of the in-game experience.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic