Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411516 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 07:40:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsVale - Turn Based RPG - 9 Classes, 16 Enemies
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Vale - Turn Based RPG - 9 Classes, 16 Enemies  (Read 5847 times)
yaomon17
Level 1

https://twitter.com/YaomonKS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2015, 08:25:15 PM »

I'm a necromancer!

Yes this is still going on Tongue

Quick copy paste of part of the video desc.
This is the preview of the Adventure mode inspired by games like FTL, Space Rogue and Convoy. Each beacon has a random event and battle, and you pick a class to traverse through the beacons to reach the boss. The stat and skill gains are random.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 02:50:59 PM by yaomon17 » Logged

SunWuKong
Level 5

Help me, help you.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2015, 09:50:15 PM »

Looks great! Following this one!

-Tim

yaomon17
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2015, 03:05:15 PM »

Looks great! Following this one!

-Tim
Thanks!
Enemy portraits for the new Vs. Screen:

Preview of enemy variants!

marcgfx
Level 8

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2015, 01:20:43 PM »

neither the dropbox link on the first page, nor the youtube link a few posts up are working. I managed to find a vale youtube video on youtube though.

I really like the animation and character styles.
I found the text a little bit much, while watching the youtube video. it is kind of hard to read, but maybe its not that relevant.
currently the strategic options look very limited. as its just one single character, how are you going to make the game interesting?

Is it an arena type game, or is there something besides the battles?

yaomon17
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2015, 03:00:14 PM »

Whoops, my b  Tongue. A lot of stuff to keep track of.
Basically you select a class and fight monsters.
 Going more in depth, you earn gold and XP with every fight. Gold can be used to purchase stats (Health, Mana, Attack, Spell Power) as well as Health and Mana Potions. Each class has different scaling on abilities, some scaling off Attack and some off Spell Power and some off Health too. Skills are bought with XP vary widely and are universal for every class e.g there is a skill that does extra damage every time you hit the enemy, so you would want to rank up this skill with classes that have multi hit moves.
There are 2 solo modes so far, Campaign and Adventure. Adventure is like 1 sector of FTL where you jump from beacon to beacon and earn random skills. It is kind of like Pokemon's battle system mixed with FTL.
Campaign is where you fight as many monsters as you want before challenging the final boss. You can select your skills and go for the ideal build to beat the boss. However, the less amount of battles you do before facing the boss, the higher your score will be so there is a balance between that.

marcgfx
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2015, 02:19:05 AM »

So the strategic part is the purchase part before the battle? do you know who you will fight next, so you can make the best choice? gaining random skill will also make it interesting, but balancing the skills will probably be quite hard.

I'm just asking, because I did find a lot of the battles in games like Final Fantasy to be a waste of time, as they got rather repetitive. But the boss fights were sometimes very clever, e.g. one of your party needed to be on the brink of death for the boss to take any damage. So you had to first find a strategy on how to beat the boss, finding the strategy was the enjoyable part for me.

I also liked characters where you had to input a combo (like in streetfighter 2), as you could mess things up, but were rewarded on success.

yaomon17
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2015, 10:09:11 AM »

A lot of the strategy goes into finding new and optimal builds with skills in campaign and buying proper stats to match the skills you did get in adventure. There is some strategy in battle as well since enemies are different (one does more damage with less HP so you want to burst it down from half, another one does tons of damage but takes passive damage every turn so you would want to stall and heal etc.)

yaomon17
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2015, 08:57:23 PM »

Finished adding in the last 2 enemies today. Also got all the enemy variations done making for a total of 17 unique enemies and a total of 51 possible encounters! Lots of work but lots of payoff in the satisfaction of seeing the enemies in actions, even if the game is not big right now Tongue

marcgfx
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2015, 02:31:05 AM »

Is that a terrifying wishing well? looks awesome Smiley

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic