Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 05:17:27 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsEven the Stars
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Even the Stars  (Read 16202 times)
Pol
Level 1

yee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2014, 03:09:13 AM »

I didn't know this one at all but there sure is an air :>

}-=\\\',«º> Dev+artblog · Home on the web · @PolClarissou <º».\\\'=-{
Pol
Level 1

yee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2014, 03:19:42 PM »

Announcement time !

With the submissions deadline of Fantastic Arcade and Strasbourg closing in, I'll release an alpha - almost - beta version of the game, featuring a (semi-procedural !) soundtrack by the awesome Wounds - you can already get an idea of what it sounds like here.

Expect this pre-release somewhen between tomorrow and the day after :>

poe
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2014, 03:37:55 PM »

~~progress report~~

I've finally implemented the endgame map, it still needs work on making it as readable as possible but I'm getting there.

Don't mind the placeholder text :>
The player is also able to save a high resolution screenshot of this map (that is, if they don't use IE...).

Building all this has been kind of a hassle and now I'm really really short on time. I won't probably have time to add features from now on except from the sound system and, if it all goes well, wormholes. There's still lotsa polish to do.

I saw this screen and it inspired me to dick around with some stuff, thought I would let you know Smiley

(If it ever gets done the game will be extremely different from what you have, though currently it looks very similar to your screen)
Pol
Level 1

yee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2014, 04:46:34 AM »

Cool ! I took a look at it on your twitter, I'm curious to see what you do of it. Keep me updated !

Pol
Level 1

yee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2014, 03:34:36 PM »

////////////////////////////////
BETA VERSION RELEASED AND FREE TO TEST
////////////////////////////////
Please send feedback :>

This version still lacks sounds for the menu and the ending screen, these will be added shortly.

zproc
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2014, 06:02:55 PM »

Hi !

Saw a screenshot of the game on twitter and then more on your tumblr.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE the art style of it! (Also SPACE)

I tried the game out but i have a problem, i don't know if i'm the only one with it, at the beginning, after having typed "warp", i cannot enter any number, only text. Numbers just don't display/input. I have a Laptop (Macbook) and my additional keyboard doesn't have a keypad either... i don't know if it could be related to the problem...

I can't wait to the test it more Smiley
flap
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2014, 11:01:11 PM »

Hello pol.
I am affraid that there is a game breaking bug : after my first jump, I always am out of fuel. Is it intended ?

Otherwise, good job. I'd like to see more !
Pol
Level 1

yee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2014, 01:51:18 AM »

@flap oh crap, that wes a debug setup I forgot to reset, fixing it.

@zproc I don't know if I'll be able to fix this, I don't have any mac aroud to test what works (on a PC both the upper numbers and the keypad are regognized). I'll see what I can do.

@SnakeCoiler I talked about this with Even the Ocean's dev, he said he was okay with our games having similar names since they're actually very different. It still bothers me a bit but I haven't come up with anything better so I'm keeping Even the Stars.

Pol
Level 1

yee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2014, 02:04:50 AM »

FIXED, thanks again flap for noticing me :3

flap
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2014, 05:56:31 AM »

Ah, it is good to try that new version and try that new map feature. I see that you have added new textures for the planets (before we could follow "trails" when exploring).

Two thougts :
- Do we need to confirm that we want to leave a note ? Removing that step would require step less.
- Also, I was missing the possibility of writting question marks...

I like that it takes less turns now to passe out. However, fuel if of no use anymore. So maybe could you get rid of it, or make its use proportional of distance crossed...
Pol
Level 1

yee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2014, 03:26:32 PM »

soft-launched a page for Even the Stars with a

, & submitted the beta to Fantastic Arcade !
New build w/ some new tracks comming tomorrow !

Pol
Level 1

yee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2014, 03:32:16 PM »

@flap I pondered whether or not to ask for confirmation before writing a log but I was afraid it'd be unclear what the player is actually doing without this confirmation, or it would have needed an explanation on the same screen as the one you write the log on, but I was afraid some players would hit enter because they'd think they had to confirm and... Long put short I wanted to keep it clear and all, and that seemed like the best bet.
I also wanted to make fuel use proportionnal to the distance but considering how the distance is displayed within the game, players don't actually have a clear idea how far the warp point is when they enter coordinates, so it'd feel a bit frustrating imo.
I'll see about the question mark :)

Pol
Level 1

yee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2014, 05:58:08 AM »

Update with new sounds and fixes is now live > http://polclarissou.com/eventhestars/ :I

oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2014, 10:14:16 AM »

I saw Ever the Stars covered on Rock Paper Shotgun and I just started my second game.

Disembarked at some standing stones. Accidentally hit enter before typing in my selection and my eyes closed and stayed closed. When I hit enter I open my eyes for a second before closing them without the option for text input. Hit escape to exit full screen and now when I click back into the game the game is just a black screen with no response to any keys.

My first game I discovered a Museum. Then I found a Space Saloon and wandered empty streets. I found an Ancient Artifact and felt wise, then small then I died. I visited many uninhabited planets in between. It was serene.

This game is wonderful.
Pol
Level 1

yee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2014, 10:21:24 AM »

Thanks for reporting this bug, I've never encountered it but maybe it has to do with the fullscreen, I'll run some tests. Thanks for the kind words also :3

By the way y'all, don't hesitate to share your maps under the #eventhestarsgame hashtag after your game if you feel like it !

oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2014, 01:49:47 PM »

So really strange. I left the game running in the background because I enjoy the soundtrack so much. Last I had checked it was still just giving me a black screen. Went to lunch with my girlfriend and Cheese Importers for amazing cheese, bread and olives. I got back a couple hours later and clicked back to the game's tab, having forgotten it was still running. It's back to normal and waiting for me with asdf1 on the screen from when I was trying to get it to respond.

For all I know it was only hanging for five minutes before responding again. Not sure how much help this is but I figured I'd mention it in case it's somehow useful.

Anyway, off to make a Standing Stones journal entry!

UPDATE:

OK SO. Jumped back in, erased the asdf1 that was still sitting in the text field, typed in stay, to leave a journal entry and instead of asking about a journal entry the game just reverted back to waiting for me to type in "stay - leave". Except the blinking "_" had doubled. In fact anything I type in is doubled. Here's a screenshot of the word "goodness" (which I admittedly misspelled in my haste to grab a screen shot.)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 02:06:05 PM by oyog » Logged
Pol
Level 1

yee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2014, 02:21:17 PM »

That's...... Really weird I guess ? What platform are you running on ?

The black screen might come from a bug unity's web player encounters some times, happened to a friend of mine on another game : it wouldn't show up until she'd scroll or resize the window. Hope it helps.
The other bug though is super strange, I see where it might come from but it's... Just not supposed to possibly happen unless unity itself screws up somewhere.

oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2014, 02:28:00 PM »

I'm running Firefox on Windows 7 and Unity version 4.3.5.32006.

It seems the "eyes closed" bug is reproducible for me by simply disembarking somewhere (I've only tried it at a landmark so far) and then hitting enter instead of "stay" or "leave".

Also, just noticed I got the name of your game wrong in my initial post. Whoops!  Embarrassed

Pol
Level 1

yee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2014, 02:37:45 PM »

I just tried and I can't reproduce the bug myself, hitting enter with an empty log simply displays an error message as it should (command not recognized)  ._.
I just don't know.

oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2014, 04:26:24 PM »

Interestingly when I play in Chrome I get the "command not recognized" message instead of the bug. On the other hand the game I just finished in Chrome only gave me the "test test test test lalala" text instead of the diary stuff on the final map.

I think I downloaded a haunted version of Unity.  Shocked
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic