Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411992 Posts in 69441 Topics- by 58486 Members - Latest Member: Fuimus

June 17, 2024, 02:40:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Halp!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Halp!  (Read 1885 times)
Araj
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 02, 2009, 03:18:42 AM »

Hello! Gentleman

First of all sorry for my bad english!
I'm Spanish and work as a C/C++ programmer in the electric Spanish company (Endesa), recently I bought an Acer Aspire One (love it!), and as I have plenty of time right now and love indie games, i was planning on creating one myself. The thing is, that as I only did some simple games in the university with OpenGL and in the work we use iLog (the most hideous windows managing library in the world!) i don't really know how to start or what library/engine is the best suited for my needs.

I don't want to write my own library from scrath (i have plenty of free time right now... but not that much!), but to use one for writing little 2d games (platformers).

Any ideas/recommendations?

Thanks in advance! Beer!
postlogic
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 03:27:02 AM »

I recommend Allegro. It's what I prefer. Other people will tell you other things. Gentleman

No animals were harmed during the making of this post. Except one.
increpare
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 03:29:18 AM »

For normal platformers, it might be worth your while to consider something like gamemaker.  I use allegro and sdl mostly.  I found allegro either to set up.  They both hide window-management stuff pretty well. There are lots of other options though.

You should check out this thread for a list, I guess.  It has some descriptions as well, so.
Araj
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 04:12:51 AM »

Thanks a lot!

I think i'll try Allegro. For the first game and while i familiarize with the lib, i'll try to make something like pong or tetris clone.

I'll stick with my beloved VisualC++ 2008 express, is it easy to install/configure Allegro? It's a dll or a bunch of .c files that you have to compile every time? I don't really mind if it is like this, but just for curiositys sake. (I'm at work and cant really look right now the Allegro web).
mirosurabu
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 04:15:48 AM »

I'll stick with my beloved VisualC++ 2008 express, is it easy to install/configure Allegro? It's a dll or a bunch of .c files that you have to compile every time? I don't really mind if it is like this, but just for curiositys sake. (I'm at work and cant really look right now the Allegro web).

Allegro can be linked statically or dynamically so you don't need to compile bunch of .c files each time.

Regarding VC++ 2008 Express, I don't use it, but I believe Allegro can be easily installed for VC++ compiler.
Kekskiller
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 08:07:11 AM »

Another engine to consider is SDL. Sometimes it's a bit tricky, but not limited. Good for n-dimensional selfmade dinosaurs.
Araj
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 08:42:01 AM »

Thank you all!

I just installed VisualC++ Express 2008 + Allegro on the Aspire One and run some of the demos. It's not the ideal programming environment, but as i do travel a lot... you know, it's better than nothing :D

Anyway, thanks! I'll post here the results and/or experiencies/rants :D
Javilop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 08:47:56 AM »

Hombre! Bienvenido!

I'm spanish too Smiley, from Murcia. I'm really happy of seeing other spanish people here!

If you want to focus on 2d games, and you already now a bit of C++ I recommend you to use my own library: IndieLib. It is focused in rapid game development.

If you are planning of making Tetris, I made myself a tutorial some weeks ago: http://gametuto.com/tetris-tutorial-in-c-render-independent/ It dosen't use IndieLib, because it is focused in game logic, so I only drawed rectangles using SDL that is really easy.

But if you visit the IndieLib link I provided you, you will be able to see the IndieLib tutorials.

Please, visit that link, you can ask me whatever you want through a private message, and... puedes escribir en español, faltaría más, jeje.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 08:54:13 AM by Loover » Logged
Araj
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 03:12:02 PM »

Hola! :D

I will try IndieLib :D It has all the things that i need right now, and seems easy and fast to develop with. Ill try to do something with that lib and post here the results.

Gracias! :D
Javilop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 04:08:00 PM »

Great! Ya he pillado a otro :D
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic