Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411863 Posts in 69424 Topics- by 58470 Members - Latest Member: AuroraMaster

June 04, 2024, 12:27:54 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioFunctions - my new music album ( - free! )
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Functions - my new music album ( - free! )  (Read 23708 times)
Lukas
Level 3

View Profile
« on: January 02, 2009, 12:51:30 PM »

Hi guys!

I hope you forgive me that I open a whole new thread for this even though I already posted a short notice in the "show us some of your music"-thread. I suppose it deserves it. Smiley Tell me, if it doesn't.  Shrug

Anyway, I made this album of music with a friend of mine (and some collaborators) over the course of summer '08.

Functions is kind of inspired by "Nine Inch Nails - Ghosts I - IV" but well, I guess it's also pretty different.

It's a collection of 19 (actually 20 but see for yourselves) short instrumental tracks.

It's totally free and I encourage you guys (and anyone) to download it and maybe even use some of the tracks in own games, videos, whatever... you can use it in any way you want and need.  Beer!

But heck, all the rest is explained and documented on our own little website (I'd call it a "digital CD case and booklet") so well... why don't you visit it for some minutes, give the tracks a listen or even download the album (53mb-.zip with all the ID3-tagged .mp3s), it's free anyway:

www.acd-functions.de     Well, hello there!

So, how you guys like it? Smiley

BaronCid

By the way:
I already credited you guys on the site but I think it also needs to be done here:
SPECIAL thanks to haowan (who did the cover art!) and increpare (who played the bottle-flutes on track 4)! You guys are awesome.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 12:56:28 PM by BaronCid » Logged

I make (60s/70s) rock music. Listen to my band's new album here: www.speicher.bandcamp.com
Nitro Crate
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 12:55:04 PM »

Hmm this seems really interesting. Downloading it right now. I'll let you know what I think of it in a bit.

Edit: Woah it's pretty awesome. All this with equations?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 01:04:07 PM by Nitro Crate » Logged
Reiss
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 03:04:36 PM »

pretty sweet.

All this with equations?
whoa.
Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 05:18:38 PM »

I think he means that... actually, I don't know what he means. Undecided

It's not procedural, if that's what you mean?

They're nice, but repetitive.
Lukas
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 05:27:30 AM »

All this with equations?

Kind of. We did some and created the graphs. And after we had the graphs created we wrote down our parameters for each track and started making them. Smiley

BaronCid

I make (60s/70s) rock music. Listen to my band's new album here: www.speicher.bandcamp.com
BeskarKomrk
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 09:14:59 AM »

Download link on the website is broken for me. It was working yesterday, but my download got cut off, and now it's not working.
Lukas
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 10:12:47 AM »

Download link on the website is broken for me. It was working yesterday, but my download got cut off, and now it's not working.

Sorry, that was me doing something strange with the file-names.

I will fix this whole thing soon but for now you just have to klick on the picture INSTEAD of on the "functions.zip" to download the album.

That should work for now Smiley

BaronCid

Radial
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 11:51:20 AM »

Wonderful!
Lukas
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 03:43:48 PM »

By the way:

I corrected some stupid errors I did within the .html, so all downloads should now function properly!

BaronCid Smiley

Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 03:47:26 PM »

all downloads should now function properly!
AHA, I GET IT Gentleman

Very nice, by the way.

muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2009, 04:38:16 PM »

I listened to this and enjoyed it. The Ghosts influence is very obvious, but you could do much worse as far as influences go, so that's fine with me.
BeskarKomrk
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2009, 11:27:28 AM »

I like it so far. I'd be interested to hear more about the writing process, and how this whole "functions" thing works.
Lukas
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2009, 03:27:18 PM »

I like it so far. I'd be interested to hear more about the writing process, and how this whole "functions" thing works.

Well, I could write something about it right here. Smiley
The whole album startet with me making some random graphs (functions) that looked nice/interesting together, some curves, lines.
I then thought how long I approximately wanted to make each song and how long the overall album should be. I chose 19 as a good amount of tracks so the songs are around 3 minutes long. Well, then I numbered my graph... the x-axis got 19 dots for each track and all the curves' values for each x got written down into a table. I then had parameters like "overall speed", "overall agressiveness of sound", "overall lenght", "human voices on the recording" (oh, I forgot to mention, I gonna put that onto the site soon... all tracks' lenghts are a multiple of 00:19s (which is also the amount of tracks and is a number that reoccurs in most equasions I used).
From the last week of July '08 to the first week of September '08 I put together the tracks always having a look at the table I made.
As you can see on the website, I set up a little "home studio" in my room, cramming together all kinds of equipment I had.
It's not much and not expensive stuff but something. Smiley
There was: a.) The main recording station (Table, PC, dual-monitors, lots of cables, my USB-sound-interface with connected microphone and stand, amplifier and monitor speakers, I used in-Ear headphones for the mixing though)
b.) The synth-station: My former PC with the Audiomulch-Software on it. (and a connected Keyboard) I also used the PC to channel sounds from the main station through it... kind of like a audio processor but way mightier. All the tracker/drum-machine stuff (mostly on track, for example) was done there.
c.) The Guitar-Corner: I used 2 electrical guitars, actually. One PRS Singlecut and one (highly modified) Ibanez... something... nothing too expensive. (concerning the mod: I got most of the black finish off with a grinder, exchanged some pick-ups, lifted up the string-position, put more and harder springs into the tremolo-system. It's basically the guitar for strange sounds.) Many guitar-sounds were directly processed through my red effect-thingy and sometimes through my Crybaby-Wah.
I also sometimes used a classical guitar. (directly with the microphone)
d.) The drums. They belong to Magnus, my friend and drummer in the project. We recorded all drums with the one microphone we had, simultaneously! I guess you can here that but we tried to cache it out by playing around with EQ-settings, mic-positions, effects. You hardly ever hear really clean drums on the recording.

I (and Magnus) did all of the writing and recording during that 5-week-period. It was a pretty spontaneous process. Sometimes I just got outta bed, had something in mind, turned the PC on, cranked up the guitar and recorded a sample, or I kept up from evening till morning doing some things, had some sleep, woke up the following evening, feeling really fucked-up and willing to do a sample. We did most things in samples! Many things on the recording have been recorded in other versions before, crammed together in different ways until they were finally re-recorded. I had a huge data-base of tracks and samples on my PC and on the internet! (private archive) I exchanged the stuff with my drummer (who was at home most of the time and just came over during the last 2-3weeks to record the drums and play around himself. Some of the tracks are actually based on his ideas. (f(10)=)
I mostly built the tracks with a basic foundation and numerous overlays. Especially f(1)= and f(12=) have lots of simultaneously running tracks. (many guitars)  For the overlays we oftentimes looped the foundations over and over through the room and played random stuff over it until we came to something interesting and recorded some samples.
I also have to say that we "recycled" some old material as far as the table-values allowed it. But we never just left a track in it's original shape. We oftentimes cut them, applied some additional EQs, Effects, different kinds of things. F(13=) even contains a whole new, overlayed drum-recording. (last half of the track, all the rest is maybe 1.5 or 2 years old shit I found on my old computer's HD)
The stuff we put into it also wasn't really "recycled" the "official" way. It's more like releasing content that was once produced but never released, we just wanted to open up our "treasure chest of fucked up wonders". :D

Yeah... the last days (when we had all the material) were also pretty intense... we had to get through our whole labeled files-directories, get all the tracks together, make the final mixes, ask other people's opinions, do remixes, get the tracks ready, organize a cover, and finally put it all into a .zip and seal this thing, swearing to ourselves that we never put those backs back into our audio-programs again.  Droop We were actually already pretty fed up with all the chaos, so we liked the idea of simply letting it be.

Well... yeah... that's all I guess... unless someone of you still wants to know somethin'. Smiley

The website was built in iWeb (got myself a MacBook this autumn) this christmas holidays and recently I got myself some mbs of webspace and the domain... so now it's released. Smiley
Magnus and I can now burn some CDs with Functions on it (like... 50), print the cover-inlays with the tracklist and the website's URL on the backs, put all that into thin CD-cases and throw that shit around everywhere. Smiley
We definately want to install something like a flash-based, simple guestbook (any ideas where we get a good one, free?) on the site and simply put the CD-cases with the album inside on some fitting locations in our nearest city. :D  Like hang them on a string and let them float around under bridges, tree-branches and so on until someone picks up the CD and gets onto the website. Crazy stuff like that. I think it sounds fun. xD

Thanks for all the comments, by the way! Smiley
BaronCid

P.S.: Maybe I could set up a little compo in the "Competitions"-board in which people have to make little games containg the Functions-tracks and also fitting them a bit. Smiley What do you guys think about that idea?

increpare
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2009, 03:54:26 PM »

increpare (who played the bottle-flutes on track 4)!
Erm...not bottle flute...bass slide whistle, like this one:

Lukas
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2009, 05:50:08 AM »

Erm...not bottle flute...bass slide whistle, like this one:

Ooops.  :D Didn't know that. Gonna correct it on the website asap! Smiley

Baron

Lukas
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2009, 03:46:40 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/user/acdfunctions

Update: I created a youtube-channel to make the album easier accesible to more people. (and to get some comments/connections)

So... ahm... why don't you just give it a visit, leave a comment etc.?  Smiley Maybe even add me as a friend or spread the word in other ways. :D

BaronCid

P.S.: Puh-lease.  Beg

C418
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2009, 06:18:08 AM »

Because nobody wants to comment. You don't know how often I tried to get some comments.

Kekskiller
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2009, 07:49:21 AM »

Fire and Motion, guys! You just need to shit music like a 1st place techno label does it and comments will flow - independent from quality! That's like the law of getting fame, I guess.
Fuzz
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2009, 08:08:30 AM »

I only just found this while aimlessly browsing "unread posts". I've listened to it a bit on Youtube and I'm going to download it now. It's really good. I saw your old music thread a while ago but never got around to downloading any of it. Is there any chance you could reupload some of that stuff? (eg. the music from this thread)

EDIT: Maybe you should credit the artwork and slide whistle to Alex May (haowan) and Stephen Lavelle (increpare) because having their forum/irc names seems a bit out of place on the site. Also, would you be willing to sell physical copies of the CD? (eg. I pay for postage and the cost of the physical materials.) If you're planning to print some copies of the CDs anyway, or already have, I'd definitely be interested in buying this in a more tangible form.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 08:55:49 AM by Fuzz » Logged
Lukas
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2009, 01:22:12 PM »

I've listened to it a bit on Youtube and I'm going to download it now. It's really good. I saw your old music thread a while ago but never got around to downloading any of it.

awesome! thanks!  Grin

EDIT: Maybe you should credit the artwork and slide whistle to Alex May (haowan) and Stephen Lavelle (increpare) because having their forum/irc names seems a bit out of place on the site.

You're right, I'm definately going to do that asap.

Also, would you be willing to sell physical copies of the CD? (eg. I pay for postage and the cost of the physical materials.) If you're planning to print some copies of the CDs anyway, or already have, I'd definitely be interested in buying this in a more tangible form.

Really? Awesome!   Shocked
Well, there is one pretty major issue there... you seem to live in the USA and shipping CDs over the atlantic should be quite a big thing to do. I don't even know if you'd want that since I can just "print" the CDs myself. (I burn a .wav-playlist on a CD-R, print the cover (and back of it and put it all into a slimcase) I'd feel stupid for charging you real money for that. (since it would be a single print just for you.
But: Why don't you print/burn a physical copy yourself? You could even create multiple ones, hand them to your friends (or random peple) and spread the word. Smiley The website-URL is printed on the inlay. You can download the (2,2 mb) high-res print-ready cover/inlay here: http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/2640/functionsinlayfinal.png

I already asked some minor labels from my city to publish my album and some liked it and were intersted but none of them seemed to feature my kind of music so they didn't really want to take it into their catalogue (amongst pop, punk etc.). Maybe they also just found it bad. :D

I guess I might print 10-20 CDs go to some small (indie) record stores in the nearest city and sell them at a rate of 3 or 4 € a piece. Would be fun to see how it'd go.

Anyway, I hope you (guys n gals) keep enjoin'
BaronCid  Beer!

P.S.: Concerning the music I did before functions... I might release a "dump all that shit into one pot and cook it!"-sampler with all more-or-less interesting old stuff soon. If someone might be interested in designing a cover/artwork for that... my ears are all open. This means:  Beg

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic