Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 06:02:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopPixel art , various WIPs and stuff
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Pixel art , various WIPs and stuff  (Read 14671 times)
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2014, 08:20:07 PM »

^ That's a great edit, keo.

Also, great work, Zanhuf. Looks really smooth and detailed!

Zanhuf
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2014, 03:30:52 AM »

here's an edit
i lowered one of the frames a few pixels to smooth out the loop
and made the head move less pixels because it was a bit goofy

another thing I would do, is have the tail more horizontal throughout the frames, rather than lift up like that.
he is constantly moving after all.  generally people loop scarfs, hair, tails in the motion of a sine wave.

Will apply your advice in my next edit! Out of curiosity, what frame(S) did you lower? It's not immediately clear in your edit apologies. Could it be the one where all 4 legs are up in the air?

Here's my attempt at a uh, rider:

« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 06:17:55 AM by Zanhuf » Logged
clockwrk_routine
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2014, 06:19:38 AM »

It was the last frame when both legs are off the ground.  yea a few pixels can make a big difference, if you ever notice your animations seem to hiccup in places just try flipping through the frames and shifting the problem frame.
Zanhuf
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2014, 02:07:05 PM »

I increased the size of the horse, decreased the size of the rider and tried to show the jowls/cheek.

clockwrk_routine
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2014, 10:16:34 PM »

Hand Thumbs Up Left  looks pretty solid
should lower that last frame another pixel or two, still getting kind of a stutter/hiccup there.
standardcombo
Level 8

><)))°>

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2014, 02:24:32 AM »

Man that horse came a long way since the 1st version. These characters look really cool.

Zanhuf
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2014, 04:59:19 AM »

Man that horse came a long way since the 1st version. These characters look really cool.

Thanks! I appreciate it.

Hand Thumbs Up Left  looks pretty solid
should lower that last frame another pixel or two, still getting kind of a stutter/hiccup there.

Done! Also included is my attempt at what an attack animation would look like (ended up changing spear):

edit:

A smaller update, made outline consistant.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 02:09:55 PM by Zanhuf » Logged
Zanhuf
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2014, 07:15:49 AM »

Back to humans (and other stuff) for now:

Not much of an update, but there it is. Haven't finished the wolf attack, not sure where to go with it.
Zanhuf
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2014, 01:33:42 PM »

Amonster other things, i changed the wolf, made it look like it was actually snapping, rather than just lunging forwards with it's mouth open.

And i also changed the angle and direction of the slash, so it's coming from the tip of the sword.

Tried changing the zombie to add more impact to it's attack as well.

Also Here's my attempt at a running animation:

Just focusing on the run first, rather than the bounce it's supposed to have.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 01:48:50 PM by Zanhuf » Logged
Zanhuf
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2014, 04:44:45 AM »

Here's my new and updated running animation:

Hopefully it actually resembles someone running this time!

Edit:

Attack + Run animation combined:

« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 01:08:43 PM by Zanhuf » Logged
Zanhuf
« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2014, 12:26:48 PM »

Updated attacks for one-handed and two-handed attacks:

Hopefully they have more impact behind them.
Zanhuf
« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2014, 10:37:00 AM »

Been reworking my walking animation:

For comparison here is the previous version:

Currently 8-frames.

I feel there's something wrong or "off" with it, but i really can't pinpoint what at this stage.

Better version here:

« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 12:38:08 PM by Zanhuf » Logged
standardcombo
Level 8

><)))°>

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2014, 01:33:11 PM »

The arms are stiff, there's no shoulder or hip movement.

Zanhuf
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2014, 01:23:15 AM »

The arms are stiff, there's no shoulder or hip movement.

Thanks for pointing this out. I'm decent with static anatomy, but when it comes to animating and anatomy i fail.

I tried editing it with your words in mind, only did one arm so far, but i tried to move the hips up and down. I'm guessing i also need to rotate the hips, but im not sure how to do so.

Edit:

Now with both arms moving!

« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 02:13:51 AM by Zanhuf » Logged
clockwrk_routine
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2014, 03:09:15 AM »

standardcombos point, was that when you walk your chest rotates opposite to your hips.  the problem is in your animation, your hips and shoulders don't move out of place.  they should translate on the x axis over time.  which will end up also translating the whole limb.

just focus on those shoulders and focus on those hips.  well it's actually kind of subtle in this how much the hip moves.   but it's moving.
Zanhuf
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2014, 06:48:39 AM »

standardcombos point, was that when you walk your chest rotates opposite to your hips.  the problem is in your animation, your hips and shoulders don't move out of place.  they should translate on the x axis over time.  which will end up also translating the whole limb.

just focus on those shoulders and focus on those hips.  well it's actually kind of subtle in this how much the hip moves.   but it's moving.

Thanks!

Tried moving the hips more to imply movement:

Is this any better? Or is it still bad?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 07:44:19 AM by Zanhuf » Logged
clockwrk_routine
« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2014, 08:12:55 AM »

it's better
heads better too
standardcombo
Level 8

><)))°>

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2014, 01:39:31 AM »

Its gotten way better.

Sorry for not going into specifics about the animation but as I'm not a pro animator I decided to stop at identification of the problem.

Depending on the personality of the character this movement would vary. Stiff arms could be ok for some kind of warrior carrying something heavy, or a body builder type. But there would still be a little bit of movement. In terms of rotation, I imagine the chest and hips rotating a bit around the Y axis.

What's your production timeline like? Something you have to take into account is that if you spend too much time polishing the walk, other animations will feel left behind. In my opinion achieving homogeneous quality is the way to go.

Zanhuf
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2014, 01:29:15 AM »

Its gotten way better.

Sorry for not going into specifics about the animation but as I'm not a pro animator I decided to stop at identification of the problem.

Depending on the personality of the character this movement would vary. Stiff arms could be ok for some kind of warrior carrying something heavy, or a body builder type. But there would still be a little bit of movement. In terms of rotation, I imagine the chest and hips rotating a bit around the Y axis.

What's your production timeline like? Something you have to take into account is that if you spend too much time polishing the walk, other animations will feel left behind. In my opinion achieving homogeneous quality is the way to go.

Don't worry, it's cool!

I don't mind if i have to spend a bit extra on this and other animations; i want to get them right, but i see what you mean about ensuring quality is consistant.

Update:

I'm still having issues in regards to the perspective, so i've been working on it:

First is a straight on view, the middle two are the original perspectives. 1 = Update 2 = Original and the last is a side on view.

I hope the update conveys the perspective, since i'm at a loss as to what to do, especially with the chest and hips. I tried shading them to look like they're turned, but i can't escape from the fact that they look like they're being seen in a straight on view.
Zanhuf
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2014, 12:50:10 PM »

Here's an update:

Ended up choosing 1.

My attempt at animating the one-handed attack with the perspective fixed:

Comparison to the previous version:

Not sure if it's any better or any worse.

Here's another quick update:

Two-handed attack following the fixed perspective:

And the previous version for comparison:

I'm hoping it looks just as good as the previous version (although i am aware there's not much noticable difference), otherwise i fear having altered the perspective would be redundant and a waste of time. I probably have the arms wrong, but it'll take some time to get used to it.

Updated walk animation:

Again, not sure if it's any better this time.

Here's the previous for comparison:

« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 01:44:29 PM by Zanhuf » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic