Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411528 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58432 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 10:01:42 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTrial by Viking - Out on Steam Today!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Trial by Viking - Out on Steam Today!  (Read 13402 times)
dqhendricks
Level 1

There is a small mailbox here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2014, 02:21:26 PM »

Update #8:

I think this might be a good time to explain how the level and upgrade systems work, since it helps understand the game a lot better.

There are 130 levels, and completing each one unlocks the next. You need sunstones to purchase permanent upgrades for your character. I switched the currency system up a bit by making it persistent, meaning when you replay a level, all the sunstones that you have already found will be gone. It will tell you how many sunstones are remaining to be found for each level. This adds a bit of a treasure hunt element to the game.

Anyways, here is a quick snippet of the Hydra. It a really tough enemy that shoots fire balls from each of its heads, and if you get up in his face, he may try to swing you around a bit. You definitely don't want that.

Edit: Image updated.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 10:40:53 AM by dqhendricks » Logged

DarthBenedict
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2014, 06:04:21 PM »

That boss looks pretty fun, but the viking could really do with an arm waving animation for when he's getting eaten.

dqhendricks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2014, 11:22:30 AM »

That boss looks pretty fun, but the viking could really do with an arm waving animation for when he's getting eaten.

Hah, yeah, that's a very good point. He looks WAY too calm. I'll see what I can do about that  Screamy

dqhendricks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2014, 02:18:08 PM »

Update #9:

We've been hard at work creating new backgrounds for the game. These backgrounds are layered 2D for a parallax effect, both side to side, as well as up and down. Some of the backgrounds will be terrestrial, and others will be high above the clouds. You will see ancient statues of enormous scale, cities on floating islands, and torn battlefields within the 9 worlds.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 04:42:13 PM by dqhendricks » Logged

dqhendricks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2014, 02:17:26 PM »

Update #10:

Everybody loves water levels, right?  WTF

« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 11:38:08 AM by dqhendricks » Logged

dqhendricks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2014, 03:52:40 PM »

Update #11:

Wanted to share some action gifs I took recently. Sorry for the long loads!

battling a wyvern and wind imp at the same time.

a quick cannon ride. also maybe the first time i've posted this background anywhere.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 03:59:29 PM by dqhendricks » Logged

dqhendricks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2014, 01:31:39 PM »

Update #12:

"Mario did it", is like the, "Simpsons did it", of platformer game mechanics.

dqhendricks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2014, 09:36:29 AM »

Update #13:

For the story, I knew I wanted to touch on themes of betrayal and retribution, the non-linear nature of time in Norse mythology, and some kick-ass friends that play a part in saving the cosmos with you. I decided the best way to tell it was through game engine made cut scenes and scripted interactions with NPCs during levels as well. In this part of the story, our friend's feathered spy barely escapes. This is a WIP at this point, but I will update here as it get's more polished.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 06:10:28 PM by dqhendricks » Logged

dqhendricks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2014, 12:38:01 PM »

Update #14:

Here's what it looks like to be fighting a treant at night. They have rotating shield magic as well as a stomping power that sends tremors your way. A very tough opponent.

dqhendricks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2014, 11:58:24 AM »

Update #15:

If there is anything I hate, it's crates. I can't seem to complete a level without smashing every last one. :D

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2014, 02:20:54 PM »

This game has the sickest name.

I'm not sure if the cute art style of the character matches the gritty colors.

Dementor561
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2014, 04:17:17 PM »

Ditto. I think the game looks fun, but I think the artstyle needs a tad bit of reworking. One thing I really dislike is the repeating floor tiles. They are so bland, boring and repetitive. You ought to make them something more creative.
dqhendricks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2014, 06:29:20 PM »

Ditto. I think the game looks fun, but I think the artstyle needs a tad bit of reworking. One thing I really dislike is the repeating floor tiles. They are so bland, boring and repetitive. You ought to make them something more creative.

I appreciate the feedback. This has been something I have been trying to improve on. I have been messing around with adding more diversity within each platform set, using double sized pieces, decals, and shaders to see what I can do about making this a little more interesting.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 12:27:21 AM by dqhendricks » Logged

dqhendricks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2014, 12:30:49 PM »

Update #16:

Some levels are a little puzzly, but other levels are just a mad dash.  ZEL Moblin

dqhendricks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2014, 10:28:07 AM »

Update #17:

I've had this idea for a level that has rising water for a while now. I finally got around to it. You have 15 seconds of breath, and the water wakes up the anglers spread throughout the level. some other cool ideas were changing the pitch of the water rushing in sound, depending on whether you are submerged or not. eventually you will be able to get an upgrade from odin that doubles your breath time. all together i think it came out really cool.

dqhendricks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2014, 11:20:30 AM »

Update #18:

Throughout the game, there are levels where you ride a viking long boat. This means you have to play fast and not miss the bus. Since I have other levels where you can actually swim in the water, I had to find a way to make this water lethal. So I added a megalodon :D

dqhendricks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2014, 11:19:06 AM »

Update #19:

I was like, if he's gonna charge, he should definitely crash through some stuff  Evil

dqhendricks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2014, 02:00:54 PM »

Update #20:

The Grappling Hook! This is one of the upgrades that Odin can grant you later in the game. So many grappling hooks I've played with take too long to aim and are cumbersome to use. I wanted to make sure this one was simple and fast to use. Sorry for the darkness of my gifs. For some reason my screen caps are way darker than the actual game
 Shrug

« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 06:16:41 PM by dqhendricks » Logged

Krux
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2014, 04:26:46 PM »

I do like the concept, but I have to agree, that the graphic style needs to be worked on. Even though the game uses 3d rendered sprites, everything looks flat. The background layers look like they are really far away, and there is a deep canyon between the player layer and the backgrounds.

To the diamonds in the last gif. As a player I want some instant feedback, when I collect something. In Mario you have the instant coin "bling" that instantly tells you that you got them. here the information is delayed for some reason. That's something that feels not cool and not appropriate to a viking game. As a viking you want somthing that is instant. Some base effect and "BAM" you've got diamonds. Not something that is "......shhhhh...hah..". If you know what I mean.
dqhendricks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2014, 06:39:41 PM »

I do like the concept, but I have to agree, that the graphic style needs to be worked on. Even though the game uses 3d rendered sprites, everything looks flat. The background layers look like they are really far away, and there is a deep canyon between the player layer and the backgrounds.

To the diamonds in the last gif. As a player I want some instant feedback, when I collect something. In Mario you have the instant coin "bling" that instantly tells you that you got them. here the information is delayed for some reason. That's something that feels not cool and not appropriate to a viking game. As a viking you want somthing that is instant. Some base effect and "BAM" you've got diamonds. Not something that is "......shhhhh...hah..". If you know what I mean.

Thanks Krux! I appreciate the feedback.

Loki's constructs (the levels) are floating in the sky, which maybe doesn't look right to some. I'll see what I can do about making it more natural, but it's tough because I am trying to mix 3D with 2D.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 07:41:03 PM by dqhendricks » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic