Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 03:09:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsThe Late Entries Thread (Make Games for Cool Compos Long Past)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Late Entries Thread (Make Games for Cool Compos Long Past)  (Read 12668 times)
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« on: December 31, 2008, 03:20:29 AM »

So TIGS has had some really sweet compo's over the years, and a lot of us never got to partake in them for a variety of reasons (a lot of us just weren't here; I actually found this site because of the VGNG compo).  I remember awhile when talking about new compos some TIGers even wanted to have, say, B-Games 2 just so that they could try that cool compo idea.

So I figure why not just make games for the compos we wished we'd been able to enter?  There's nothing stopping us, and I think it would be good fun (as we're making games on a topic we want to make games on).

My current game would have fit nicely in the Procedural Generation Compo, so I guess it'll be my late entry to that.

HOLY SHIT GUYS LETS ALL GO MAKE B-GAMES!!!  :D :D :D

...sorry  Panda
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 07:44:56 AM »

Interesting idea. The thing about compos though is the fact that everybody is doing things on the same theme, there's more cotivation because everybody's into it and checking out stuff. It's another atmosphere you don't usually get just from working on something by yourself.

That's why most people ask to repeat the best compos, because they'd get that kind of atmosphere again around here.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 12:36:29 PM »

Wasn't it decided that the B-Games compo was going to be annual?

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 12:02:19 AM »

Wasn't it decided that the B-Games compo was going to be annual?
Huh, really?  I guess I haven't been in the "recommend compos" thread for awhile, so I guess I missed that.

I agree about the atmosphere; ahh well...
Slash - Santiago Zapata
The White Knight
Level 4

Java/Javascript Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 08:58:22 AM »

I would be eager to participate in the bootleg demakes compo, if I had the time

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 09:07:04 AM »

I have in the past thought about making a VGNG game a month or something, or a new b-game. This is a cool idea IMO.

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 09:54:48 AM »

I still want to do something for the PGC compo.

Lucaz
Level 6

Indier than thou

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 10:33:55 AM »

I was ponderng doing a game for each compo I couldn't enter (meaning, each one of them). So if a bunch of people decide to do the same, it'd be awesome.

Laremere
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 12:50:34 PM »

Just make the next one follow all the rules of past compos, and there you go.  I don't think any rules contradict each other.

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, is sound_tree_fall.play() called?

"Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom."
-Albert Einstein
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 06:22:18 PM »

A procedurally generated bootleg demake text adventure B-game with a generated name?

nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 08:36:08 PM »

The demakes compo is such a good idea that it should probably be repeated every year. So long as companies keep making games, we will have source material.

Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 09:37:17 PM »

A compo where the goal is to make a game that fits into at least two of the categories of previous TIGS compos?

Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2009, 06:01:38 AM »

A compo where the goal is to make a game that fits into at least two of the categories of previous TIGS compos?

I keep trying to promote this. Idea gels very well with me.

WAIT: Oops, not really. I was thinking more of a "cover version" compo, where you'd take someone else's old entry and re-do it in another style. But a compo-mix compo would also be kinda cool.
Nulldorf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2009, 09:37:24 AM »

Reading the word compo so many times gets me excited. When will the next one (of any flavor) start?

I want in.
Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2009, 09:40:52 AM »

Reading the word compo so many times gets me excited.

compo compo compo compo compo

Quote from: Nulldorf
  Epileptic
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 09:44:31 AM by YMM » Logged

GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2009, 05:48:56 PM »

Great idea YMM! (and Gainsworthy!)

And since when did this topic become active again; I'd already hit the point of feeling stupid for creating it and letting the idea fall by the wayside.  :D
Zaphos
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2009, 08:48:40 AM »

And since when did this topic become active again; I'd already hit the point of feeling stupid for creating it and letting the idea fall by the wayside.  :D
Hey, I liked the original idea!  I still have a bunch of games for old compos bouncing around.  Actually, A Tale of Two Santas was going to be my Text the Halls Entry ... although it might be a bit hard to see how it relates to IF now ...
GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2009, 08:58:34 PM »

Hey, I liked the original idea!  I still have a bunch of games for old compos bouncing around.  Actually, A Tale of Two Santas was going to be my Text the Halls Entry ... although it might be a bit hard to see how it relates to IF now ...
Sounds neat!  Glad to hear you liked the idea, too.
Dayv
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2009, 03:07:54 AM »

...sorry   Panda

What for?

I discovered the site through the VGNG compo abour 3 days before it was due to finish and never got to write "Virtua Walrus".  I did find the time to do a Bootleg Demake entry but never found the inspiration in the Commonplace Book theme (gz to all the guys who did though).  I think the the fulfilling 2 previous criteria would be cool (however tenuously you justify it).  I reckon there must be quite a few people who, several months on, have daydreamed what their entry to one of the previous compos would have been.

The late entry idea is so cool.  It's the best idea since sliced bread apart from individually packaged, ready buttered, slices of bread.

It would great to have a spot on TIGSource for people to post their late entries.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic