Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 06:39:59 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTrial by Viking - Out on Steam Today!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: Trial by Viking - Out on Steam Today!  (Read 13312 times)
dqhendricks
Level 1

There is a small mailbox here.

View Profile WWW
« on: June 20, 2014, 10:09:04 AM »

Hello TIG. This is Trial by Viking. It's a side-scrolling platformer where you are a viking working as an agent of Odin. In unfamiliar lands, you will meet friends and foes, solve a few puzzles, and gain the powers needed to stop the trickster god, Loki. If you are able to survive tricky gauntlets of magic and steel, you will find yourself face to face with some of the worst terrors that the nine worlds have to offer. Good luck!

Features:

• morph into a polar bear
  • control a flying Valkyrie through mazes of hazards
  • ride on the claws of a great owl like a zip line
  • fight a Kraken in a swimming pool
  • bombs, double jump, dash, grappling hook
  • an ice axe for freezing enemies and turning them in to stepping stones
  • ride on a viking ship while having axe battles with Kobolds
  • keys, switches, gears, ropes, hidden areas, and other tricky elements
  • multi-platform
  • 130 levels
  • 27 intense boss/miniboss battles
  • 20 permanent upgrades
  • over 75 unique ai/enemies
  • power ups like mini viking, metal viking, and time slow

Web: lastlifegames.com/trialbyviking
Twitter: @0xlastlifegames
Mailing List: click here
Demo: click here

Update #1:

Development of Trial by Viking started at the end of 2013. Honestly this game started out with an idea of mixing Ghosts and Goblins with Cut the Rope, because I thought that would be weird and cool, but it has grown into something so far from that. I really wanted to give the game a great feel, and some of the earlier concepts just weren't right. I still make use of ropes and being able to cut them to solve puzzles, but I have changed it so that you use an axe to cut ropes instead of some sort of mouse/touch system.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 02:32:52 PM by dqhendricks » Logged

dqhendricks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 08:10:36 AM »

Update #2:

One of the things I had liked about Spelunky, is how different elements in the game can sort of interact with each other. I made sure that many of the elements in Trial by Viking can affect each other in maybe unexpected ways, which sets up some interesting situations. For instance, you may throw a boomerang to activate a switch that turns on a fan that can blow a block upward enough for you to push it onto a ledge with a pressure plate that opens a door.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 07:17:53 PM by dqhendricks » Logged

absolute8
Level 5

WTF, some aggressive nerd... (•̀ω•́)و ̑̑

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 08:52:11 AM »

Looks great!  Hand Thumbs Up Left Grin

dqhendricks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 09:28:43 AM »

Thanks @absolute8! Been working real hard on this.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 12:41:15 PM by dqhendricks » Logged

dqhendricks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 09:49:15 AM »

Update #3:

Been kicking around some new skybox ideas for the game. Here's one of the concept pieces. It looks a little warped in 2D, since it's meant to be a 3D skybox, but you get the idea.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 10:25:08 AM by dqhendricks » Logged

dqhendricks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 07:34:55 AM »

Update #4:

Hey guys, I finally got some new animations for a Valkyrie character that's in the game. The idea was to have a few entire levels where the Valkyrie picks you up and flies upward as you steer her through hazards collecting sunstones. Here's the initial takeoff sequence.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 07:45:36 PM by dqhendricks » Logged

dqhendricks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 02:56:29 PM »

Update #5:

Hey guys. Here's a quick gif of the gear mechanics. Gears can control a bunch of different level elements. You might need to connect certain gears together in order to be able to rotate them the correct way to unlock a passage for instance. I added this because it's something I haven't really seen around. It opens up some interesting situations level design wise, because it's not just an on/off switch, you can use it to move things between two values.

Still trying out a few artists for all new skybox backgrounds. I'll post here when I have more to show.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 08:15:49 AM by dqhendricks » Logged

DeadAlienCult
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 04:40:06 PM »

Looking great so far!  Nice job, fellow viking game developer  Beer!

dqhendricks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 08:29:04 PM »

@DeadAlienCult Hah, nice! Your game looks pretty awesome. Gave you guys a yes vote on Greenlight.

dqhendricks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 09:49:34 AM »

Update #6:

Quick little gif of dash/roll. Allows you to plow through tough spots, as well as do some long distance jumping.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 10:25:50 AM by dqhendricks » Logged

DeadAlienCult
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 10:24:54 AM »

@DeadAlienCult Hah, nice! Your game looks pretty awesome. Gave you guys a yes vote on Greenlight.

Kickass thanks! Will do the same when yours is on Greenlight Smiley

Green Gospod
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 11:25:43 AM »

VIKINGS!
Will the game enemies? Evil
dqhendricks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2014, 12:10:34 PM »

VIKINGS!
Will the game enemies? Evil

Oh yeah, for sure! So far I have 40 enemies/AI, each with very distinct looks, behavior, and animations. There are plans to add 20 more. There is a boss/miniboss fight every 5 levels. On occasion, the lower level bosses become normal enemies in later levels. There will be 70 distinct AIs/enemies total, and each of those may have a few levels, increasing their difficulty as you progress.

Next update I'll post some enemies, and maybe a boss! Evil
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 04:12:13 PM by dqhendricks » Logged

kingdinosaurgames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2014, 01:44:39 PM »

Every time I think I'm sick of Metroidvanias I see another project that looks awesome.  Also, Trial by Viking is just a fantastic name.  I'll definitely be following your development, best of luck!

dqhendricks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2014, 10:32:11 AM »

Every time I think I'm sick of Metroidvanias I see another project that looks awesome.  Also, Trial by Viking is just a fantastic name.  I'll definitely be following your development, best of luck!

Thanks for the kind words!  Toast Left
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 07:31:35 PM by dqhendricks » Logged

dqhendricks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2014, 09:45:32 AM »

Update #7:

Hey guys, I've been asked about the enemies in Trial by Viking, so I wanted to post a few gifs. This time up, we have Dragonides, Gargoyles, and the Werewolf boss  Evil

Dragonkin can run and jump very fast, and if you aren't ready for it, you'll probably get stomped.

Gargoyles are sneaky creatures that hide among the statues. You have to be careful where you step.

A bit of wall jumping to escape the claws of that crazy Werewolf.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 02:11:11 PM by dqhendricks » Logged

kingdinosaurgames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2014, 11:18:27 AM »

The animation for the enemies looks beautiful, what are they made in/animated with?

dqhendricks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2014, 02:38:40 PM »

The animation for the enemies looks beautiful, what are they made in/animated with?

Cheers! These were made with 3ds studio max, zbrush, photoshop, and crazy bump.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 01:42:34 AM by dqhendricks » Logged

saluk
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2014, 12:40:09 PM »

Game looks fantastic! Especially the way that gargoyle comes to life is pretty convincing.

About the rope issue - did you ever think about just having a switch next to a rope puzzle that resets it? Could be magical or whatever. Or putting them close to checkpoints and letting the player chose to respawn, depending on how your save system is built. I know for me, even if the bonuses you get are optional, I'm going to want to make sure I get those bonuses Smiley

I think the only downside to this game I have is, where are Erik, Olaf, and Baelog?

dqhendricks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2014, 10:44:58 AM »

Game looks fantastic! Especially the way that gargoyle comes to life is pretty convincing.

About the rope issue - did you ever think about just having a switch next to a rope puzzle that resets it? Could be magical or whatever. Or putting them close to checkpoints and letting the player chose to respawn, depending on how your save system is built. I know for me, even if the bonuses you get are optional, I'm going to want to make sure I get those bonuses Smiley

I think the only downside to this game I have is, where are Erik, Olaf, and Baelog?

Thank you!

Those are some great ideas! I might use one of those.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 02:48:32 PM by dqhendricks » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic