Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411522 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 04:05:27 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingNUD
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: NUD  (Read 2627 times)
th15
Level 0

-

View Profile WWW
NUD
« on: January 02, 2009, 02:08:34 AM »

NUD
Download Here: http://www.wyrdysm.com/games/NUDv005.zip

This is my latest project, NUD is a tower defence game that will emphasize patterns in the way you build towers. The towers in the game, called NUDs, provide adjacent NUDs with various bonuses. This means that you need to come up with the optimum pattern of NUDs to maximise firepower. By emphasizing the way you build instead of relying on the usual formula of damage types vs armour types I hope to make the complexity of the game more transparent since no complexity is hidden in the creep stats or behaviour. The smooth undo/reload wave system also allows you to correct your mistakes painlessly instead of having to restart the level/game and waste time getting to the same level.

Features:
- Full Undo/Checkpoint saving system that allows you to seamlessly go back and correct mistakes
- Adjacency bonuses. NUDs will provide combat bonuses to other adjacent NUDs.
- Mazing, you can build your NUDs to block the invaders and shape their path.
- Three NUDs to build, each with three levels of upgrades.
- WarpNUD. These NUDs move the invaders backward in time. Merely slowing them just ain't good enough.
- LancetNUD. These NUDs have a fixed facing, meaning that you have to carefully plan out where you put them
- Smooth, easy to use GUI and speed control features

Planned:
- Another three NUDs to build
- More levels, lots more levels
- Map/NUD editor and user content (the game is already setup to handle user content easily)

I'd love to get any comments/suggestions from you peeps, hope you enjoy the game.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 11:44:19 PM by th15 » Logged

equalsP
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 02:45:12 PM »

I love tower defense games, well I love Pixeljunk Monsters and must compare every game I now try out to that one.

It was fun, though I only got to the second level, heh. I'll hack at it more but those fast triangle people are a pain, wasn't really prepared for them.

I like the interface and the style, I think they work really well.

A few things which I wish were in the game.
- dummy towers. Well maybe more like a base of a tower with no top. Make it cheap so you can build walls to block paths, but you can still build towers on them later with a discount (?) but this way route would cost more in the long run (say base is $20 then building a mono on it would cost $90 instead of the normal $100) or just have walls which you can not build on. Either way would be something new.
- unbuildable terrain. this is something I found from Pixeljunk monsters. If you haven't played it, its a tower defense game but you can only build on trees. And trees are placed in different locations on different maps making interesting scenarios because you can't always build exactly where you want, and you need to find the most effective spot to build
- scoring. some kind of scoring system that motivates me to do things differently. maybe you get more points for having less towers, or something to do with money, lives, and towers.

Overall, fun game. I'm going to play it some more and get back to you.

-EDIT:PLAYED MORE------------------------
I got to Keyhole and died some more.
- Just to clarify what I meant by unbuildable terrain, because you do have the narrow pathways that you can not build near normally, but I was also thinking about something like blank spaces which you can not build on no matter what but the enemies can walk through.
- I noticed that once I go faster than 300x it doesn't seem to change speed, but the number goes up to 1000x.
- The lancers fire as long as there are enemies on the screen. I'd rather they just fire when they see an enemy, because sometimes they fire right before an enemy gets in range and then end up allowing the enemy to pass alive, but if the lancer had fired right when It saw the enemy then it would be dead.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 09:58:23 AM by equalsP » Logged
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 06:00:15 PM »

Game's pretty hard. Shocked

Will give more feedback later.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
th15
Level 0

-

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 02:33:21 AM »

New version release
Download here: http://www.wyrdysm.com/NUDv003.zip

Got a new version out. Should address most concerns so far.

Code:
v0.03
-Added a couple more levels
-tweaked adjacency bonuses, higher level nuds now give better bonuses
-tuned the survival algorithm better
-lancet nuds now only fire when a target is sighted
-tweaked baby steps so it's easier
-$ payout per invader killed increased 50% so you get to build more nuds
-tweaked some other levels too

th15
Level 0

-

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 11:43:05 PM »

New Version Released
Download here: http://www.wyrdysm.com/games/NUDv005.zip
Hello guys, just put up a new version that prevents most exploits and cheats. It also provides statistics about your NUD performance, allowing you to fine tune your maze to perfection.

Mononud upgrades are also more expensive, this makes it less viable to use only mononuds for a level.

Changelog
v0.05
-Added NUD stat tracking and display. NUD killcount, accuracy (% of targets hit over shots fired) will be displayed when you select NUDs. Holding down the K key will show the relative number of kills each NUD has. This allows you to see which of your NUDs are performing poorly. you can press k to display kills graphically.
-Improved target tracking when targeting invaders affected by warp NUDs. Also reduced the force of the warp NUD effect but increased its duration. Overall the Warp NUD should be more effective.
-Added resource rate and interest rate display in the resource tooltip
-reduced base interest rate slightly.
-Improved nud aiming algorithm, making them more accurate
-Duonud and Trinud costs increased slightly
-Added anti-juggling code
-refund value of nuds reduced to 0.5
-fixed the highscore dialogue box
-wiped the highscores
-fixed another bug with highscore submission

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: