Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411414 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 10:29:40 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsEven the Stars
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: Even the Stars  (Read 16197 times)
jamesP
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2014, 12:07:31 PM »

Hey, came here from PC gamer after playing the current online version - I really liked it! I love the loneliness and majesty of the world(s) you've created - it evokes space and wandering perfectly. There are so many things in here that I wouldn't have considered in my own games - text parser input, zero guidance over the huge potential of those coordinates, incredibly minimal text - but when you put them all together here they work so, so well. The atmosphere is perfect.

Sadly my laptop overheated just when I was getting old, and I'm not sure I dare give it another try, so my maiden voyage was cut short. XD

My only suggestion, I guess, is to flesh out some of the interactions? It would be good if finding a fun park played out a little differently to finding a tree or a spaceship. But then, maybe you don't want to do that and the whole point is just to arrive, look, and leave, and to do anything more would ruin the minimalism. And after all, it does sometimes say "You feel wise", which really got to me despite being only three words.

Oh, and the first time I saw a moon around a planet I wanted to visit it - you could always make moons explorable, but that seems like a lot of work for pretty much zero gain?

You'll find my blog at james-patton.net
Pol
Level 1

yee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2014, 01:40:25 PM »

Hi, thanks for the cute words :D Also sorry about the overheat issue, I tend not to care to much about performance when I develop my games, I should work a bit on that.
I hear you about the interactions, but as it's already been discussed a few times, I wanna keep a balance between the simplicity/emptyness of the graphics, the basic controls and the text's precision - and also keep it very detached, with undertones of monotony and deception. I am, however, planning on making these interactions more specific to the places you visit so that it feels less arbitrary.

I've also started actually thinking about seting up some network magic so that engame logs can actually be discovered by other players. Concretely I don't know how to do that nor how to include it within the game (something to do with the radio maybe ?), but a friend of mine said it wouldn't be too hard to set it up technically so... I'll see how it goes !
Yet currently I've already started another project and kinda left Even the Stars aside, I need a lil' break  (✿◡‿◡)

}-=\\\',«º> Dev+artblog · Home on the web · @PolClarissou <º».\\\'=-{
oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2014, 09:36:15 PM »

I've also started actually thinking about seting up some network magic so that engame logs can actually be discovered by other players.

Just imagine discovering a landmark and being given the choice of writing a diary entry or letting the game randomly choose another player's entry. In theory that would be super cool but in reality, if I know the internet, it would probably result in a lot of diary entries of "8==o~~~" and "( o )( o )".

Yet currently I've already started another project and kinda left Even the Stars aside, I need a lil' break  (✿◡‿◡)

Personally, I think Even the Stars is fantastic as it is. In case I don't catch your next game, good luck! =D
Pol
Level 1

yee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: September 22, 2014, 09:19:20 AM »

I'm bringing this thread back to life to announce that Even the Stars will be showcased at the EGX Leftfield Collection at the end of the week (25->28 sept, London)!

I'll be there myself on saturday and will also attend the Wild Rumpus party if you wanna say hi :>

YM
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: September 22, 2014, 12:59:58 PM »

oooh totally gunna hunt this down and take a look :D
Gavan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2015, 12:24:23 PM »

Even the Stars got into the final eight of the student showcase at IGF! Shieeeet.

http://igf.com/2015/01/2015_independent_games_festiva_2.html

Congrats Pol.

Pol
Level 1

yee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2015, 04:46:39 PM »

Yes!!!! :D
I forgot to post in this thread about it, hehe.
Anyway that means I'll attend the GDC, so if some of you are going as well don't hesitate to come hit up if you want to~

Pol
Level 1

yee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2015, 06:59:03 PM »

Hey everyone, I've put together a new build for the game with few improvements and need some people to test it - mostly the mac and linux versions, since I can't test them myself. If you fancy, grab a file here and report any bug you encounter! http://polclarissou.com/temp/ETSwips/

flap
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 27, 2015, 04:43:04 AM »

Hey, I'll give it a try.

Also, my sentence generator is done operational. No I need to create some content, that could fit with Even the Stars if you are interested.
Pol
Level 1

yee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2015, 09:45:23 AM »

Hey Flap, as much as your generator is very interesting, I don't intend to put much more work on Even the Stars - I've moved on to new projects, and only came back to EtS to polish the few bits that still really annoyed me. I just don't feel like adding any important feature now :I
Still, your generator is pretty rad & elaborate, I'm sure there are a lot of interesting ways you - or anyone - could use it!

Pol
Level 1

yee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2015, 09:53:26 AM »

Anyway the update is now live!
web - itch.io

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Jump to: