Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 06:00:55 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallTobias and the Dark Sceptres - Released after 13 years
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Author Topic: Tobias and the Dark Sceptres - Released after 13 years  (Read 36253 times)
AdamButcher
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: June 30, 2014, 05:15:34 AM »

After killing those shadow creatures I need to see a red sign above that portal thingy, however, I can't see it.
My bad - that's a glitch. The "red sign" is a 3D object that doesn't appear on some computers. Here's the fix:

-Check in  C:/Windows/ and see if there's a file there called Tobias3Dfile.fdb
-If there isn't, you can find a copy of it back in your Tobias folder: Data/Tobias3Dfile.fdb . Just copy it over.
-The other problem would be if your Windows is mapped to a different letter than "C:/". If it is, make an empty C:/Windows/ folder and put Tobias3Dfile.fdb in there.

If that doesn't solve it, I made a cheatcode for this one level: press 5 on the Number Pad, and make sure Num Lock is on.

Limmu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 30, 2014, 05:55:43 AM »

I followed all the instructions and sadly I had to use the cheatcode. Hopefully you'll find another way to fix it, but thanks for the help anyway, was stuck around there for about 2 days before I figured I'd ask you Smiley
TwiiK
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 30, 2014, 11:31:34 AM »

Finally beat chapter 11 and straight into another boss. That was uncalled for. :p

This was the amount of health I had left when I completed chapter 11:

Doubt I'll try chapter 12 anytime soon. Smiley
Tsagu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 30, 2014, 03:25:40 PM »

Got the game and I thoroughly enjoy it. Is there anyway I can record it with say Fraps?

I used Fraps myself to make the trailer, just had to turn on the Monitor Aero Desktop. Have fun! Hand Any KeySmiley

Sadly I am using Windows 8.1, and I don't have Aero (DWM) so I am unable to record Sad
SporklyInquisition
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 02, 2014, 12:50:58 PM »

Came here 'cause of Pat Rothfuss, downloaded the game 'cause it sounds like it could be awesome.  Looking forward to giving it a shot!
Virtu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 02, 2014, 01:04:32 PM »

I watched your video on the making of this game and I must say I truly admire your long lasting effort to make your dream game a reality! It's just amazing how you've managed to keep motivated to release it and adapt to changes. I am definitely going to play it soon!

Again, kudos to you on your accomplishment and, on top of that, on making the "The Game that Time Forgot" video, which many aspiring indie devs shall learn several valuable lessons from.
Cheers!

AxBattler
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: July 03, 2014, 02:06:49 AM »

Awesome video! I have to try the game now!  Smiley

@APantaloni | Currently working on: Exgenesis | Out now: Avoid Sensory Overload | www.48hstudio.com
apebeast
Level 0

Indie game designer making high quality games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: July 03, 2014, 02:52:59 PM »

Tobias is the game of the year! Woot woot!  Hand Clap

AdamButcher
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: July 04, 2014, 02:41:28 AM »

Grin Lovely feedback guys.

Came here 'cause of Pat Rothfuss,
Cool! Where'd he mention it?

Let's Plays
There's been quite a few, which is amazing. If you don't care about spoilers, WhattayaBrian just finished the game:
Let's Play Tobias and the Dark Sceptres
Well done! Coffee

ChoinHeap
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: July 04, 2014, 04:27:53 PM »

The trailer is what I call damn good marketing since it avoids the problem of irrelevancy by actually addressing it. Noir Just great overall message, editing, humor and relating. Dling the game.
CologneCarter
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 05, 2014, 11:48:50 AM »

I watched the video about making your game and I have to say, I'm glad you saw it through.

Unfortunately I am not going to play the game. This is for the simple reason that it passed me by. Back when the simple NES was new, I was thrilled. I loved what this new technology could do to entertain. I simply couldn't get enough and went after every new game, went from NES to Amiga to PC and kept on going... until I had enough. One day it simply stopped. It didn't captivate me anymore. But then, I am now 4 times the ages you were when you started to develop that game. I am from a different generation altogether. In the end I'd rather be entertained sitting in an armchair and reading a book than staring at a monitor clicking a mouse or toggling a joystick.

Anyway, from what the video showed, back than I would have been captivated until I solved it.
FoxMari
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 20, 2014, 06:15:19 AM »

This is an awesome game but I can't play it, I've a PC with Windows 8.1
AdamButcher
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: July 22, 2014, 02:01:44 AM »

This is an awesome game but I can't play it, I've a PC with Windows 8.1

There's some advice for this earlier on the forum. Let me know if it works, or doesn't!

I got it working on Win8 by running the compatibility wizard.  I used recommended settings, told it it didn't work and when it gave me more options I checked them all and then when I clicked test it worked.

*update* better instructions
right click 'tobias and the dark scepters.exe'
select properties
select compatibility tab
click 'run this program in compatibility mode for:'
select Windows XP Service Pack 3
Check the box 'run this program as administrator'
click ok

now you should be good to go on windows 8 - I played at least 3 screens. alt+f4 to exit :-)

**update** more info
set the same settings on settings.exe

Also make sure you have UAC turned on before you install.  Turning UAC off is just about the worst thing you can do on Vista upwards because it will break old programs.  UAC being on allows the program to 'fake write' to parts of the OS that will be blocked when UAC is turned off (this is known as UAC virtualization).

SheepBroadcast
TIGBaby

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: September 08, 2014, 09:21:05 AM »

Hello!

I got here by clicking the Forum link on the official site for Tobias and the Dark Sceptres, and thought it would be the appropriate place for this. Hopefully it is.

I have a YouTube channel and I just posted Episode 1 of my playthrough of the game, and would really appreciate the feedback or even just the watch, thanks! =)

Episode 1:

Episode 2 is up! ^^

Episode 3 is released as well. =) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LXson65BcE
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 10:09:33 AM by SheepBroadcast » Logged

DebrisHauler
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 28, 2014, 07:46:36 PM »

Just beat this today, and I really have to say that it was a miserable experience. It was buggy in almost every way possible and absolutely unplayable without the puzzlesolver.exe. Icfrequently to reset the game when something happens like you can't jump anymore, or Tobias has moved off screen forever. Some of the solutions to puzzles are so stupid and they are without some badly needed hints. Other times you do the right thing but the game just didn't seem to care/register what you've done, and you waste an hour thinking of another solution until you pull up puzzlesolver.exe and find you had done the right thing ages ago. There is absolutely no way anybody can beat the final boss not on easy. I also just played the entire game on easy, because dying is punished waaaaay to hard with the scarce save points and painfully long boss cycles. I'm not saying the game was difficult. It was just frustrating because most of my failures were due to the game being broken or hits on me being far from fair rather than me messing up.
Korwin
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 29, 2016, 09:05:28 PM »

Tobias and the Dark Sceptres is an epic platforming puzzle-adventure, 13 years in the making.
I would feel like I got my money's worth if I had bought this for 10 bucks or what the usual asking price for indie games is on steam.
+1 - when the game appears on the Greenlight?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic